What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SamS, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Watched some of Pinocchio on BD last night. I don't have anything to compare it to, nor am I an animation or Disney expert. It did look pretty amazing for 70 years old. It did kind of almost not look like film, kind of like they re-animated the cels or something. I'm not contending they did this. But it looks very impressive, at least to me who knows little about Disney or animation or Pinocchio.

Glad to see studios keeping 1.33:1 stuff in its OAR. I tried to the "side panels" or whatever they're called. I didn't mind them, although I always get overly-anxious when anything stays static on my plasma screen for too long. I think the side panels change as the film goes along, but they stay for long enough to make me a bit uneasy, even though I'm probably worrying more than I should about burn-in.

2. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I picked up "The 40-year Old Virgin" on BD but haven't watched it yet and may not in weeks.

It includes the original theatrical cut which is nice, IMO. The original DVD did not (unless you bought the fullframe Wal-Mart version), and neither did the HD-DVD (unrated cut only).

Also picked up Baraka. Holy cow.

3. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Stevie Wonder-Live At Last

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Got South Park blu-ray at Best Buy. That store is now sold out. $54.99 priced matched with their web site, stickered at $59.99. It has TrueHD sound and 1080i video.

I called Target first, but they said they only had the SD DVD.

Attached Files:

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Got Pinocchio and Black Hawk Down on Blu today. Ordered Stevie Wonder's Live at Last on blu also.

6. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

me too this week

7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Is the Southpark Season 12 BD set region free?

I'm keen to order it!

8. It is a Paramount release and there has never been a Paramount release that uses single region coding to the best of my knowledge and this chart indicates it is all-region coded.

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

Chris

9. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I thought Pinocchio looked pretty awesome. I can't figur out how to find much fault with it. I mean it looks like every frame was remade by Pixar or somethin'...? It's just so pur', pur', purr-fect. The colour must be better than the original prints' were. The originals proably varied from one print to another....? 1940....aye.

The audio on the DTS Master track was age-impressive, IMO. Next time I run Pinocchio I'm gonna try the original Mono.

The extras that I sampled on disc 2 were worthwhile. There was a deleted song...the short Sweatbox thingy that revealed that Disney pioneered storyboads. I did the deleted scenes and alternate ending, told via storyboards. That was enough, and I was tired. I might get disc 2 out again sometime....

Disney dunn'ed goo't, me thinks.

10. Ken, you are one perverted SOB...LOL!:laugh:

11. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

After watching Pinocchio, I noticed something very alarming..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stromboli and Peter Grant, separated at birth?

12. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What's the blu-ray movie that has the dentist and plastic surgeon in it, and the plastic surgeon has the dentist come in and take a look at his "work".

I want to play it but don't remember what movie that is.

13. Rachael Bee

LOL...Didn't you know Grant used to be his body double! :laugh:

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Looks like Pavarotti to me.

15. If you can remember an actor that played one of the parts, it might be easier to come up with the name.

Chris

16. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Better hide my bootleg Pinocchio posters....

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I did a Yahoo search on "dentist plastic surgeon blu-ray" and there was Good Luck Chuck right at the top.

18. Just got "Primal Fear" a so-so transfer from Paramount that deserved better. A terrific little thriller.

19. Rachael Bee

Is it Novocaine? Is that on BD yet? It's on D-tape. That's the only dental thriller I've watched in recent years.

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

No, it's Good Luck Chuck. I decided to just continue on with South Park which sure looks and sounds a lot better on the Samsung 5000 than it does on the LG BH200.

21. That is interesting that you see a big difference between those two players. I have both and sure can't tell any difference with Blu-ray playback. Both use Broadcom BCM7440 for decoding. Is South Park a 1080i or 720p encoded Blu-ray? I think the deinterlacing and scaling solution is different.

Chris

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

It is 1080i. Maybe that is what is causing the big difference.

23. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My Stevie Wonder "Live At Last" on Blu came quickly from Amazon today.

24. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

No new disk, but picked up a Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD today. Couldn't resist $525 and a 6 month same-as-cash plan. I did try though. The brochure mentions dts HD MA will be available in a future firmware update.... so I've got that in writing!

It's made in Japan. I'll have to check with AVS about where to get the current firmware. This unit was made last year in October.

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Has anyone updated firmware on a Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD? I have a disk ready, but no instructions. All I get is a message saying "Data Disk".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.