What height are your KEF LS50 speaker stands?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timind, Jan 24, 2018.

1. timind

timind phorum rezident Thread Starter

I have my LS50s on 24 inch stands which puts the tweeter approximately 7 inches below my ears. Thirty inch or higher stands seems pretty tall so I'm wondering what others use.

Thanks.

2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I always have Noel at Skylan build my stands so the top of the speaker is between 38 and 40 inches above the floor.

28" stand + a 12" speaker = 40. So generally somewhere between 26 and 28.

timind likes this.
  3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

KEF's stands for the LS50's are 24" tall (plus whatever height you run the spikes).

I run my demo LS50's on 25" stands currently. I really think they sound pretty darn good on anything in the 24" to 28" height's.

Ivand, Helom and timind like this.
  4. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

24" plus the spikes. I recall KEF recommends 24"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    GoldprintAudio and timind like this.
  5. timind

I didn't think to check KEF's web site for stands. They offer 24" stands for the LS50 so I guess that's their recommendation.

edit: they also offer a 25.7" tall stand.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

24" is too short for an LS3/5a sized speaker, I don't care what KEF recommends.

Unless you're listening nearfield on a low chair (futon, whatever) you don't want your speakers only a yard tall.

George P, bluemooze and timind like this.
  7. Helom

Helom I'll take the monkey coffins

I have mine on 24" B&W stands, 25" when factoring the spikes. This puts the tweeter below ear level for my seating position. They sound good, but based on the soundstage height, another couple inches would likely be ideal.

8. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Some of these things are about personal taste, system balance and room acoustics...

mds and GoldprintAudio like this.
  9. johnvb

johnvb Active Member

[​IMG]

24" plus Isoacoustic Apertas on top, total of 26-1/2". But my listening chair , which is an office chair on wheels, sits on a 1" platform (basically a diy HD chair floor mat). So that puts my ears higher.

I think the 24" factory height recommendation is for best bass response, I have had the speakers higher, and bass did suffer.

Joe Spivey and timind like this.
  10. Robert C

Robert C Sound Archivist

GoldprintAudio and timind like this.
  11. timind

I'm watching a pair of those on ebay right now. How do you like them?

12. timind

As the speakers are aligned, any thought to simply tilting them back to get the tweeter aimed at your ear?

13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

These are the same stands that I use most of the time with my demo LS50's. They are nice....and exactly like one of the options KEF has.

timind likes this.
  14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

When I had the LS50s I used 24" stands which is the maximum height recommended in the manual. They are designed to have excellent vertical dispersion and to have the smoothest response when slightly off axis vertically. At the audio shows that are always that low to the floor. Likely designed for bass reinforcement from the floor as well.
    I started with the 24" height and then managed the distance from the walls, toe-in and port plugs from there. Sounded awesome, I miss the KEF sound.
    No crime in trying different positions but if you haven't fully optimized the height you have it may be worth doing. If they are too bass heavy try moving away from the wall and / or adding the port plug(s) and toe-in.

zonto, Ivand and ThorensSme like this.
  15. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Definitely experiment with the port plugs. I found in my room they seem to 'restrict' the sound and harden it up.

16. johnvb

johnvb Active Member

I titled mine back 6 degrees at one time, using the built-in tilt feature on the Isoacoutic stands. As Avanti states above, I found the speakers sound best off axis, under the ear level.

17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'm using 24" stands from VTI with good success. They're similar to the stands B&W supplies for the N805 and I've got them filled 3/4 of the way with sand.

Ear level is about 36" from the floor though it is a lounge chair so...

And yes, I sit nearfield.

When I had the passive version I had them on 30" stands and it could be part of the reason I found the bass lacking.

18. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Great thread as I'm in the market. Probably just go skyland...

"Ear level is about 36" from the floor though it is a lounge chair so..."
    What if you buy a different chair?

19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

My ears might be at a different height? But I don't plan on replacing it until it breaks!!

[​IMG]

SirAngus, Ivand, M.R.Collins and 4 others like this.
  20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have the KEF stands which are about 24" with another inch from the spikes.

Can I just say one more time how much I love the LS-50? I have 805 D3s in my main system which I love and are hands down the better speaker but I am just so addicted to the LS50's.

wgb113 and rednedtugent like this.
  21. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

what needs to be invented is a tracking device for my left and right ear plus movable
    speaker stands to follow me during my air guitar Pete Townshend jumps
    and David Lee Roth splits. :D

22. mds

mds Forum Resident

The Uni-Q tweeter/mid-range driver arrangement with the fins creates a very flexible speaker in terms of not having to set the speaker height up to match your ear height. I have found you can be in-line, slightly above or below and there is no difference in sound quality. For this reason I would not be concerned at all about your speaker stands nor the height they are placing your speaker's tweeters.

timind likes this.
  23. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Forum Resident

24" stands, but I sit low (cheap ikea poang). For regular chairs or sofa, I would need 28" stands.
    Actually, I am going to place a couple wood boards underneath this weekend, just to bring them up a little.

24. Robert C

Robert C Sound Archivist

I like them a lot. Easy to put together and very sturdy with the four outer poles. I used the rule of thirds to place my speakers and toe them in a very small amount (easy to do with my parquet flooring!)

[​IMG]

wgb113, ChrisR2060 and timind like this.
  25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have these too, in white. Filled with sand they are rock solid.

timind and Robert C like this.