What/how to upgrade this computer...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

To derail my own thread further, any advice about tracking down runaway processes in more detail would be welcome. For instance, the dwm.exe I mentioned earlier-in Task Manager: it never shows a big %, but jumps from way down the list to showing like 4 or 5%. However, Task Manager's sampling is not super frequent. And if I look at processor utilization it meanders from a few percent up to tens of a percent. I guess under Win7 I can kill that process...sigh, this is why I changed to Macs pretty much (though to be fair, I've used this computer for quite a while without issue. Then again I only use it once every week or two).

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

wdm.exe is a necessary process - don't try to kill it. The percentages you are talking about are not anything to worry about. If it truly bothers you, turn off all the extra fancy win 7 visuals:

How to Adjust the Visual Settings in Windows 7 for Best Performance

head_unit likes this.
  3. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

That process is basically integral to the GUI. You can't get rid of it. You could try turning off things like window transparency and go with one of the old school XP like themes that make everything blocky looking. I'm honestly not sure if that will help though. It's normal for the % utilization of that task to bounce around a bit when opening windows and moving things around, but that does seem a little high. I wouldn't call it a runaway process though. A runaway process would usually just keep eating up more and more processor/RAM and never stop. Are your graphics drivers up to date?

head_unit likes this.
  4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

There are probably other processes and services running that aren't necessary - that can help you a little bit. I don't know anything about your computer other than the model and win7, so the only thing I can recommend is this:

Black Viper's Windows 7 Super Tweaks | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com

some common programs are resource hogs and also leave processes and services running even when you don't need them. Some common ones are:

adobe acrobat
    winamp
    itunes
    head_unit and DyersEve726 like this.
  5. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

^^^This is going to be more effective than any other tweak not involving hardware or loading up a fresh OS, in my opinion. Other things to look for are practically anything Dell branded in the system tray that aren't graphics, keyboard, or TouchPad driver. Practically everything else is useless and running in the background constantly. Your system tray should only have a few things in it, and you should know what each one does. If you don't, Google it and find out what it is. Chances are, you don't need it and that program should be uninstalled.

head_unit likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd add that you should also uninstall any and all applications you recognize but see as being useless. Be sure to research whatever you do NOT recognize prior to uninstalling it. Doing so will very likely positively impact performance due to whatever processes are launched automatically.

This exercise is rather time-consuming. Therefore some prefer to just wipe everything and reinstall Windows.

You can also launch MSCONFIG and disable whatever you wish from the Startup section and the Services section, though for that last bit, I'd suggest merely disabling non-Microsoft services you see as being non-essential.

head_unit likes this.
  7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

To minimize these issues automatically use Process Lasso. It's a the same download for free and Pro versions. The free version is FREE but the free version will pop up a timed nag screen whenever you boot. Just install it and it will run at bootup every time afterward. You do not have to change anything in it, the defaults it chooses for your computer when installing are durn near perfect. Don't mess with it. Just "close" it with the X and it will stay in the tray. The slower the machine, the more apparent benefit this has, and it makes the machine feel faster and smoother. I have it (the Pro version) on all of my machines, and I have for many years. (This is particularly useful and easy for anyone having stuttering playback problems with Youtube etc.)

Bitsum

head_unit likes this.
  8. head_unit

What exactly does that do?

9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

It monitors all processes, and reduces the process priority of any process trying to use too much of the processor.
    (I should have noted above that the Pro version unlocks some advanced features, but the free version is completely sufficient for normal use.)
    The best example is playing a Youtube video, which will use a lot of the processor when it is in the foreground, the one you are watching. (Or viewing any video player.) Various other background Windows and other processes may try to use or even monopolize the processor for very brief times, causing Youtube to stutter. With Process Lasso that won't happen, it clamps down on any process that tries to use too much of the processor. With all the background processes Windows runs, there can be 100 and more things (processes) running. Process Lasso tracks all of them and keeps them all under control. And more. And you never know Process Lasso is there. It's most clearly useful for slower machines but it IS useful for ALL machines.
    Everything feels smoother. Your typing feels more immediate. Your mouse or trackpad or touchscreen motions feel more solid.
    It has a screen which shows processor use and what it is doing and has done. From that screen you can change some things yourself. But don't, you can't do better except in very rare situations. Just close the screen and let it ride in the tray.
    It's FREE.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    head_unit likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

(I own a still functional DELL D610 FYI, and have done a few cheap upgrades on it over the last few years).

Before upgrading any hardware, I would try reinstalling the OS first. Understood the the Win7 disks may be long gone so a decision would need to be made there. Windows 10 may or may not work anymore, on my D610 I actually cannot upgrade past Win10 build 1709 (CPU no longer supported, but keep in mind the D620 has a newer architecture than mine). But the reinstall will almost certainly speed up the system just by cleaning out years and years of garbage in the current OS.

For hardware upgrades, I'd go with the SSD upgrade first as that will see the most significant speed boost. And if the D620 takes 2.5 inch SATA drives, the costs should be pretty low to do that but again you'd need to rebuild the OS. Other upgrades I'd consider would be the RAM as mentioned, and possibly replacing the CPU with the fastest the system will support. CPU replacement also will mean re-doing the thermal grease (a good thing since what's there has likely dried out) and probably clean out the fan as well. You'll be amazed as the dust that accumulates after a decade of use.

Bonus btw on the SSD purchase is you should be able to mess with the SSD while keeping the old drive pristine. That way you have a clean "backout" path until the SSD is functioning as expected.

It's really up to you if you want to spend the time, and a little bit of money, to keep that old laptop going. I keep my D610 as I enjoy taking things apart and I actually use it for vinyl recording and futzing with 32-bit Win10 in general. And the parts are pretty cheap because the damn thing is so old.

head_unit likes this.
  11. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I'm not sure about this model, but a LOT of old laptop CPUs are soldered right to the mainboard. Even if not, this would still mean complete disassembly of the laptop and spending money on a processor that's a decade old. Total waste of time and money for extremely marginal improvements. I would also consider it a waste of time to reimage on a 10 year old hard drive. If you're gonna go to that trouble, may as well replace the drive.

head_unit likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I believe the D620 is a business laptop, similar to my D610...CPU is extremely easy to replace on it as is the RAM, fan and the Wifi card. And the HDD is literally a few screws and it's out.

A SSD is going to see a significant speed improvement but a CPU upgrade in the OP's case I believe would bump him up to 64-bit support. CPU-Upgrade: Dell Latitude D620 processor support and that Core 2 Duo T7200 on eBay can be had for $5. The thermal grease would probably cost more money than that.

Honestly it's more time and resources than money, for a laptop this old. Parts are very cheap for them.

head_unit likes this.
  13. head_unit

Geez, parts really ARE cheap! I've thought about getting a somewhat newer laptop instead of messing around with the D620...but it RUNS, whereas something else used who knows? Plus I know in my heart I wouldn't get rid of this, it would become a spare to a spare and still bug me.

Probably the first step is try the Process Lasso that @JohnO mentioned, and then look and see if memory is still eaten up so much.

And while I'm at it, figure out how to create another user login that cannot see my Dropbox if I let someone borrow the machine...is that possible?

Gaslight likes this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Fine except there's very few distros now supporting 32 bit. A good one for a 32 bit system is WattOS. Nice graphics, runs on older hardware reasonably well.

15. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

head_unit likes this.
  17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I would be careful in what you do on the OS, since you have no way to rebuild it (at this time). Another logon ID might be a good test to see if your profile itself has a lot of junk running in it.

Also keep in mind on the 4GB RAM upgrade is that a 32-bit OS caps out at around 3.3GB or so. You'd need a 64-bit CPU / OS to leverage the full 4GB.

I have Lubuntu running on my D610 on HDD #1. It gets the job done.

head_unit likes this.
  18. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

For sure 32 bit support is dying. I would say Ubuntu and its flavors plus the larger distros are dropping off 32 bit support, but you can still find it among community driven distros. Debian still has a 32 bit ISO available and the excellent and newbie friendly Mx Linux still offer 32 bit support. The OP can slap them or WattOS onto his machine and experience a much more responsive and faster computer.

Watt OS looks nice. Based on Ubuntu ie. stable base and hardware support is not going to be an issue.

head_unit and McLover like this.
  19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Just want to co-sign CCleaner. I run it every week (not the registry though-stay away from that), and it does a great job of keeping things running smoothly. But as you've seen, an SSD is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

head_unit likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X131e with an AMD CPU, one of the older netbook ones, WattOS runs well on this machine in 32 bit. And it has reasonably nice graphics, and a graphics environment which works well on this machine. On our OP's machine, WattOS would be a speed demon. Great points made on this post.

Ric-Tic and head_unit like this.
  21. head_unit

Hmmm...Acrobat reader is probably on the machine, though not the full Acrobat. No Winamp nor Skype though I'll double check. iTunes...that's a good one. It is probably on there, and it does run a little program constantly, and I don't need it on that machine any more. I'll take it off. Take it all off! C'mon Dave, give me a break...
    oh, mental train derailed, where was I?

22. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  23. head_unit

My feeling is that the Task Manager doesn't update fast enough to really show the true percentage. The graph seems to show higher utilization.

24. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

*cough* Linux *cough*

25. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yup, it's been suggested. I'm afraid that linux is not everyone's cup of tea.

Another 2GB of RAM is the cheap and cheerful solution. Buy it before it's discontinued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.