What I Want in a Speaker- Does it Exist?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, May 15, 2022.

1. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

When I decided on the Devores, I was actively searching for the Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III. I listened to those speakers in two different stores. In both, the turntables they had were way out of adjustment. I know that negatively flavored my opinion. But it didn't matter. The Sonus Fabers never turned me on. As you say, they sounded different. For that matter, so do the Devore Gibbon X speakers. It's just their difference captures qualities I liked. Not the Sonus Fabers. Absolutely beautiful to look at, they never drove me to awe. I didn't want to listen to them for hours on end. With the Devores, I was sorry when our listening session ended.

Maybe this is all just me. Maybe it was two well meaning but incompetent demos. I don't know.

I reluctantly apologize for this result. I own an architecturally significant Arts & Crafts house. The Sonus Fabers would fit right in with my living room decor. The Devores will add nothing with their well made but ultimately pedestrian speaker boxes. The bottom line is they look like just another speaker.

avanti1960 and jonwoody like this.
  2. blue_lu

blue_lu Forum Resident

Not sure about the bass. But my ojas bookshelf really hits the other points.

Also - the harbeth shl5+ would tick those boxes, no? Less forward sounding than the ojas speakers...

3. Zos93

Zos93 Forum Resident

Graham Audio LS5/5s BBC monitors so they’re designed for neutrality, Sensitivity 88db and bass goes to 40hz.
    Perfect.

avanti1960 likes this.
  4. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

My criteria are this - does it make my toes tap for music with the intention of making my toes tap and when the artist(s) wants to get me in the feels does it get me in the feels. It's really all down to that. The rest is internet blather.

You're an experienced audiophile - you know very well that no matter how much one or several people like something you may not. And even if there were a speaker that hit all your five points on a measurement sheet you may still not like it.

5. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I agree, I think he still has a very adolescent perspective on the whole hobby.

6. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Pardon, but ‘ adolescence’ is calling someone else adolescent for having an opinion or want.

my toes tap depending on the music.
    As a musician with trained ears for over 35 years I know what I want to hear in a speaker or system.

so I completely understand his ‘ want’ and ‘ quest’ for what he specifically mentioned.

when I hear speakers or a system , I listen to timbre first of all and soundstage accuracy.
    Timbre covers most of transient speed , warmth, mids, highs, and lows ,etc.

Someone asked a simple question. And some of the fun in this hobby as in all hobbies is shooting the breeze with fellow audiophiles.

not everything has to be a dissertation.

Mercy.

7. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Careful what you ask for. You saw my similar thread and 27 pages, 5 months, and almost 5 figures later here I am with a big smile on face listening to my system. You already know the Fortes hit points 1,3,4 and in my opinion 2 and 5 also (but some disagree with these 2 points).

You are one of my favorite audiophiles on the Steve Hoffman forums Tony. You are knowledgable and excited about the hobby. You share and learn. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Have you given much thought to the psychological aspects of the hobby? For example I know your system already sounds excellent. Better than most audiophiles. Is it bringing you joy? When you listen to a fantastic system long enough it becomes normal. Normal isn't as exciting as it once was. But it doesn't mean it isn't a top notch system. I bet if you replaced your current system with a Cronus Magnum III and some Harbeth compact 7 ES-3 you might find some new excitement that lasts a period of time.

Not trying to check you. Just want you to be happy with the hobby. If you want to build a new system I'm onboard for the ride!

8. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

The SHL5+ are so 2 months ago for the OP.

Jacob29, jonwoody and timind like this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Seems to me the natural progression from your SHL5+ would be the M40.1/2, Spendor Classic 100s, or Graham LS5/8s.

10. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Charlie also carries the JMR line as well.

11. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Knowing your speaker / amp journey from reading here, I'm having trouble coming up with ideas. :)

But one does come to mind - the 40.2 (or .1). Have you considered that? It may not hit all your points, but you've come to like Harbeth, and already own the SHL 5+. The 40.2 is definitely not a sideways move, and I'd have trouble believing you'd be unhappy with them.

I've been thinking about trying these some day, they are in the "end game" category for me.

PS - I understand your desire to try new things! :)

timind, avanti1960, mreeter and 4 others like this.
  12. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

Love everything BB has said here! I am also a big fan of Tony's musings and his insights.

13. Fredrik_N

Fredrik_N Member

Rega RX5, preferably with some class D amplification (depending on amp preference) meets all those requirements, except not sure about the slight bass emphasis from 125hz.

Without having heard Harbeth SHL5+, I doubt whether the Regas would be be any significant upgrade on them though. Personally, a lot of testing of different integrated amps (class A, AB and D) revealed pretty significant variations in presentation of sound, and I would be inclined to look for ‘solutions’ there too.

E.g.; class A was nice, but I would not characterize it as being neutral. To me, the sound felt weighty but slow on the Regas (they are fast speakers). AB was nice, a lot of options there.. Same with D as for AB, nice but with better bass control than both A and AB. I know this is a way too crude an analysis, but it represents some personal ‘key points’ from what I’ve found from experimentation with my Rega RX5’s.

Are Harbeths known to be slow speakers?

14. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I wonder if taking a “speaker auditioning vacation” to check out the best prospects might be worth the time, effort and expense. Specially if a really substantial investment is involved. Nothing beats first hand experience.

15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Sounds like your looking for Sonus Fabers. :righton:

16. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The DeVore O/96s cover 1,2,4, and 5. Not sure about 3. But you should base your decision more on how the speaker sounds versus what the measurements show. As our ears are the final measurement device and honestly, in the end, the only one that matters.

jonwoody likes this.
  17. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

LOL, if it were anyone else but Tony we were trying to help here, that would be an expected input - but of all the audiophiles I've met he's perpetually on "speaker auditioning vacation"! :)

He's heard more speakers in his better months than many of us would hear in a lifetime. That's why it's tough for me to rec for him, and why I started the ceiling high with the 40.x.

I could think of a couple of models that would definitely be end game.... at least for me... but knowing he's tough to please, there are some really good (and expensive) Sonus out there...

Tim 2, SandAndGlass, timind and 2 others like this.
  18. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Everything is a trade off. But the various Magico speakers I heard in a treated room were probably the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. I think that some of them at least would satisfy the characteristics.

ggergm likes this.
  19. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Maybe his continual process is a big part in his enjoyment of audio. I’m the complete opposite. I find what I’m looking for and stand pat.
    Different strokes….

Glmoneydawg and timind like this.
  20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nothing herculean, just a non "lossy" enclosure that many big box Britmons use.
    It is subjective but refinement to me means lack of anything over the top, especially too much top end air that masquerades as detail.
    Also the ANs are still under consideration, just concerned about cabinet resonance.
    Also my current Harbeth's are sounding better after a week's absence recovering from a burst "frost free" hose bib pipe!

Tone? and jonwoody like this.
  21. avanti1960

exactly. seeing what comes out of the woodwork to explore in more detail.

22. avanti1960

and life in general !

23. avanti1960

not necessarily...

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  24. avanti1960

Possibly but doubtful- not really looking for bigger of the same.
    Referencing my current SHL5+ they are 95% end game for me.
    The issue is that my former Spendor D7 were so much faster and dynamic, nimble. Their problem was that they did not have enough mid bass and it made them sound lean occasionally. Otherwise they would have been it. Also I would like less cabinet warmth than the Harbeths create which occasionally makes the sound too thick- something that happened to my old Harbeth C7s as they aged.
    Right or wrong I attribute the Spendor's quickness and agility to their 89db spec.
    Splitting hairs for sure but something I like to do I guess.

25. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Open baffle an option? The owner of Whammerdyne is selling his personal pure audio quintets, if nothing else it would major for a fun audition with a fellow audiophile and tube enthusiast

Tone? likes this.