What if Gilmour had given the Division Bell tapes to Mark Hollis for The Endless River project?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star Thread Starter

Seeing Talk Talk as the Pink Floyd of the 80's (in a way they even more Pink Floyd than Pink Floyd themselves at the time), what do you think that would happen if David Gilmour had given Mark Hollis full access to the tapes from The Division Bell Sessions, including The Big Spliff, Soundscape and the outtakes that ended up on The Endless River? David had little interest in the project at the time (as can be clearly heard on the lack of soul, purpose and direction of the album), so I was thinking that giving the material to a true artist of organic sounds would take the project to another level.
    I was listening to "Spirit Of Eden" and just imagining how great would it be for this man to collaborate with Pink Floyd in some way.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  2. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

:confused:

3. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Junk in, junk out regardless of who was at the board.

4. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

What would Hollis do with hours of supposedly substandard Pink Floyd tapes exactly? Would you not have preferred him to be involved with the album from the beginning?

MungoMusic and SoundDoctor like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

then it would have sounded like mark hollis had the tapes for while.

6. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I liked "Endless River" (except the one vocal track which was crap) more than TDB and AMLOR (couldn't stand them, despite being my favorite band ever)

"We bitch and we fight,
    Diss each other on sight"

I333I likes this.
  7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Mark Hollis would have given them back.

8. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

I would have preferred them to give the tapes to Steven Wilson

Jerjo, bhazen, Roberto899 and 4 others like this.
  9. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

What would have happened if David have given the tapes to Max Martin?

fitzrik, GoodKitty, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think Andy Jackson did a fine job with The Division Bell and Endless River 5.1 mixes. The Division Bell 5.1 mix is among the best in my collection. I listened to it the other day and the 5.1 mix is incredibly immersive with sound dispersed in areas of my room where there are no speakers.

I thoroughly enjoy Steven Wilson's work and have quite number of his remixes. I just don't think Steven Wilson could have improved on Andy Jackson's work especially The Division Bell 5.1 mix.

12. NunoBento

Hahaha man, this was funny.

MitchLT, Spot778, SoundDoctor and 3 others like this.
  13. NunoBento

What's puzzling you?

14. NunoBento

By the way, I hope I was clear on the topic that I was referring to "The Endless River" as the album with lack of purpose and NOT "The Division Bell".

"The Division Bell" is only my favourite album of all time.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Talk Talk the Pink Floyd of the 80's?

I honestly don't get this love for Talk Talk. I always read good things about them, especially their later works - and then I listen and it's.... not to my taste. I hear nothing of Floyd in them.

I appreciate, I may have cloth ears, and I know Talk Talk had a bereavement, but they seem so..... ordinary....

16. NunoBento

Seriously? Have you listened to Spirit Of Eden? That's not ordinary by any means.

17. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

He’s puzzled by your comments regarding TER and Gilmour’s interest. As am I.

18. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I see them more as the Traffic of the 80s moreso than Pink Floyd. I second the suggestion of listening to Spirit of Eden or The Colour of Spring. There is much going on there.

19. NunoBento

Well, Gilmour's interest in the project was very little, as it was evident on the promotion of the album. He got Polly to write some (bad) lyrics for one track, gave the material to Youth to cut and paste from the tapes, Andy did the mix and that was pretty much it.
    The reason that the material was revisited to begin with was just because of the deluxe box of The Division Bell. The original idea was to release the outtakes within the box.

20. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I can see the link. But for me it would be more visual : licked covers with a proper identity (Hypnosys with Pink Floyd on a side vs. James Marsh with Talk Talk).

I can see also the link by melting success with a form of artistic integrity (kind of for PF).

But the music is so different that it is difficult to compare both on that level, except that they are both masters.

I would rather compare late Talk Talk to Slint and Gastr Del Sol (Drag City / Chicago bands).

NunoBento likes this.
  21. NunoBento

That's actually a great idea. He would have definitely done a better job.

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Oh, I've heard them. Not trying to thread crap - but it just sounds like pop music. Sadly, I find nothing there to drag me back. I guess this is one of those times where mucho praise is going over my head. :(

23. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

yea, they just might not be for you. Hopefully someday things will click (and you will see the error of your ways LOL) . Thats happened to me with a few bands I did not like initially. But seriously, you think Spirit of Eden sounds like pop music? I didn't like that album for a while because it sounded more like some free form jazz freak out rather than pop music.

24. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Spirit of Eden is a masterpiece. No need to be in jazz to love it but you ´re right about giving time to it to fully appreciate it (like Pet Sounds, Loveless)

correctodad likes this.
  25. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

It would be a shame that's what we got from Mark as the last thing he worked on.

bhazen and Stencil like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.