What if I have everything to playback ATMOS but I don't have any speakers FOR ATMOS?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michaeljones, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michaeljones

Michaeljones New Member Thread Starter

Well then, you still don't get ATMOS. If you're missing ANY ONE device on the list above, then no ATMOS for you! If you have all the electronics for atmos but a standard 5.1 or 7.1 speaker layout... you may still be getting an ATMOS signal into the AVR, but that isn't what it is outputting. In that case it's just outputting TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1. Your Processor/AVR isn't going to somehow emulate ATMOS with speakers that aren't there. MANY people get confused about that, because there IS an ATMOS DSP tech listed above that CAN emulate ATMOS... but that is for stereo signal through headphones ONLY! Do not get confused. In a home theater setting, if you don't have the speakers setup, you don't get ATMOS. That is an absolute.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What "list" are you referring to?

I take it you're trying to emphasize that requirement for height speakers. If you don't have a pair of height speakers (or equivalent "add-on" speakers that point up towards your ceiling), then there is no Atmos decoding done by your AVR.

So at minimum: 5.1 traditional speaker layout + 2 minimum overhead speakers = Atmos. This assumes you have the proper receiver and digital content with Atmos embedded metadata.

3. Michaeljones

Michaeljones New Member Thread Starter

Thank you so much Sams

__________________________________________________________________________[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.