What if Shelly Long doesn't leave Cheers?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes Sam became much more dumber. Kind of like you wish you were him to glad your not him

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, this forum has certainly gone off the rails with this one, and I bet everybody here is thinking the same thing...so allow me to fix it...

If Shelly Long had stayed...Frasier and Niles' father would have been played by Pete Best.
    NOW it's a proper thread! :D

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The good aspect of his character was when he found himself in sticky situations. Ted Danson is a hell of a comedic actor. The more stressed and agitated he got, the funnier he got. Not enough credit given for his comedic physical prowess. The way he moves is nothing short of amazing.

For instance, this scene made me laugh until I cried.

4. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I agree, but he turned out to be really good at physical comedy. I remember one episode where Rebecca starts making out w/ him, then abruptly walking away when she sees some rich guy she's got a crush on, and pushing him into a closet, I was struck by how well Ted Danson pulled it off. I also recall another episode where he kept getting more frustrated by some guy, and at the end, he's got his head in his hands, whimpering, "He's evil! He's evil!.....I can't fight the evil...." Brilliant performance.

905 and George Co-Stanza like this.
  5. jason88cubs

^^ is that the scene?

6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Danson was definitely tremendous with physical comedy. I remember the episode where he and Rebecca were both trying to buy the bathroom and pool room from Hill and Sam tries to bribe him with two twins. When Sam says, "Go ahead and touch 'em, they're real," he does this movement behind the twins that is like a game show host showing a contestant what they've won; it was the perfect bit of physical comedy.

905 and Neil Anderson like this.
  7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

And we cannot forget the scene where Woody asks Sam if he can borrow his car. Danson's reaction where he just laughs is just so awesome. It was the perfect laugh combined with great body language.

905 likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Here's a different kind of scene.

milankey likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Here's a weird one. Woody refers to Sam as Ted. Checked the HD version with clearer audio and it's true. And I also never noticed.

905 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If Shelly Long doesn't leave "Cheers" Steven Hawkings was right the first time.

11. jason88cubs

This has nothing to do with Shelly but I would have loved to see a Seinfeld/ Cheers episode together

12. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Shelley. :)

Jimmy B. likes this.
  13. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

If Shelley had stayed, then "Cheers" would have ended up like "Scrubs" or "How I Met Your Mother" -- two other shows that were built upon a foundation of sexual tension between the lead characters, ultimately running out of ways to say "will they or won't they", and then deciding that the final answer is "they won't", which just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth, forever ruining our memories of the show.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if shelley long doesn't leave cheers her career doesn't go into the tank, which, for all intents and purposes, it did do. and kirstie alley became a big star.

long's career became a series of failed TV shows and b-movies.

15. But they did on Scrubs - that's how the series ended.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Then I would never have watched it, that simple. Repulsive character

GrahamBW likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I loved Shelley Long in Cheers. She was my main reason for watching it. However, by season 5 I was sick of the Sam & Diane thing. All the break up/getting back together scenes were becoming stale. I remember thinking around mid-season 5, “FFS, just get on with it”.:D

Long was right to leave when she did. She’d be in her mid-30s at that point and knew it was now or never. Her film career never really took off and she kind of became a poor man’s Goldie Hawn. That said, it was probably still better than dragging on with Diane.:)

I liked Kirstie Alley, though she never seemed as big a part of the show as Shelley, who pretty much dominated the series. Alley really came into her own when her character dropped the tough, cool girl act and was revealed to be a total mess. Kirstie was great in those scenes.:)

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  18. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I thought she was/is very good on Modern Family. That show really blew it by not having her as a regular, and developing that character. That first episode really had me excited for her and that character, but she then pretty much disappeared from the show.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Did Shelley have some sort of hair problem? I noticed in the last couple of seasons of Cheers she was clearly wearing wigs as her hair was much thicker. Many of the things I’ve seen her in since (including Modern Family) look like she’s still wearing wigs.

20. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

It does sound like "Were you scared, Ted?" But it could also be "Were you scared today?"

21. Strat-Mangler

According to iMDB, she was on for 7 episodes.

22. Strat-Mangler

She was wearing a wig, yes. She feared the aggressive stage lights would eventually damage it permanently. Yes, really!

23. Bobby Morrow

It was quite fine before and I remember she had a couple of perms which made it a bit frizzy. I think it was the start of season 4 when it suddenly became much thicker and healthier looking.

24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I think Kirstie Alley's character was the worst thing about the show. I'm almost sure that I remember my brother telling me once that he wished there was an episode where Sam got mad at her and killed her off.

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It wasn't a very smart move for Long.
    Her career basically tanked after that.

Jimmy B. and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.