what in the WORLD is this clicking noise on 'rocket man' on my US gr hits LP????

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Thread caught my attention.

Went back and listened to my original MCA CD with Sennheiser phones on.

Sounds like it's just the stick hitting the cymbal. Maybe a little high up in the mix.

Plastic tips??

2. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

for what it's worth, on my system it clearly sounds like Nigel doing it. It is quite natural sounding and doesn't in any way distract from the piece. I like it, it sort of signals his entrance...

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It is not from the session or it would be present on every pressing & format of the song. It isn't audible on my Elton John Greatest Hits Canadian vinyl.

4. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Four pages for a ****** MCA pressing

Only on Steve Hoffman Music Forums

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Well, if nothing else we are thorough about our discussions.

6. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it's interesting to figure stuff like this out.

Grawlix likes this.
  7. bigmikerocks

Exactly

8. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I truly believe it is some type of artifact on one of Nigel's cymbals; pretty sure the mic was too hot on the hi-hat...I have always noticed this.

9. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

I think it's Nigel on the cymbal. I've heard that since Honky Chateau was released in '72.

On a side note, generally I find that Nigel's use of cymbals very restrained. Listen to a lot of EJ from the 70s and his crashes are very limited. Lotta tom, little cymbal.

10. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I think he's a highly underrated drummer; really follows the vocals well and just sits so well within the songs.

11. bigmikerocks

if it were nigel on the cymbal, you'd be able to hear it on the cd version

12. bigmikerocks

i'm convinced that some of the people commenting on this thread have read my description about where the clicks start and stop, and then go and listen to their CD of the song instead of the sample

13. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I hear it. That's obviously a sound either in the vinyl pressing itself - possibly from prior damage - or in the stamper. It's not on the master tape, as I have two master tape sourced digital copies, (DCC's GH and MoFi's HC) and it's not on my UNI original US vinyl pressing of HC.

It's also not on my Nautilus vinyl pressing (Japan?) of Greatest Hits.

So, it's either damage to your pressing (I would guess) or a bad stamper (unlikely.)

Btw, Thanks for taking the time to make the sample and post. That's a very clear-sounding setup you have. A little bright, but not a bad needle drop at all. Your cart or table seems to be intolerant of any surface noise, though. Some of the better carts are that way. (You used your Thorens and the Ortofon, yes?) Or maybe that lp's dirty? I'd like to hear another needle drop of a better pressing if you have the time.

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:agree:

15. bigmikerocks

I don't think it's just my copy, there are more than one instances from the replies above of people who have copies w the same clicks.

Yeah ortofon 2m blue and thorens table. It's just a noisy copy with really bright mastering.

16. sloopjohnb

sloopjohnb Forum Resident

Wow, just listened to the download and that is one of the most annoying things I have ever heard. Sounds like a mastering error, not on the 2 versions of the song I have. I have the song on Honky Chateau, I do not own the greatest hits LP.
    I would look for another copy.

17. bigmikerocks

yeah i'm thinking it's some kind of mastering anomaly based on the fact that other people are hearing it on their copies

i PMd steve to see if he'd check this thread out. i'd like to hear an opinion on what could cause this in the mastering, if it's triggered by the cymbals etc, and how this could get through QC.

i got this for like 50c and i have all of the source LPs for these songs (my honky chateau on UNI sounds pretty great) so i'll just wait for a better looking 50c copy!! :)

18. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

nope. DJM UK first press.

19. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

My brother had the UNI label release of Honkey Chateau when it first came out. I got the pre-recorded cassette a couple of years later. I don't remember any issue with the sound of Rocket Man on either of those.

Then in about 1980 I bought the then-current MCA reissue with the "clouds" label (and non-gatefold cover...grrr), and it had the anomaly that the OP describes. So I found an earlier MCA reissue in another store (MCA 2017 "formerly 93135") on the tan/brown MCA label (gatefold cover, but not the original with the foldover flap) and it had the same problem.

Sounds to me like whatever frequency the closed-hi-hat is at was jacked up so high that it's distorted and impossible to track properly.

A couple of years ago I bought a VG+ UNI issue of HC and it does not have this problem.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

On Tumbleweed Connection - Love Song seems to have the same thing.

21. bigmikerocks

nope. my OP is discussing the US MCA pressing of EJs greatest hits

22. bigmikerocks

Attached Files:

23. bigmikerocks

I think that is an actual metronome on 'love song'. Someone suggested that the clicking on my LP on rocket man was metronome or a click track leaking through, but that's not the case

24. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

have you considered sending the LP to another member who can needledrop it on their setup and compare? I have the feeling it's attributed to a worn, or misaligned stylus. I'm also not sure what type of stylus you have on your cart, but that can play a roll too. When I used to have an Ortofon cart, the ORG reissue of Nirvana's Nevermind was near unplayable. You could have a hard time tracking extreme transients.

25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Posts in this thread from other members with the clicking sound on their copies have shown that the problem is from somewhere within the mastering chain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.