What is a Blu Spec CD?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Never heard of this. Claims to play on regular CD player but has Blu-ray sound quality. Sounds like bull crap, but what do I know?

2. Lonson

Lonson Just a Lucky So-and-so

It's a regular cd and I've never seen a claim from the manufacturers that it sounds like "Blu-ray sound quality." If you google you'll find accurate information about the manufacturing process.

3. Vinny123

Thanks. Checked some info out. Not to impressed or motivated to buy.

4. Lonson

I've bought quite a few, happily.

5. Vinny123

You guys are making me interested. I checked a few out on Amazon.

6. Just CDs but are manufactured on Blu-ray pressing machines. Not much different to standard CDs. It's the same redbook quality (44.1kHz/16bit).
    It's said that writing data dots on the layer in this way would improve the reading and playback quality.
    Think I have only two Blu-spec discs. Each of them's a different version (Blu-spec and Blu-spec 2).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    DiabloG, Vinny123 and patient_ot like this.
  7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The format's "improvements" may or may not be fairy dust, but any sound recording is only as good as its mastering/mixing, and I would look at blu-spec releases to be potential upgrades from what otherwise is available.

For example, there are some blue-spec Miles Davis albums (Agharta, Pangaea) that I personally love, and which are rated very highly by forum members (try searching for that to see more specific comments). Some consider these to be the best recorded Miles Davis albums in any format, original vinyl included.

Does this have anything at all to do with the specific CD format? Who knows? Probably not. But if people are liking them more than the earlier CDs, then they're better.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    JimmyCool and Vinny123 like this.
  8. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I have a handful of them. If there is a difference vs. regular CD I can't hear it. If you want an album and the price for a blu spec is reasonable then go for it, but personally I wouldn't pay a premium just to have it on this particular sub-format.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It has no bearing on audible sound quality whatsoever.

If the mastering of the disc is bad, it'll sound bad.

If the mastering of the disc is good, it'll sound good.

Same thing with regular, non-Blu-spec CDs.

10. Vinny123

Well said.

DiabloG and patient_ot like this.
  11. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Forum Resident

I have purchased some Blu-Spec CDs from CD Japan....NOT because I believe there is some kind of sonic fairy dust involved, but instead because there have been some cool vintage reissues in Japan on Blu-Spec that aren't available anywhere else. For instance, the complete Sony/Columbia Byrds CDs, including both the stereo and mono mixes. Others here can likely name other great reissues that happened to turn up on Japanese Blu-Spec....

12. Vinny123

I’ve noticed this.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  13. Did the same but via Discogs. The certain Japanese albums I wanted weren't available in normal CD format so I bought Blu-specs. I'm not disappointed, it plays good on my CD player.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  14. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Forum Resident

Isn't blu-spec the coating on that makes them more scratch resistant?

15. Lonson

No. From wiki

Blu-spec CD describes a Red Book CD manufactured by a process introduced by Sony Music Entertainment Japan in late 2008.[1] Its name derives from the similar manufacturing process to that used to create Blu-ray Discs. Instead of a traditional infra-red laser, a blue laser is used for recording the pits on the CD master that is needed for disc replication. The blue laser purportedly creates more precise pits, which Sony claims reduces distortion in the optical read-out process.[2]

On 28 September 2012, Sony Music Entertainment Japan announced "Blu-spec CD2" or BSCD2, a progression of the Blu-spec CD format which employs a more precise BD cutting machine, a master disc that is made from the same smooth material as silicon wafers for chip manufacture, and a different recording layer material for the master disc. Sony refers to this process as "Phase Transition Mastering".[3]

A Blu-spec CD can be played on all CD players and does not require a blue laser to be read.[4] The same holds true for Blu-spec CD2 discs.

16. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I've bought some blu-spec cds from cdjapan. usually ones that are the mini-LP versions. they sound good and the packaging is very nice. Do they sound better? I have no idea. But I'd rather have the mini-lp version anyways. not the cheapest way I know.

CDFanatic and bradleyc like this.
  17. Vinny123

Thanks for all of your responses. Interesting. Been into audio for a long time but this is new to me.

18. moops

moops Forum Resident

Isn't it about improving accuracy of playback ?
    If the disc contains a crappy sounding mastering, all it means is you're going to get a more accurate playback of that same crappy sounding mastering.

The majority of my Miles Davis recordings on Columbia are from the first run of Blu-Spec CDs, released 2009.
    Great sounding discs, but I think that has more to do with the mastering they contain than the Blu-Spec tech.

RrobynneUK and JimmyCool like this.
  19. kevin

kevin Senior Member

The only one I own is the Bloomfield Kooper Stills Supersession disc which is well worth tracking down imho.

20. Vinny123

Are some or many/all of these discs made from the master tapes?

21. Lonson

These are from Sony Japan, and it's hard to know what source material they have used, compounded by the fact that I don't read Japanese so even if it's listed in the material with the discs I can't decipher it.

Many which I have bought use previous masterings, manufactured with the new process (Miles Davis titles, those by a few other artists). When I can compare the previous issue they are using the mastering from, I do honestly believe the process yields a bit better sonics in my system--a tad less harsh perhaps, a bit warmer. Nothing earth-shattering, but enough for me to prefer the Blu-Spec CD of Blu-Spec CD2 version.

There's a budget series from Sony called "CTI Supreme" which does purport to use flat transfers of the master tape of titles and use the Blu-spec CD process (at a time when the Blu-Spec CD2 had come out and was mainly being used). These do sound excellent to me, the best these titles have sounded on digital for the bulk of the titles I have heard.

And there's a series of Blu-Spec CD2 Dylan titles still available that sound fantastic to me. They use the latest masterings (for example all the new ones that were done for the Complete Album box set with the exception of "Street Legal" for some reason) and they come in meticulously duplicated LP facsimile sleeves the even include replicas of the inner LP sleeves and stickers on the cellophane. These are the digital versions I listen to with the exception of the same title that are on SACD from Mobile Fidelity Labs, I like these Blu-Spec CD2 versions myself better than the Sony SACD versions.

So in general Sony has picked very good masterings to use if not mastering the material again, and I've liked those I've purchased. Some a LOT.

22. kevin

kevin Senior Member

The Supersession Blu Spec disc was mastered at Foothill Digital in NYC in 2003.

Tuco and Vinny123 like this.
  23. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

tl/dw: A rip of a Blu-Spec demo CD turned out to be bit-for-bit identical to a rip of the same music on a "normal" CD:

24. Vinny123

Interesting