Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

SH Spotlight What is an RCA-VICTOR Orthophonic recording?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hoover537, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Current operator of the Freedonia peanut stand

If the recording was made before the early 1950s, it doesn't employ RCA Victor's "New Orthophonic" technique. The sound was definitely improved, it is especially noticeable in orchestral recordings. The overall clarity of the sound is quite apparent. At least part of the improvement in sound was due to the simple fact that RCA began recording using magnetic tape in late 1949.
    Many RCA Victor releases state they are recordings are "New Orthophonic" on the jackets even if they aren't. It was largely just a marketing slogan as I said. For example, two early Elvis Presley releases For LP Fans Only and A Date with Elvis contain dubbings of Elvis's Sun 78s with echo added. They obviously were not recorded using the "New Orthophonic" process. RCA Victor was the US distributor for EMI in those days; EMI recordings were issued in the US as "New Orthophonic" as well.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. JamieC

JamieC Forum Resident

They graded on an Orthophonic curve.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Here is another great one before they dumbed down the sound.

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

And this one, my oft-used example of a one mic Victor church recording.

DangerousKitchen and EVOLVIST like this.
  5. ella_swings

ella_swings Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, "Orthophonic" really has nothing to do with the echo effect RCA Victor added in the 1950s to its 1920s, 30s, 40s recordings? For a long time I associated Orthophonic with "horrible echo effect".

6. misterjones

misterjones Forum Resident

All I know is that the earliest use of the echo effect I'm familiar with is the following 45 RPM set from 1956, which states the "New Orthophonic" process was used. Now (assuming this is the first use of that effect), the question is whether RCA Victor considered the echo effect to be part of the "New Orthophonic" process or something they separately thought was a good thing to add.

[​IMG]

7. misterjones

Further the above, here's an LP from 1958 - one of my all-time favorite album covers, by the way - that has the echo effect added but no mention anywhere of the use of any Orthophonic process (new or otherwise).

[​IMG]

Shawn and EVOLVIST like this.
  8. misterjones

Three weeks later, it arrives. Great stuff! Glad it didn’t get lost in the mail.

9. Interesting. There’s at least one Elvis Presley LP variant like that too. See the first entry on this web page:

LPM-2011 A Date With Elvis | elvisrecords.com

misterjones likes this.