What is Fiona Apple up to these days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Apr 27, 2010.

1. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Is that Fiona? I don't recognize her on this photo.

2. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

One can only hope she'll release at least another album.

mrjinks likes this.
  3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

"I miss that stupid ache"

4. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I loved The Idler Wheel..

dee and BlueTrane like this.
  5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I hope she is looking into a complete works vinyl box set! (Not holding breath though)

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

7. mrjinks

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, but any fan of Fiona should be required to view this at least 50x:

oboogie, wes4usc, dee and 6 others like this.
  8. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Wow great performance!

mrjinks likes this.
  9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I've just watched the first two seasons of "The Affair" and the title song made me curious. So I bought all 4 of her albums and listened to them today. I really like what I heard. I was occasionally reminded of Tori Amos and Regina Spektor, but that's a good thing in my book.

Glad I found Fiona Apple. I expect I will be listening to her albums quite a bit in the future. Very interesting artist and some of the arrangements are awesome. The bonus DVD for "The Idler Wheel..." was great to watch too.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    dee, mrjinks and George P like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

I really love her second and third albums.

Bender Rodriguez and wolfram like this.
  11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It's not so easy to get a real feel for the separate albums when you listen to a row of unfamiliar albums in one go, but I might tend to agree with you. There seemed to be notable step up from the first to the second album. But I will need some time to form a proper opinion.

mrjinks and George P like this.
  12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Fiona gettin all Leon Redbone on that crowd :tiphat:

mrjinks likes this.
  13. mrjinks

The 2nd is my favorite to date, but she's a VERY interesting artist and there's always some interesting stuff going on with any of her releases. Since you're new to Fiona, one thing you'll definitely need to do, once you become familiar with the 3rd album (Extraordinary Machine), is backtrack to the earlier version of that album which was never officially released, but was (and is) widely available.

The story at the time was that her label wasn't keen on the 3rd album - didn't hear a single - and was reluctant to release it. But then a few tracks leaked and then the whole album did, in excellent sound quality. Fans begged her label to put it out and then ... Fiona rerecorded almost all of it and the label put THAT out instead. I think two of the original recordings made the released album, but that's it. Anyway, I would speculate that more of her fans prefer that version than what was released (this old poll sort of supports that) - it's got a more "baroque" sense of production, and I'm sure it's still easy to find on the interwebs...

She's also got some nice one-off tracks here and there, like a couple tunes on the Pleasantville soundtrack (Across the Universe, notably) and others scattered here and there. I really would love to hear album #5, but not much news on that front, sad to say!

Bender Rodriguez and George P like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

What is that version called?

15. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

It's typical for Fiona to disappear for a few years. At the rate she records, we could be looking at another 2-3 years for new music as it's only been 5 years since her last release. Her previous album arrived after a 7 year wait; the one before that took 6 years.

My favourite work of hers will always be the original version of "Extraordinary Machine"... If she ever does another reissue (NOT on Plain Recordings, hopefully), I hope both versions are included.

mrjinks likes this.
  16. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

It's usually referred to as "Extraordinary Machine (Jon Brion Version)" as he produced the original recordings.

mrjinks likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. And it's only out there in MP3, right?

18. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Might be serious, but it's still funny!

Also, 9/13 is her birthday. Her 40th birthday.

dennis1077 likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Fiona explains here about the delay for the third album, recording it, her writing process, her opinion on the first version of the third album, etc, here. It appears that the released album is the one that she wanted released and that she feels the first version wasn't finished.

Still, it would be great for the original version to get released, in good sound.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    oboogie, murphywmm and mrjinks like this.
  22. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

And a heads-up to collectors that Fiona is an artist who includes exclusive-to-Japan bonus tracks on her CDs (albums 2, 3, 4)...
    Also: ITunes will give you a number of stray tracks: Frosty the Snowman, some others, and this fabulous minor-key cover of the "Pure Imagination" from the original Willy Wonka film:

Finally: if you get a chance to see her live, she's amazing. One of my most memorable concert experiences (in the best sense). :)

mrjinks and jon9091 like this.
  23. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Yes, there has been no official release. I think it's still streaming on Youtube as well.

24. mrjinks

What are the Japan bonus trax, and how would you rate them?

25. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

When the Pawn Hits ... in my all time top 20 I would wager.

For some reason the other ones didn't stick even though they are obviously brilliant.