What is it with all these super narrow cell phone videos?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevintomb, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Apple (and other phone manufacturers) could actually lock the camera app to only record video in landscape mode. Not sure why they haven't/don't, but it is possible. Try using the iOS Weather or Clock apps in landscape. Doesn't work. They have the ability to control the orientation, and I really wish they would, because I, too, hate vertical video.

Of course then, people might still hold the phone in portrait orientation and they'd end up with sideways video. I figure that problem could be solved by having some sort of on-screen warning that the phone is being held wrong.

Dan C and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Stupid, stupid, STUPID!

chilinvilin likes this.
  5. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

The first time I shot a video using my iPhone, it was using the vertical aspect. I thought I would be able to rotate the screen in "POSTPRODUCTION" :D:D

After downloading it to my PC and using a few programs, I found that I couldn't. I was really mad :cussing: . I had to think about for a few minutes and realize that that wasn't going to work.

6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Care to elaborate?

7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I think I'm going to start shooting diagonally, just to drive you mad.......

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

An app that takes a vertical vision phone and then extracts a tiny, awful-looking, low-res horizontal image from it? Stupid. For nothing, you can just learn how to hold the phone correctly when using it as a camera.

[​IMG]

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh...so that's how it works. Hell, I heard about it and figured it just simply disabled vertical mode. It's pointless anyway since people who actually care the slightest about this simply hold their phone properly while shooting video.

I can ignore VV (vertical video) for the most part. Amazing how many people are posting this crap on Facebook, etc. When it seriously gets my blood boiling though is when some 'citizen journalist' happens to walk into a newsworthy situation and can't bother to hold the phone properly. It's sickening how much of this complete crap we're seeing on air now. If you think you're capturing history or perhaps CNN might be interested in this stuff then for the love of god why can't you flip your goddamn phone over!!!! :realmad::cussing:

dan c

dan c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.