What is it with Discogs sellers? Post your horror stories here...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by glamorbowie1, May 10, 2021.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I got a nightmare buyer at Discogs. And he returned again 8 months later under a new screen name. It starts often with a request for additional packing materials. They never ask about what you use to ship, just start making requests that are borderline demands. Then you look at their feedback see all the red Negs. This one I googled him and found info in other forums calling him a seller's horror story. And they mentioned he was kicked off of ebay. He was called a total lunitic. I won't go into it exactly. But every 6 or 7 years you get one of these. You know it's pretty bad when their reputation is all over the internet. And the feedback has previous sellers outraged, stating his threats and demands were reported. All you can do is laugh really, and try not to let it get to you.

2. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

This one is a big one for me. People just seemingly list their items on any listing that shares the catalog number and leave it at that. This is a pain if you are looking for early CD pressings from West Germany or Japan. The lack of item specific photos is a pain and I don't know why Discogs doesn't seem to want to implement them onto the site when eBay has always had that ability.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  3. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

I guess it would result in much higher it costs.

And not having to provide photos is a big plus for sellers with a big inventory and little manpower.

NumberEight likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It used to be a real chore to get good pictures or scans of the front, band, and labels for LP/CD selling listings. Now with cellphone cameras improved so much in the last 5-6 years, and the ability to do square pics, it's nothing to sit for an hour and get 50 LPs all done. Multiple pictures so you can choose the best. It is worth that extra hour once a week to get good shots of the real details. If you have the stock worth showing off, then show it off I say. If you have a large stock and little manpower, then list slower, and few items per day.

I've contributed hundreds of pictures for Discogs LPs that were either missing pics or the ones provided were awful. I felt it was time well spent, and many of the LPs sold. Out of 2,000 listings I created of my inventory, I did maybe 450-500 pictures which is about 200 listings needing additional pix. 70 to 80 LPs I added to the database that was previously missing.

The nice part is I can leave my stock up for sale and it will bring in money for years, I am expecting. Even if sales go very slow something will move and drop $20 into my pocket. So it's time well invested.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Discogs did remove the awful nasty and untrue feedback he left me. So I'm back to 100% Positive!

6. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Just an example: I you sell 20 items daily for 10 dollars each you need to list 40 items. Because some will sell very slowly and others will never sell. If you want your business to grow you need to list 50 or 60 item for 10 dollars. If you sell 4 items for 50 dollars each making pictures makes more sense.