What is it with hipsters and cassettes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rocky's Owner, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I recently paid about $20 for cassette. About 20 cassettes, that is. They’re a nice way to pick up a bunch of music for cheap (so are used CDs, but I’ve ran into more cassette deals lately). I do have a car with a cassette player and that does make some difference, but I’ve also had a decent cassette deck at home since the 90s.

DiabloG and DRM like this.
  2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

While we're at it, we should go back to mono.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Serious question, why so much for the Nick Drake? Thanks.

4. Devin

Devin Time's Up

I still have my Pioneer CT-M50R Six Cassette Changer. Never use it. Perhaps I'll sell to the highest hipster bidder.
    [​IMG]

5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Exactly. Cliched and stuck.

DrewMeyer likes this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I assume that later got changed to "don't trust anyone under 30"

ralphb and BurntOutBassment like this.
  7. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

Just remember it's not the hipsters to blame for the high price of second hand cassettes, it's all of us who binned our collections, hence creating rarities .

zphage and DrewMeyer like this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The only people who should be concerned about people buying Cassettes are the people who are also trying to buy Cassettes.

zphage and DrewMeyer like this.
  9. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

As you might be aware his records didn’t sell very many copies pretty much until the 90s when he got some posthumous attention. The only cassette releases issued were in the 70s so very few copies exist out there.
    If the question is why I personally paid so much it’s because he’s one of my top 3 favorite musical artists so I was willing to spend a lot to get something rare and collectible like that.

ralphb, Pinknik and vudicus like this.
  10. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Thanks for showing it off, what a deck!

Devin likes this.
  11. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air Thread Starter

You paid $50 for a used cassette? My puzzlement continues.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The only person lobbying for social status is the OP with this thread. It's called projection.

ralphb and DrewMeyer like this.
  13. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I paid $50 for a memento of my favorite dead musical artist. I’ve paid more for less meaningful things, as I’m sure we all have

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

His money, his fandom. He's obviously not puzzled and that's all that counts.

15. Rocky's Owner

So it's about owning an object and not the actual enjoyment of listening to the music? Because the sound on a cassette from the 70s is anything but good.

16. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I'm fine with them buying cassettes. It leaves plenty of cds to buy for peanuts.

Does anyone even make tape decks anymore? I have a nice technics from the 80s that is in good shape.

17. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

I must have missed that. I always thought they sounded even worse than cassettes, but they were my parents' and probably worn out.

18. Rocky's Owner

How much do you charge per session doctor?

19. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

It’s about a lot of things, just like collecting anything. If everything I bought and consumed needed to be practical and utilitarian then my life would be pretty boring

DiabloG and thehatandbeard like this.
  20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Imagine a life so empty and joyless that you would actually have a problem with this.

21. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

The only downside!

22. Rocky's Owner

Seems a few hipster feathers have been ruffled with this thread.

23. Rocky's Owner

So collecting cassettes for you isn't about the actual music and sound quality, but it's about owning items from your favorite artists, like buying autographed pictures or old tickets stubs, or other memorabilia. Makes sense.

24. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

The classic cop out! Start with a proposition that belittles a large population of people, staunchly defend said opinion despite countless people refuting your points, and then belittle said people again for coming to their own defense against your baseless criticism. Just admit you live a joyless life and let other people have their fun

rfs, Danby Delight and DiabloG like this.
  25. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

By the 90s, the metal tapes sounded really good. Nearly as good as CDs. But the pre-metal (brown? type I?) sounded bad.

I think a lot of the resurgence of cassettes could be due in part to vinyl becoming more expensive. It also takes a long time to get a record pressed (isn't there a waiting list at most places?).

Unfortunately, I've found it much harder to get a good-sounding tape deck than a good turntable. Tape decks are a lot more complicated and harder to fix. The decks from the 90s that sound the best tend to have weird electronic issues.

For me there's definitely a nostalgia for tapes that I don't really have for vinyl, probably because vinyl has become so mainstream. That's definitely not about nostalgia anymore (if it ever was).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.