What is Paul McCartney releasing next? Life after Egypt Station

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

For the people who are saying "he JUST released one, why talk about this?" You don't HAVE to talk about it, ya know!o_O

You can simply ignore this and let those who DO want to talk about it, talk about it.

...Anyways, I would love a new Fireman album, if it's anything like the last one. Didn't he say at one point in the last few years it's 'about time to make another one'?

2. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Well.........yes, there's THAT.............

Arnold Grove and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  3. 905

905 Senior Member

Press to Play and/or Off the Ground Archive I hope.

omikron, cmi and JLGB like this.
  4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

An album of rejected songs isn't appealing to me.

ironbutterfly likes this.
  5. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm no McCartney scholar, but Paul has plenty of fine songs that were left along the road side the last 30 plus years.
    A revamped Cold Cuts would be cool.

theMess, Eska68, Elliottmarx and 4 others like this.
  6. Ringo Hendrix

This gives me a thought about an Egypt Station 'leftovers album': it's been said (by either Greg and/or Paul or someone else, I can't recall at the moment) that these were rejected largely because of album flow, not quality. I know Greg mentioned he was surprised at the quality of the outtakes.

So in theory, I suppose it wouldn't be like Egypt Station's Pipes of Peace. It would theoretically be tracks of high quality that don't fit with ES, implying it would sound like it's own independent thing.

This all hypothetical, of course, but it's just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    theMess, Eska68, JLGB and 7 others like this.
  7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

My irrational hope is that him and Greg knock out another 10 songs early next year and put out another album next summer. But it probably won’t happen.

Maybe make an album with Ryan Tedder, songs like Fuh You and Nothing For Free would be welcome.

Or Giles Martin was a good collaboration from the NEW sessions

8. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

If there’s gonna be something like Egypt Station he should refrain . Go back to a cover’s album
    But he’s Paul and he has fooled us many times before

omikron likes this.
  9. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

I am leaning towards opposed on making a follow up album where the crux of the album is leftover Egypt Station tracks.

I am sure they are fine songs for the most part but there will be the stigma of the album being essentially leftovers. He could have announced on the outset he was doing a Metallica Load/Reload type of thing and a follow-up album would have probably been received better. Where the two albums were planned together and the tracks distributed accordingly.

I guess my biggest fear is it ends up as another Pipes of Peace situation.

If he goes the studio album route for his next album, I'd be fine with maybe 3 tracks at the most being used but I don't think a new album built around the remaining tracks is the right move. It diminishes his work and it diminishes Egypt Station.

Zeki likes this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m a fan, too. But you’re dwelling on what’s for dinner tomorrow while sitting in front of tonight’s meal.

foxylady and mark winstanley like this.
  11. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I'm in no panic for a new live, classical or Fireman album, but I have a feeling that's probably more in line with what we can expect next.

I may be in the minority here, but I personally think Paul should release a Christmas album. If Eric Clapton and the Monkees are just getting around to it now (other respected legendary artists like Bob Dylan and Rod Stewart also released Christmas albums late in their careers), I think McCartney would do a pretty good job tackling the genre.

I think the more popular consensus among McCartney fans (rather than the general public) would be for Macca to release a box set of rarities, out-takes, etc., which I am also all for.

12. Ringo Hendrix

Steve Hoffman forums would implode. :D

Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but to each his own.

Zeki and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  13. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I'm sure he has, he's bound to. However there will also be some genuine guff. I was just saying that an album of previously rejected tunes on paper at least is a bad idea. He has been on a good run which culminated in his most recent no.1 album so I wouldn't want him to interrupt that. These vault songs will always come out further down the line, you know when. Let's have fresh ones until that point.

Due to his age, the fact he has only just released an album and is plodding the boards touring it, I'd say that an Egypt Station Collector's Edition and maybe a live album is all we have to look forward to for the forseeable future......but who knows.

14. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

I'm a guy. I already literally do this.

15. Ringo Hendrix

Well maybe we're reaaallly hungry.:D

omikron and Paulwalrus like this.
  16. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

God, I love that idea, except he missed 1990, 2000 and 2010. By 2020 he should really be up to McCartney VI!

theMess, omikron, Sean and 2 others like this.
  17. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Liverpool Station and finally Station Station. (Not to be confused with Station to Station. :p)

18. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Seriously though, what we're getting next from Paul is Archive editions of Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway.
    [​IMG]

19. bward

bward Senior Member

In last year's (or was it the year before) Rolling Stone cover story, Paul talked about being obsessed with Zodiac signs.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he explored that for new music.

Nor would I be surprised to learn the next album is mostly written. I don't think he spent the last five years working solely on these Egypt Station songs.

20. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Actually, it will be called "Hindsight," but you got the year right.

21. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

He missed on a good oportunity there, didn't here?. He should have released one every decade. It'd be known as a trademark of his by now. It'd be so cool. Plus he recently named both McCartney albums among his favourites.

BTW, count me definitely IN about him releasing a quick follow up album, with the songs left from these sessions plus a few more.
    People talk about Pipies of Peace, but wasn't the great Memory Almost Full a similar situation?. Plus Pipes is a good album. Would you rather not have it?.

theMess, Usagi75, JLGB and 2 others like this.
  22. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Besides he mentioned writing a song very recently in the Casual Conversation Q & A, something tells me we won't be waiting 5 years for the next one... maybe only 4!!!

Paulwalrus, Ringo Hendrix and Zeki like this.
  23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I don't think of those tracks as leftovers as I'll take him at his word: that they just didn't flow well.

I like your Load/Reload idea...but too late, of course. And if he did that, he could have shortened ES and maybe come up with a nice flow for a quick sequel. But, again, too late.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  24. 1. Continue the Archive Releases

2. Keep writing and recording new stuff for a new album to be released - AFTER-

3.” Garage Sale - Total Vault Treasure Chest’ release, 12 discs of all unreleased material from his solo and Wings Years. ‘. 3 Disc “Highlights ‘ edition available.

Please get these leftovers, rumored, half finished, mythical, garbage and real genius tracks out ; once and for all, so the decks are clear for another new, recently recorded project like Egypt Station - AFTER - vaults are cleaned out.

Eska68, JLGB and Zeki like this.
  25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I don't think those songs were rejected, they just weren't for the concept of this album, As I posted earlier, if they are like Get Started and Nothing For Free, they would be very appealing.

Zeki and JLGB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.