What is Paul McCartney releasing next? Life after Egypt Station

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

To me there are quite few rejected songs that were better than the ones that made it. McCartney has historically left out gems off of albums. I'm sure someone has good list.

2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I would love to get unreleased tracks out there.

Hopefully High In The Clouds soundtrack makes an appearance soon

theMess and Who Cares like this.
  3. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

The guy's on a roll, so who knows? Would love some more . . .

4. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I heard that he's releasing a children's book titled "Hey Grandude".

5. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I can't imagine a Mccartney 50th anniversary boxset in 2020, don't think anything else really exists...call me crazy but I wouldn't mind Twin Freaks 2, really enjoyed the first one.

6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

Do we know anything about the status of the film? If production hasn't started yet I'd think we would realistically be looking at 2 years or so before release.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  7. omikron

I felt like "Caesar Rock" would have fit perfectly on Electric Arguments. I could easily go for more of that type of stuff.

theMess, Zeki and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I also have a feeling the film isn't ready yet, and Paul is already promoting a different childrens book coming out next September (!),

9. omikron

The could be and probably are great songs but you know the press would draw those analogies about it being another Pipes of Peace. How could Paul avoid this album getting labelled in such a way. That's why I used the word stigma. How do you get people to see it as a proper standalone album? Unless it's BETTER than Egypt Station, it's just going to become known as the lesser followup album.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

His marketing folks did a good job, they can probably figure something out.

Of course I have no idea what the songs sound like. Maybe they're a hodge podge of styles, in which case what I'm advocating (blindly) doesn't make any sense. But if there's five or six that could work into a flow? Then pick four others already secretly stashed away, that fit, or (and I say this as if it is effortless!) write four more new songs. Marketing pitch: I was so overwhelmed and pleased by reaction to ES that it inspired me to write a few more songs, building on the momentum. The fans seemed to like it...so here's more!

11. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

It seems that most follow-ups to McCartney's best solo albums have been viewed as disappointing compared to their predecessors.

12. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Another live album? I don't think so.

We have/will have:

On Paul McCartney's Youtube Channel: Live From NYC

Under The Staircase is the most recent Paul's Live Album.

Live At The Cavern Club 2018 will premiere at the 2019 Cannes film festival (Between May 14 and May 25) and a possible (unconfirmed) Blu-Ray/DVD release.

There is a rumor about a Wings Live Project.

Freshen Up Tour will continue in 2019 (US Concerts)

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Considering that a 2013 article in Variety said that the film would be out in 2015 (!!!), it is anyone's guess where it stands right now:

Paul McCartney’s ‘High In The Clouds’ Heading for Big Screen

But as I mentioned, I presume most of the soundtrack songs were set aside and recorded back then. That would have been the "easy" part of the project.

theMess and Zeki like this.
  14. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

He released three albums from ‘05 to ‘08, so it’s not totally out of question.

theMess, Paulwalrus, RickH and 3 others like this.
  15. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

16. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Release the extra songs as planned, as a deluxe ES asap. Then a Kisses follow up album and/or a Fireman album. Then record a new pop album. Then decide where to go.

omikron, Who Cares and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  17. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

This is kind of a pointless post but your post got me thinking (of linking? :D)
    Band On The Run, Venus And Maes
    Tug of War, Pipes Of Peace
    Flowers In The Dirt, Off The Ground

I don't know if I would consider Memory Almost Full a follow up to Chaos. . He made a respected album and went in to finish off what wasn't completed prior albeit with a different producer. . A relatively quick 'follow up'. Two years separation is actually pretty quick for then. If you do consider it something of a follow-up it wasn't reviewed poorly although it's nowhere near as respected. It was well reviewed and so that doesn't count.

Although I like others better, personal preference aside, it seems Paul's most acclaimed albums- either upon release or in retrospect - are Ram, Band On The Run, Tug Of War, Flowers In The Dirt, Flaming Pie, Chaos and Creation In The Backyard.

Egypt Station and the rest of the 97-present albums not listed seem to be rated about the same.

Note, I guess many albums have to 'feel' like follow up. Part of that may be being there at the time of the release and the environment at the times and manner of release.

If that's so, the only McCartney album I have gotten to anticipate is Egypt Station and with that five year gap it certainly doesn't feel like a follow-up to New!:D

omikron, Who Cares and Zeki like this.
  18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

About High In The Clouds (High in the Clouds - IMDb ):

Last Update: April 20, 2017

Paul McCartney’s Animated Film Finds Its Writer

Jan 9, 2018.

"McCartney wrote eight or nine original songs for the film. Deadline reported that one of the songs featured in High in the Clouds is a collaboration with Lady Gaga."

"One of the musicians on the project is reportedly Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready.

High in the Clouds will be directed by Cody Cameron (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2). The screenplay was written by Josh Klausner (Date Night).

The is no release date for the film or the soundtrack."

19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

He can do what he want, my friend; it's Paul McCartney!
    He may release an album under another name, he could do a live-album again, he might build from other tracks still lying around and release a completely new McCartney-album.
    Or; Egypt Station may be his last ever studio album!

Whatever it is; long may he live, whatever he does.
    And may he make sure that Archives-release of London Town/Back to the Egg is on the schedule for next year!

20. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

I would still love to hear the 2009 album with Geoff Emerick (RIP)
    Not to sound dark and morbid or selfish/uncaring, but maybe Geoff's passing could bring a reminder to that.

I say this NOT in an "Ooh! Maybe now that he's dead, the project could be remembered and released! Yes!" way but rather in a "the event could possibly remind Paul of this unfinished album" - which it could. Just mentioning the possibility that the cause could have that effect.

Kind of like how George Martin's tribute is Love Me Do, associated with a memory of George, a song from those sessions with Geoff could come out as a tribute of sorts. Maybe playing "(I Want To) Come Home" live more? NONO?

I consider the odds extremely low.

21. Arnold Grove

Judging from Paul's past ventures into the film world:
    Thank goodness ... ;)

foxylady and Who Cares like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Going for the intellectual market, I guess. ;)

23. omikron

Well, we all want the songs. We know that much! It's just how will they be presented to us. If he can do what you are saying here, then that would be a very nice release and a continuation of his very strong outings over the last 15 years or so.

Zeki likes this.
  24. omikron

I like this plan.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  25. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

It's easy: Emma Stone on the Cover and Matching teeth as an album title :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.