What is Paul McCartney releasing next? Life after Egypt Station

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

If Jim Keltner is unavailable, why not! :D

Ringo Hendrix and planckera like this.
  2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

Here's what I'm predicting as far as releases are concerned. The Egypt Station Super Deluxe contents are purely speculation on my part:

REMAINDER OF 2017:
    a. White Album release

b. Wild Life and RRS Archive releases

c. Japan and Europe Tour

JAN-APR 2018:
    a. Tour break: chance to work on some projects!

b. Wild Life and RRS Archive if they didn’t come out in 2017

c. Egypt Station Super Deluxe Edition: guessing this will come out very close to when the US Tour starts
    -Vintage packing case or Archive box style measurements
    -Includes Cavern and/or Abbey Road show but it would be odd to contain both
    -Making of documentary with studio footage
    -Photo gallery (including those great b&w teaser shots)
    -Promotional campaign featurette (since it was a stellar, secretive campaign)
    -Book containing interviews with Paul and Kurstin and studio photos
    -Perhaps some select live audio tracks from Canada, Japan, Europe
    -Up to 10 studio tracks from Egypt Station sessions
    -Stickers and train/bus tickets

d. Possible standalone release of either the Cavern or Abbey Road show. He's done this before with Wings Over Europe film in the WOA Archive and Rockshow as a standalone release. Since a Cavern standalone release has been done before, one would think Abby Road would get the solo release but Cavern seems to be more suitable for standalone release. The other will be in the Egypt Station Deluxe box. We'll see what happens.

MAY-JUN(?) 2018:

US Tour: Will he plug RSS and Wild Life? He barely has acknowledged any of the prior Archives on tour but it would be great to hear a couple of these songs live. Ringo will join him on stage somewhere one final time.

THE FUTURE:

a. A 2017/2018 live album out late 2018 or 2019: if both concert films come out from the Egypt Station promos, it might seem like overkill to release a new live album. I could still see this happening though simply because of the relative novelty of the horn section. I would suggest he do a 1 disc release like with Paul Is Live adding only tracks that have not seen a live release yet (Wild Life and RSS tracks!?) and horn tracks.

b. London Town and BTTE Archives: If RSS and Wild Life come out in 2017, expect these in late 2018 or 2019.

c. Live Wings box set: Expect this in 2018 or 2019 and it probably won't fall in the same year as the London Town and BTTE Archives.

d. High In The Clouds movie and soundtrack? Production has not started on the film so I’m guessing 2+ years out.

e. Geoff Emerick project? unknown

f. New music: does he do a followup studio album a Fireman album or an orchestral piece for his next new release? Who knows?

3. omikron

Paul is playing "I Don't Know" at soundchecks. I sure hope that appears in something coming up like the deluxe ES box.

4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Paul basically has no live appearances between now and May 2019. That's 6-7 months off. So he has the time to make another record between now and then. There are also apparently at least a handful of finished tracks left over from Egypt Station.

I'm guessing Paul doesn't dish out all those unreleased Kurstin tracks on a deluxe ES. Maybe 1 or 2. But I think he may save some for his next record. That would be smart anyway. A deluxe ES can mostly utilize remixes/outtakes/demos of the original tracklist for its bonus audio, IMHO.

Paulwalrus, Elliottmarx and omikron like this.
  5. omikron

It would be a great time to work on some projects. I think it would be smart to do a quick follow up of some sort to ride the coat tails.

If he can somehow avoid the inevitable (and possible) "not as good as Egypt Station" press then there is a lot of energy there he's riding on right now still.

Zeki, Elliottmarx and beatleroadie like this.
  6. beatleroadie

Agreed. #1 is a helluva drug. Paul may want another shot at the top of the charts in 2019.

omikron likes this.
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

McCartney III

8. beatleroadie

If he does it, I hope it's weird. As weird compared to II as II was to I.

Usagi75, CDC, 905 and 2 others like this.
  9. omikron

McCartney III + Youth = The Next Fireman Album.

It will be interesting to see which way he wants to go.

linclink likes this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that, on the basis of 'Caesar Rock' alone, which he created in the studio without Kurstin, he should go for a 'McCartney 3' release in 2020, which would be a perfect reference to his first solo decade. Maybe include some of the tracks like 'Mombassa' that he wrote on Cubase. If it followed the other two, and was very experimental, pure 'McCartney Goes Too Far' stuff, then I would love it.

11. omikron

I like how you bring up 2020 since McCartney was 1970 and McCartney II was 1980. Keeping with the round decade can have some historical significance.

Given that McCartney was grass roots and McCartney II was electronic, what theme do you suppose McCartney III would be?

I could see him maybe continuing the Caesar Rock-styled work that we've been guessing at or he could go in an entirely new direction. Whatever it is, I sure do hope it's weird like @beatleroadie said.

12. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Songs with Bob Dylan

Elliottmarx likes this.
  13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Well he was experimenting with dance tracks on Cubase just for fun fairly recently, which reminds me of how 'McCartney 2' was recorded for fun in order to 'check out his machine', so maybe it would go in that direction? It sounded like they were fairly long, so maybe more long form tracks like at the end of 'Electric Arguments'.
    That record probably points ahead to what it would sound like to some degree, a mixture of his traditional rocking sound with longer experimental electronic elements, almost a merging of the previous two eponymous albums.
    He improvised tracks like 'Nothing For Free', 'Road' and 'Caesar Rock' in the studio recent years, so it would most likely be along those lines, eclectic and diverse.

I personally am very interested in him taking what he learned from his classical composing (which he also used Cubase for I believe), with him then applying it to medleys like on 'Abbey Road', and longer tracks like 'Despite Repeated Warnings' and 'Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link'.
    The song 'Appreciate' shows how he can sound modern, psychedelic and almost 'electronic dance' all at the same time; the other day when I played it for my Mother and Sister, they loved it and had no idea who it was. The solo at the end was tantalising, and 'C-Link' shows what he can do when he stretches out (the solo on 'Appreciate' should also have been that long IMO).

So all together, almost something like an experimental prog-rock influenced album, with modern electronic dance touches, and some of his classic rock elements, from his hard rockers to his psychedelic tracks, stretching out into longer songs and/or with shorter pieces linked together and returned to, influenced by his orchestral works, all tied together with his amazing melodies and fantastic bass playing. Based on his fine form since 'Flaming Pie', ranging from dance remixes to ballet scores via experimental rock with Youth and covers of standards and rock and roll songs, I have no doubt that he could pull it off, even as a one man band effort.

Who Cares, Eska68, Paulwalrus and 3 others like this.
  14. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Noooo! We must keep our fingers crossed the Luxury box will be mainly unreleased songs from the sessions. Speaking of the Luxury Box, I'm predicting a March-April release for it. That'll give everyone enough time to settle down from all of the Deluxe Boxes coming out and also for Wild Life / Red Rose Speedway to settle down too.

mynameistaken likes this.
  15. omikron

I've been slowly working through the Paul catalog again and going out of order this time. I listened to McCartney and McCartney II together which I haven't done since the archive releases came out.

Of all the times I've listened to McCartney II, it finally dawned on me that "On The Way" and "One Of These Days" don't have any electronic treatment to them other than some vocal stuff. It occurred to me how similar these tracks were to some on McCartney. From a sound and instrumentation perspective, "On The Way" is a lot like "Oo You" or the second half of "Momma Miss America". "One Of These Days" is a lot like "Junk".

So here we have to very different albums spread 10 years apart with some common threads. Just the simple fact of Paul doing all of the music itself lends to a common thread. We already know that was Paul's idea just by the naming of the albums alone.

The reason I bring this up though is if Paul is wanting to do McCartney III, I would like him to follow this same pattern and do the album entirely by himself. I would also expect (or like) to see some themes from McCartney II carry over to McCartney III, just like McCartney II did with McCartney. Or perhaps even use the sounds and styles from both albums plus something entirely new.

Whatever he would choose, I like the sparse nature of the sounds without the endless overdubs found in McCartney and McCartney II. Given the age, I could easily see the electronica theme of McCartney II playing a big part in McCartney III. Mix that with a raspy voice and that could be some interesting stuff.

Plus I think I've won the McCartney Award for the most number of times McCartney has been written in a post. 17 McCartneys if you include this McCartney. That's a lot of McCartneys. Oops, there's another McCa . . .

16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I sure hope not!

Don't like Ceasar Rock, and definitely don't like McCartney II! So a 3 doesn't excite at all, now another rock album would be more than exciting. The good on Egypt Station is very good!

17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I love McCartney I and II and I think III would be great too.

Paulwalrus, 905 and theMess like this.
  18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

"Caesar Rock" isn't a solo recording, it has the band on it.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

What I mean is that he conceived it in the studio and 'wrote/improvised' it alone, without the band.

paulmccartneyistheman and 905 like this.
  20. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

My prediction?

December 5, 2018: Grammy Awards nominations
    Egypt Station receives a nomination — as does the deluxe Imagine for reissue [since the cutoff is before Wings 1971-1973 and The Beatles: 50 can be nominated] ​

January, 2019: South American concerts in March announced

February 10:
    Grammy Awards
    …to help you remember that Egypt Station is up for awards tonight
    …Paul performs one of the songs on the broadcast but loses in each category​

late February: American concerts begin to be announced, "You Gave Me The Answer" e-mail is about Paul's time at the Grammys and excitement for the upcoming shows

March: South American concerts, more American concerts — and the announcement for next month's releases kicks off the speculation that the deluxe Egypt Station is around the corner

late April - early May: American shows

April 20: Record Store Day
    …vinyl single for "Fuh You" backed by either a deluxe-only track or a live version from the upcoming video
    … Paul also releases a limited edition 2-LP vinyl version of Wings Over Europe

May: Egypt Station deluxe reissue, 2 CD + 2 DVD/BR (depending on video format) in an Archive-style box
    …CD 1 is the original album
    …CD 2 has the two deluxe edition tracks joined by five or six more, and live cuts from the Grand Central show
    …Video 1 has the promo films, some live appearances, etc.
    …Video 2 is the Abbey Road Studios concert
    …book goes into detail about the sessions and includes bumper stickers, etc. that will be exclusive to the set​

late June: Paul McCartney at Abbey Road Studios announced coming separately in July

July: Paul McCartney at Abbey Road Studios comes with announcement that Abbey Road: 50 is indeed coming in September 26

August: interviews about Abbey Road, third unexpected single from Egypt Station arrives

September 7: Egypt Station deluxe released on the one-year anniversary as just the 2 CD/1 DVD set in normal packaging — and next Archives are announced!

September 26: Abbey Road: 50 comes with speculation about Let It Be coming next

October: European dates announced

November 23: Archives for the last Wings albums (London Town and Back To The Egg) along with the Wings 1977-1979 box set containing a unique live CD are released on the anniversary of the launch of Wings' second tour

early December: Grammy nominations include both Beatles: 50 and Wings 1971-1973

December 13: Paul plays Glasgow on the anniversary of that live recording, live album speculated

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I predict he goes out on top with a #1 album. No future studio albums from Paul. A few more tours, dats dat.

Tuesday, August 11, 2019 - Paul eats soup

Friday, November 17, 2020 - new trousers

Monday, April 3 2022 - has bedroom painted

22. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

364 days until the next archives come out!

Ringo Hendrix and omikron like this.
  23. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I would add somewhere:
    - Colored vinyl/Standard Black vinyl/CD releases of Wild Life (Dark green), Red Rose Speedway (Blue and red), Flowers In The Dirt (Orange marble) and Wings Over America (Blue, white and red)
    - August 8th 2019: Paul and Ringo will walk on the Abbey Road crossing, dressed as they were on the AB cover (Paul will even be barefooted, with a cigarett which he won't smoke and put in the bin on the other side!)

And also, it's the live at the Cavern Club that's speculated to be coming out next year on Blu-ray, and it might be present at the Cannes festival also!

omikron likes this.
  24. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Me I'd love an 'autumn of my years' 'late afternoon shadows' sort of album. Get Ringo in and get Ringo's mate Van Dyke Parks to arrange and produce. A chummy duet with Brian too.

I'm not kidding... :wave:

omikron likes this.
  25. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I, for one, won't be upset if ES was his very last studio album.
    Finishing a career with such a high creatively successful album, there would be nothing to be ashamed of.

Calico likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.