What is Paul McCartney's greatest achievement?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheGlitterandGold, Jun 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

He was able to write song melodies, really like few others could. You couldn't listen to a songs like Penny Lane, Maybe I'm Amazed, Live and Let Die etc. without feeling the magic of those melodies. They will never get old.

2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Why'd you do that? Now I have to go and listen to them.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Of course there are hundreds...but among those that come to mind every time post-Beatles, is the melody of Uncle Albert. Decades later, it falls among so many great tunes we take for granted...but when this song first came out, it absolutely stunned me. The melody had a surreal, dreamlike quality like I had never ever heard before. The magic of those opening first few words..."we're so sorry"...the melody and airy chord change...incredible.

4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Blackbird

joy stinson and Ms. Daisy like this.
  5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

You forgot:
    Playing drums on Old Brown Shoe.
    :hide:

joy stinson likes this.
  6. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

7. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

o_O

My post # 105 : "What i think of the quality of the music composed since he left the Beatles is secondary."

I wrote this because i didn't want to dive into a Beatles VS solo songs controversy precisely, period.
    If you really want to know what i think of his solo songs compared to "his" Beatles songs (or generally considered as such), because it seems to be very important to you,
    i would say that most his solo songs are not up to "his" Beatles songs.
    I would agree there are a few solo songs that are on this level still and i surely could find a few songs that are even better that some of "his" Beatles songs.
    Hope i've made myself clear.

8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

McCartney has Wings/solo songs that are as good and better than some Beatle songs period, not just "his" Beatle songs!

9. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This has to be one of McCartney's greatest achievements, which includes many great achievements!
    After the phenomenon of the Beatles, to pick yourself up and start from absolute scratch and form another band knowing expectations will be otherworldly. Then go through multiple member changes, continue to forge ahead, and eventually create one of the most successful bands of the entire 70s!
    Then take that band on one of the most historic world tours in the history of rock, breaking and setting world records along the way!
    Wings in 76 were absolutely awesome, and this is one of the very best concert openings ever...

Bilbo Swaggins likes this.
  10. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

No question, it’s surviving his many critics and trolls and mockers for 51 years as a solo artist and still not letting it discourage him or kill his musical flexibility …lol but true…

For the last many decades, I’ve preferred most of his solo to his Beatles output….

Seriously, he’s credited for his songwriting, bass playing and in his prime as a vocalist, his medleys and vocal overlays but I’d add for his arrangements, musical genre adaptations and blendings and at times, for his unpopular quirky experimentation and risk taking.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  11. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i love them both! :)

12. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

This has got to be the most outrageously pretentious Macca thread I've ever seen (and that's saying something). He's an amazing musician and songwriter. Can't we just leave it at that? Does he have to eradicate crime and world hunger, too?

ARK and jmxw like this.
  13. joy stinson

You could create a thread in any artist exactly like this…nothing wrong with citing individual opinions of their greatest achievements as all artists have several great achievements and..nothing at all pretentious about the thread. So what’s wrong with thread’s basic premise..cuz it’s about Paul or the idea of praising what you see as best accomplishments or what?

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  14. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

But the thing is, that's just it. You never see this kind of thread about any artist outside of The Beatles. You never see a thread about "Could Bret Michaels end world hunger?" You just don't. It's always The Beatles.

I get it. They're great. I love them. But some people want to treat them like the President and the Pope all wrapped up into one. And I just have to balk at that. YMMV.

ARK likes this.
  15. joy stinson

Lots of folks find his music very worthwhile, which is reason his multi varied style solo music especially gets lots of discussion and many threads in the forum….quality is in the ears and according to the tastes of folks…”matters of taste are not to be argued,” wrote the Roman poet Ovid.

16. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Another one people overlook is after supposedly dying in the late sixties the man was able to magically come back to life days later….miraculous to say the least…

joy stinson likes this.
  17. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

possibly because michael's is focused upon keeping his own blood sugar balanced..

as for me, i suffer from no illusion that any pop group. really ever wanted to "save the world".

had that ever been so? they'd never have signed with a major record label.

joy stinson likes this.
  18. joy stinson

You are throwing in a …complete red herring about world hunger,mtge Pope …It’s completely irrelevant and an exaggeration and no one ever claimed that about Beatles are McCartney. You should know Beatles are seen as real legends and icons as is McCartney to many folks and he’s had a 51 year solo prolific career and has kept many old fans and acquired many younger ones along the way. Other older icon artists have done this as well. If McCartney threads bother you, the simple solution is to…ignore and boycott them and participate in threads on artists that interest you…otherwise you’re thread crapping somewhat. This is a music forum mainly, he’s and Beatles are influential musicians.

19. joy stinson

….no way….way overestimating Lennon..was ..all of them..group and solo.

BDC likes this.
  20. joy stinson

I’m a huge fan of that song…wish I had extended version…have them single.

possumdude likes this.
  21. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Please don't get upset. I'm a huge McCartney fan. He's my favorite Beatle, and The Beatles are my favorite group. I've got just about everything he's ever released officially (and some not so official).

That said, when you open the thread by asking "What is his greatest accomplishment?" and you go on to offer the suggestions "his family life?" "his longevity?" that's a bit pretentious, IMHO.

No. His greatest accomplishment is not his family life, although that is admirable, especially is an industry where divorce is so commonplace. But other celebrity couples have had equally committed unions. Another Paul, Paul Newman, and Joanna Woodward come to mind.

And no, his longevity is not his greatest accomplishment. Dylan has lived equally long, has been equally productive, and is equally well regarded.

Paul McCartney's greatest accomplishment is that he was not only one fourth of - arguably - the greatest band in 20th Century pop music, but his solo career is spectacular, as well.

For any other artist, that would be more than enough. But with a member of The Beatles, we must try to elevate him even further. Not necessary. The man is a musical genius. Leave it at that.

22. joy stinson

Yep…the really…loveeeeeeee Macca bashing on this forum…

23. joy stinson

So what? I always like it…SJW or not? Song can go either way…

24. joy stinson

He never set out to do that…you’re thinking of his old friend who constantly in the seventies said he was a genius …Paul just made a great deal of music in all different styles…His classic was not his normal genre and you could make that argument about psychedelic Beatles, just absurdist music making folks think you’re more clever than you are…People don’t play..LOTS of stuff at parts it’s or clubs though did play some of his eighties stuff, renewed as dub mixes, like temp sec was, etc, at 21st cen clubs…People don’t put LOTS a of stuff on mix tapes…You cite odd spotty notions but views of genius is an accumulation of various things in a career, not a few spotty or contemporary things like you cite…

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  25. joy stinson

He did do..carnival of light..I read about that in my sixties music mags…no re writing there…

Zongadude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.