What is the best CD of the Joshua Tree?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Sanders, Dec 15, 2009.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I ordered a few more pre-remaster copies, both to get a handle on what mastering is on what pressings, and to see how some of the other masterings compare. At some point I can create some samples, but I'd like to wait until I have more variations.

dartira and BeatlesBop like this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

when I first heard it on CD, I thought something was off and blamed the CD player because it sounded worse and muddier than my Ricordi cassette...then I had the chance to purchase two SS vinyl copies and despite my vintage Pioneer TT and shure cart (but with a new Jico stylus) the presentation became (to me) at least acceptable and this is the only way I can somewhat appreciate The Joshua Tree, soundwise. Since it seems all the Cd editions mirror- more or less- the same dull sound, I'm grateful to the unknown guys who tweaked the Ricordi cassette and LP and made them sound somewhat clearer and less boomy.

:nyah: On CD, I'm afraid that's the only way to listen to it

[​IMG]

c-eling and JeffMo like this.
  3. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Here is a sample (wav) of the string slide intro to Running to Stand Still (Mastered by Nimbus disc) if of any use.

40 second duration approximately 7mb – available for 14 days;
    http://dropcanvas.com/nzdwf

c-eling and lukpac like this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Identical to what I'm calling the original mastering (pink), except exactly 0.4dB lower in level.

It would appear the dark blue version is just level shifted down from the pink version (-0.4dB/95.5%), although it's hard to say with 100% certainty at this point which is the "source".

Mbe likes this.
  5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:laugh: D'oh. Found in a box in the basement, an American Columbia House copy I totally forgot about..."Made in USA Digital Audio Disc Corp" embossed in the plastic hub. Matrix reads DIDX 1706 11A4
    Maybe I do have too many CDs, can't remember why and when I purchased it.

Yeah it's a mess indeed.

Don't know if true story or not, but I read that some weeks after the original release, U2 demanded an upgrade because the then in print CD didn't sound right, so I wanted to buy one or two more early copies but despite all the pre-remaster variations, according to discogs, only a few barcodes were used, so the usual "let's look for the UPC on Amazon" trick won't work, eg 04228422982 1 is used for dozens of versions released all over the world, from some early pressings to the last pre-remaster ones (including those with different artwork in the 90s). It's a crapshoot.

Just a guess: since they seem rarer, the "blue mastering" UK and "green mastering" MPO France might be the discontinued early mastering the band didn't like.

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Probably a good bet Marcel on those early ones. Who knows, I'm thinking of giving up on this title as I have enough variants as it is.
    So I guess my advice would be, grab one that's the cheapest and call it good :laugh:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Yep, it seems to be one of those albums for which there is no great mastering.

c-eling likes this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ha ha, correct...and the Columbia House has the same mastering as the JPN P35D...and of course a zillion several cheap CDs...:D

c-eling likes this.
  9. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

FWIW, I think the MFSL cd sounds the best to my ears.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Has anyone ever verified this?

One would think the SRC pressing without RE-1 (pink mastering) was the original version in the US.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Is that the Diament mastering?

12. George P

George P Notable Member

If it helps, I can PM you my address and you can send me your overflow. :winkgrin:

c-eling and PH416156 like this.
  13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Don't know, since the "pink" mastering looks to be the one more commonly available, the "rejected" mastering should be a different one.

I cannot remember Mr. Diament ever mentioning "The Joshua Tree", there are a couple previous U2 CDs he remembered working on, though.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Oh, OK. I certainly could be suffering faulty memory.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But we already know that the light blue mastering came after the pink one. It was remastered *again*? And that would assume that SRC hadn't made a pressing at the time of release. Otherwise, the pink version would be RE-1 (and the light blue version RE-2).

Does anyone know where this back cover came from?

[​IMG]

U2 - The Joshua Tree

That's not the back of the LP, and I've never seen a CD with that artwork. The UPC is of the original US CD.

c-eling likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Never mind. I now see in the Discogs history that it's the front and back of the long box, together in one image.

ARK and BeatlesBop like this.
  17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  18. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

My very first CD, bought in Ireland around July 1987 (I had already bought the vinyl album around the first week of release):
    Discogs: U2 - The Joshua Tree
    Island CID U2 6, Barcode (Text): 5 014474 300066
    Matrix / Runout (Inner Ring): CID U2 6 DISCTEC 01
    EAC: 91.3 / 94.5 / 98.1 / 79.6 / 80.5 / 77.7 / 80.9 / 75.4 / 89.7 / 79.8 / 55.6

I guess that's the same as P35D-20034

c-eling likes this.
  19. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I believe this may have also lead to someone being in charge of quality assurance from their next release onwards. I believe it was Cheryl Engels (sp?). It was her job to at least ensure that all editions all over the world used the same mastering. Now, this being SH.TV I'm sure some may find some different masterings (or at least different sounding editions) for the following albums, but it's likely not such a mess as this release.

PH416156 likes this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Also:

It's not the blue version, as that's identical to the pink version other than a 0.4dB level shift. I haven't heard the green version, but it seems unlikely that such a variation would thus far have only shown up in France.

PH416156 likes this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

PH416156 likes this.
  22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ehm... clearly I have way too many CDs :hide:

German Sonopress: cat.# 258 219 CID U2 6; barcode 4007192582198: another "pink" mastering: 91.3/94.5/98.1/79.6/80.5/77.7/80.9/75.4/89.7/79.8/55.6
    Matrix reads SONOPRESS 258 219 A

The discogs link to this specific version: U2 - The Joshua Tree

lukpac likes this.
  23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

...and the "Bossanova" longbox too, I see :thumbsup:

c-eling likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

IIRC, only Rattle and hum has 2 slightly different masterings; possibly the same digital master just level- shifted. Then, they're all the same worldwide

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

More copies:

Catalog: I2 42298
    Matrix: ARC-2143 5 I2 42298-2 SRC+01 XM4 S4
    Peaks: 97.0/94.9/99.9/80.3/80.3/86.0/89.6/76.5/99.8/86.2/56.6
    Indexing: Correct
    Identical to 90581-2 SRC-05 except offset.
    U2 - The Joshua Tree

Catalog: CID U2 6
    Matrix: CID U2-6 DISCTEC 03
    Identical to 90581-2 SRC-05 except offset.
    U2 - The Joshua Tree

Catalog: 258 219/CID U26
    Matrix: SONOPRESS 258 219 A
    Identical to 90581-2 SRC-05 except offset and:
    - 6,275 different samples between One Tree Hill and Exit
    - 7,383 fewer samples between Exit and Mothers of the Disappeared
    U2 - The Joshua Tree

Odd about the Sonopress copy. The changes certainly seem to be deliberate, rather than some sort of random error, as they directly relate to the transitions before and after Exit.

PH416156 and c-eling like this.