What is the best CD of the Joshua Tree?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Sanders, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Interesting. I also assumed everything was the same.

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Randy

Can u point to a section of a track on the MFSL, preferably the beginning of a track, that you feel best showcases its' superiority over the P35D? We are comparing 2 masterings, so it shouldn't be a problem to give an explicit example for us to A/B. Since I have the finest system on the forum, I'll be able to easily render a final, indisputable judgment for all of us (joking people, joking!!).

I find that that the MFSL becomes harsh as I increase the volume. It is less naturally musical and seems to have a bit more color around the vocals and instruments.

For those interested, the P35D can be picked up for as low as $40 on eBay, but without the OBI. The OBI version, which likely sounds better, demands a $20 premium. The MFSL, which some of us find sonically inferior, runs well over $100. I don't think anyone really pays this much because there are several at Amazon Marketplace & eBay collecting dust. Gee, maybe I should sell mine!?

3. Downsampled

^^^ That's a funny post. I must admit that I am curious about the MFSL, because I don't think the P35D or anything else sounds that great. (I blame the recording, not the mastering.) OTOH, I've come to regard the dull sound of this album as a distinct part of its character, so I wouldn't say it sounds "bad". Is it an Eno thing?

My Japan disc doesn't have an obi. That must be the problem. :laugh:

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

^^^thanks, but I'm sure someone will find a way to be offended!

Some CDs begin to sound better and better as the sound system is improved. My system has fairly good resolution now and I enjoy Joshua Tree more than I did in the past. My assumption is that this trend will continue with each additional tweak. I also will assume, at this point, that the superiority of the P35D will become more and more easy to appreciate.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I bought the LP when it was released, and never thought it was dull. It's thick and layered, with a strong bottom end, and maybe doesn't have instrumentation that has a ton of sparkle in the high treble - but it's not a poor recording.

Man at C&A and dee like this.
  6. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Just thought I'd give the thread a bump as it was beginning to get interesting.

FLAC's are still available for download.

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

...from here ->

U2 The Joshua Tree P35D Japan Polystar

FLACs
    Where The Streets Have No Name
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking Fo
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    In God's Country

http://files.me.com/abilzarian/o9abfl

8. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I recently picked up the Japan Island P35D-20034 and did a track-by-track compare to the MFSL UDCD 650 UDII. Personally I liked the MFSL. As others have stated in this thread both have distinct presentations on CD and both sound very nice. So I believe it comes down to a matter of listening preference. Why I prefer the MFSL > I like the detailed presentation, notes sustain nicely, it sounds aggressive when it should, it has broad dynamic range, vocal inflections seemed more distinguishable, to me the overall sound texture makes for a more engulfing listening experience.

Vincent3 likes this.
  9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

^^^pls fill out your profile so that we know what gear you are using....

...people tend to forget that we all don't have the same exact system and those with higher resolution systems are able to hear things that others will have no chance to appreciate.....

10. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

The original UK CD "CID U2 6" shares the same mastering as the P35D CD. I like it very much.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

So does my 7 90581-2 (USA). But ours can't sound as good as the P35D because there's no 'Jasrac' on the label side. :wave:

12. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

What surprises me is that the MOFI is louder that the original CD

13. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I'm going to have to agree with you here, I'm not feeling the remaster as that much of an improvement over the original CD. The bass is not as dynamic on the remaster. Something just sounds wrong to me, a little to sterile and processed. The vox is not as upfront as the original but there is some sibilance on the original that I believe was taken care of on the remaster. Darn I know the remaster has the cool b-sides CD but I feel like I kinda wasted my money. I should have tracked down the 1st Japanese pressing.....or better yet maybe I have a first American pressing? It reads 3 90581-2 RE-1 SRC+16 on the CD....is this the same of the Japanese one?

Thanks in advance...
    Theron

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I recently put this to Darcy, because my son wanted exactly that...the best possible recording of...what I bought, and what was shipped is the P35D-20034. Sounds like U2 is in my apartment. Which I really don't care for, since I value my privacy.

:biglaugh:

Pathfinderpat and George P like this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I have a "CID U2 6", but with a different mastering.

93.2 %
    95.8 %
    100.0 %
    78.2 %
    80.5 %
    78.4 %
    81.0 %
    75.1 %
    89.6 %
    79.5 %
    55.9 %

Matrix reads : 842 298 2 00B Made in France by Cinram optical Discs

16. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I own both the MFSL and original U.S. CD versions.

17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Just compared a couple tracks of the original U.S. to the remaster and my reaction was pretty similar to the bolded portions above (though I didn't feel as if the remaster was "wrong" or sterile or processed). The remaster is a little louder, but if the volume is leveled, it's not all that different. Maybe a little more treble, a little less voice, relatively speaking.

I hardly ever listen to the first half of this record anymore (can we call it the "A side"?), but it's definitely a favorite, and I'm wondering if I should buck up for an OOP or import edition.

18. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I am trying to track down the other early version of this. And I came across something I didn't know about.

This one:

Not this one:
    Anyway ...

There was a "20th Anniversary" edition released in 2007. Mine still has the top sticker on it that says "20th Anniversary" and the date on the back is indeed 2007.

Same mastering as the main album in the DE set.

ARK likes this.
  19. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Ok, that last post was a "duh" post. I just wasn't aware that there was a single CD release of all the 20th Anniv editions. I only knew about the 2CD and 2CD + DVD versions ...

ARK likes this.
  20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Found a 'strange' one yesterday, at $2.50 for a mint copy I picked it up;
    The Matrix contains SRC-01 which indicates a Specialty pressing [Barry's Diaments preferred pressing plant] but has Made In USA by DADC in the plastic hub and Made In USA By DADC as well printed on the bottom of the disc.

90581-2 (USA)
    Matrix: 3 90581-2 RE-1 SRC-01
    Catalog on Disc = 90581-2 DIDM 1706

EAC peaks match the "lesser" version:
    97.0 / 94.9 / 99.9 / 80.3 / 80.3 / 86.0 / 89.6 / 76.5 / 99.8 / 86.2 / 56.6

21. Raddek

Raddek New Member

Since no one has posted about the West German release, I'll throw in my information about it. It's also a full-mirrored disc.

7 90581-2
    Matrix: 7567 90581-2 2897 160 01* Made in W. Germany by PDO
    Mfd. for RCA Direct Marketing 90581-2 15350 1D

97.0 / 94.9 / 99.9 / 80.3 / 80.3 / 86.0 / 89.6 / 76.5 / 99.8 / 86.2 / 56.6

Seems to be the same as the above USA master

danielbravo likes this.
  22. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I am pretty sure Barry said at one time that the specialty plant CDs are the made by "WEA Manufacturing" discs. He also said, "SRC was in Olyphant, PA. Owned by Warner." I dunno.

23. Downsampled

Hmmm... Interesting that it has "SRC-01" but also "RE-1".

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Specialty/SRC didn't become WEA Manufacturing until later. Same thing though.

Not interesting at all. First glass master of the RE-1 version.

25. Downsampled

I see your point.