What is the best CD of the Joshua Tree?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Sanders, Dec 15, 2009.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:) No need to apologize and thanks a ton for that. I'll update & post the chart soon. I was thinking we could do something similar for "Rattle and Hum". I have just the first Japanese release and a French Cinram reissue

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What looks loud?

As far as the chart goes, we know that the PolyGram version (and the WEA versions pressed by PDO) was taken from the same source as the original and tweaked. Do we know if the same is the case for any of the others (besides the MFSL), or are those all unique transfers?

4. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Thanks, Marcel.
    I would be interested in 'Rattle And Hum' because i've always thought there were NO variances in the cd mastering of the album!?
    The Japanese and Australian pressings that I have are the same!!

5. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

The MFSL one does.
    Just by looking at the graphs I would go for the Japan for Australia one. One song at 100%, the rest below that. But as said, this is by looking at the graphs. Listening might make me come to an entirely different conclusion.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Peak levels don't tell you much of anything. There could be one or two peaks at 100%, or most of the song could peak at 100%. The MFSL could be the most compressed, or it could be the most dynamic. No way of knowing by looking at peak levels.

john lennonist, Zomvid and Stephen J like this.
  7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Hi! Sorry for the late reply; been away for a while and returned on Sunday. Will look for an existing "Rattle and Hum" thread and post my EAC peak levels:)

8. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

I have an Island 258219 / CID U26 issue of 'Joshua Tree' pressed by Sonopress (Germany).
    Peak Levels are
    I.e. peak levels are matching those of the P35D-20034

danielbravo likes this.
  9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Thanks!

10. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

The remaster sounds very close to the mfsl by the way. I have a feeling that U2 decided to keep that sound to save time and effort remastering the album. The War Remaster for example sounds totally different from the mfsl.

11. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Wondering more and more *what* was the rejected version... any plotting of the EAC peaks possible?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Rejected version?

Also, I just noticed that the SRC pressings aren't in the chart.

13. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

After the very first CD pressing of TJT the U2 asked for a different mastering, feeling that the current release wasn't good.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Has this actually been verified? There is a secret remaster (SRC RE-01, also pressings at PDO), but I question how early that was done, as this thread suggests what appears to be the original version is fairly common. And my recollection is the second version is that different anyway; it certainly uses the same A/D transfer as the original, and changes seemed minor.

15. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Just looking at the numbers on the table above it is clear to me that - excluding the MFSL that is a later release - there are several different mastering involved.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

And yet in the US it would appear there were only ever 2 prior to the remaster. One would assume that if the band requested a remaster it would have shown up in the US.

Can folks with the unique non-US CDs provide rips? I wouldn't mind comparing them to see if they are totally different masterings, or simply tweaked versions of the original.

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I have the French Cinram "Yellow column" disc. If you're interested, just drop me a PM and I can send you files via email

lukpac likes this.
  18. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Have the MPO. PM.

19. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

danielbravo likes this.
  20. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

I have this one:

Island: I2 42298
    Distributed by Atco Records
    Matrix: ARC-2143 5 I2 42292-2 SRC+01
    Made in USA by WEA Manufacturing Inc.
    Manufactured by Columbia House under license

Track Peak
    01 91.3
    02 94.5
    03 98.1
    04 79.6
    05 80.5
    06 77.7
    07 80.9
    08 75.4
    09 89.7
    10 79.8
    11 55.6

21. slobass

slobass New Member

Interesting thread. I picked up the MFSL disc sometime in the early 90's for collectability and for the fixed track index. It had been my goto disc for home stereo listening and to replace the cassette for car playback (anyone else remember making dubs of CDs onto tape for the car?).

I picked up the Japanese 20th Anniversary set for the bonus material, but haven't compared it to the MFSL.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Note the indexing of One Tree Hill was fine on the original CD, and only became a problem when PolyGram bought Island.

ARK likes this.
  23. Golden Richards

I came across a US 7 90581-2 with mastering as indicated by the table. This one was manufactured by WEA, not PDO. It has the wonky One Tree Hill/Exit track split.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You're sure? I've got SRC and PDO pressings from Atco distribution (pink and light blue respectively) and both have the correct indexing.

25. Golden Richards

Positive, looking here at foobar as I type:

09 One Tree Hill 4:43
    10 Exit 4:53