What is the best CD of the Joshua Tree?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Sanders, Dec 15, 2009.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Very strange. Is it the pink mastering or the blue mastering?

2. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Matrix 3 90581-2 RE-1 SRC-01

A pic of the disc:

[​IMG]

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thanks. But which mastering does it correspond to?

4. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Blue 97.0, 94.9, 99.9.........

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thanks. That's the later mastering. There must have been a revised layout created when Island was still under Atco distribution, which then got carried over when PolyGram purchased them.

ARK likes this.
  6. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

boiledbeans likes this.
  7. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Yep that is the one.

8. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

MFSL.

saturdayboy likes this.
  9. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

Folks - what mastering is this one: CID U2 6 (Austria, Koch) 1987. Comparable to the Japanese P35D-20034?

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

If you have access to a PC platform run the EAC peaks
    [​IMG]

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That chart reminds me of the $30 I flushed down the toilet when I bought the Japan P35D while I already owned the UK CID U2 6. ;) Nice Obi though.

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Not easy to be a man and admit oneself was conned, believe me I know.

13. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

To be honest, not sure how to run/check for the peaks, but I have a couple of questions: What is the difference between the second to the last UK CID U2 6 (PDO?) and the first one listed (fifth box)? And of course, if anyone knows - is mine (Koch - Austria) the same as the first one listed and therefore the Japanese P35D or the second one, or neither ...

Also, what is the significance of the MFSL numbers?

Thanks!

14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

1) download EAC http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac-0.99pb5.exe and install - for newest version skip step#3 listed below
    2) start/run EAC.
    3) depress 'ctrl' and the 'a' key at same time - this selects all tracks.
    4) depress the 'F8' key [at top of keyboard] - this does not rip to drive, but will yield log with the results.
    5) when it's done click ok and then save the log when prompted to location of your choice. Don't post the whole log, the numbers next to "Peak level" copy them here example id a format like 69.7/76.9/91.2 or

stinsojd likes this.
  15. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

thanks ricks. right now, i'm just doing it seat of the pants, trying to figure out which version sounds best to my ears (always the only real test) between the austrian and the mfsl versions. although i don't have the MFSL War yet (I know, it's been slammed by many here), I'm eager to compare the one I have vs. that as well. Mine is CICID 9733 (I know it's a European pressing, but that's about all I know about that one). Darn - I sure would like to hear these Japanese first pressings (of either Joshua Tree or War) once and for all, but to be honest, it doesn't seem to make sense to buy them just to compare them with what I have.

I love SHTV but I hate it too, for this kind of stuff. Come to think of it - I live in NYC, and I have a love-hate relationship with this town as well!

George P likes this.
  16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

And your comment reminds me of all the (much more than $30) euros I flushed down the toilet to buy discs featuring masterings I already had. I credit @ricks and his posts regarding the subject for opening my eyes about it and allowing me to save a lot of money since.
    Some I would have bought anyway for collecting purposes but it's nice to know that a CD sold for one penny on Amazon's marketplace features the same exact mastering of a pricey disc that comes with an OBI, eg "The Joshua Tree"

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    ricks, George P and eelkiller like this.
  17. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

ricks, what's your favorite?

18. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Got a 80s German sonopress ("pink" mastering), a 90s PMDC France ("yellow") and the remaster. None of them is bad.

danielbravo likes this.
  19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

To preface I really do not like the album, not even 1 song, but I do have a buddy and sometimes forum member here who does. So I managed to trudge through a direct + blind compare session.

When we did the compare we used his P35D, the Island JVC P35 identical disc, the light blue column disc, and the MFSL

My buddy had just spent good coin on the P35D and insisted it would sound than the identical US JVC stock disc which he also had. So we did that first using gear we allowed to become fully warm that was left on for 25 minutes prior to beginning compares as per our norm. I told him if he could pick out the P35 3 out of 3 times then I would digress. Well he could not pick it out, not even once, and the only time he thought he sensed one might be better than the other it was the stock disc he thought had the edge. In effect the only differences were the passage of time and internal sinus pressure/cavity differences. Talk to any ENT Doctor and they will tell you that is something that in nearly always in flux even if we don't conscientiously notice it. But my apologies for mentioning medical fact instead of hokum :) Of course he was rather upset he forked over good money for a something in effect he already had but a good life lesson learned I guess.

So then the real compares began; the P35D vs the light blue column. The P35D mastering won out in many aspects of sound for both of us, the most key being mid's and lows IIRC. Last came P35D vs MFSL. My buddy preferred the P35D, and I leaned towards the MFSL just slightly and I really do not remember why. But if I was was to compare again it could go the other way. So my recommendation is get the stock disc with the P35D mastering instead of spending good money on the MFSL. Don't bother with the Japan P35D unless one is a collector of the album or has an OBI fetish :)

In interest of full disclosure I do own the MFSL having received a free copy from my buddy who had the good fortune to get an extra one as part of huge MFSL lot he purchased sight unseen [risky but as mentioned he got lucky] for pennies on the dollar. I also have the Island JVC which is P35 identical and the light blue column mastering but mine is an late early DADC. I also never play them but the MFSL does looks "pretty" on the shelf.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Many thanks for the kind words Marcel! Knowing that I have saved even a single person from being conned by the the "faction" as I had once been, makes it all worthwhile in my mind.

ARK and PH416156 like this.
  21. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I still have the Joshua Tree CD I bought in 1987. Maybe not on the release date but within a few weeks at most.

It says "Made in USA by PDO" on the outer rim, and the inner rim says "90581-2 22!" on the inner rim. Barcode says "0 7567-90581-2 6".

Not sure what pressing this is but must be pretty early.

It has always sounded good to me. Maybe I am just clueless, LOL.

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're very welcome. I'm sure you saved much more people than you think. :thumbsup:

and let's repeat it again: the P35D mastering of "The Joshua Tree" can usually be found for one penny on Amazon, so no need to buy a JPN copy unless you want a nice collectable.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    ricks and Dave like this.
  23. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

U2 The Joshua Tree, bought in the UK around the time of release;
    https://www.discogs.com/U2-The-Joshua-Tree/release/1988205

Matrix - Mastered By Nimbus – CID U2 6 :- (3 dot, no other matrix identifiers)
    87.2 / 90.2 / 93.7 / 76.0 / 76.8 / 74.2 / 77.2 / 72.0 /85.7 / 76.2 / 53.1

The same peaks as posted by ‘LeeAnthony1984’ (Page 5 post # 110)

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Japan (Pink) can also be found on the US SRC pressings
    Later US IFPI runs used the US Polygram (Light Blue) levels

25. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I have an IFPI Columbia House CD that uses the original master as heard on the earliest USA and Japan discs.

c-eling likes this.