What is the best CD of the Joshua Tree?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Sanders, Dec 15, 2009.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Nice!
    The US PMDC IFPI uses the Light Blue, so it looks like Polygram associated issues, who pressed your CH?

2. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

I posted the below in a thread discussing the merits, or otherwise, of The Joshua Tree on vinyl. Saw this thread and I have pasted it here. I would be interested to see if anyone else agrees.
    "Interesting thread this. I had The Joshua Tree on vinyl when it was first released. I can't remember much about it, sonically. Just used to put it on a (really) cheap set-up I had at the time and enjoyed it. That was a long time ago and things have moved on. Anyway, I long since sold my vinyl copy and wanted to replace it with a c.d. version. I now have a decent stereo set up and love playing my c.d's on it. With a good set up, and decent material, it really is surprising how much more enjoyable the listening experience has become. Often, playing a c.d. I have played countless times in the past, becomes almost like a first listening experience. Things I had never noticed in the mix before etc. Anyway, I did a lot of research before buying, checking the threads on this forum and elsewhere and finally plumped for the 2007 20th anniversary remastered version. I can't speak for the vinyl as I have never heard them but as they use the same mastering they can't be a million miles apart. What a let down... yes, it is certainly clearer but where are the drums!? On the first play I was loving the detailed and atmospheric build up in the intro to "Where The Streets Have No Name" gets to the part where the drums should really kick in and wtf? Where are they? So far back in the mix to be almost non existant. Rest of the disc pretty much along the same lines. Do you guys feel the same with your vinyl? Bitterly disappointed."

sunking101 likes this.
  3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The rear tray insert says "Manufactured by Columbia House Under License".

4. c-eling

The CD matrix hub info?

5. S. P. Honeybunch

DIDX-001706 15 IFPI 5100

c-eling likes this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Is that not the one in column #4?

@marcel, it may help if the chart had the matrix information listed.

It would also be interesting to know which discs are derived from the same digital transfer and which are totally different. We know the pink and light blue discs come from the same digital transfer, for example.

7. S. P. Honeybunch

Yes, column 4.

8. c-eling

Thanks, appreciate it
    I was curious what later plants were using what master
    Still that late in the game two were still being used in the US

9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

MFSL is really, really good.

10. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I also have a CID U2 6 release (with 842 298-2 added). Matrix reads "842 298 2 00A L7 1A**D" and "PMDC France" is in the inner hub. Same peak levels as yours ("yellow" mastering)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  11. The box set version of the album.

ARK likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

Just curious, @marcel, any reason the same color columns are not organized next to each other?

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Hello, I just collected the EAC peak levels posted by several forum members, a couple times via PM iirc; I only have 3 copies of The Joshua Tree on CD (JPN, France and EU); if needed and if all the remaining matrix info surface, I could upgrade the chart

I wanted to avoid a pink wall, then a light blue wall and so on.. so no more than 2 consecutive with the same color :)

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think that would actually be much clearer and more helpful.

BeatlesBop and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Ah, so for aesthetic reasons, OK. I think that from a practical standpoint, the wall is useful in highlighting the CDs that use the same mastering.

16. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

U2 – The Joshua Tree – Mastered By Nimbus CID U2 6 :- (3 Dot)

[​IMG]

After reading about some Index-point anomalies thought I have a (basic quick) look at this as it is something I have never noticed before on (owned) stand-alone dedicated CD players.
    Importing the cd onto the pc (editing software) all the index points are at positions which correspond to my listening experiences (dedicated CD players).

However, when the disc is played on a pc using Windows Media Player the tracks start before the actual index points as illustrated in the image below;

Trip Through Your Wires – One Tree Hill
    [​IMG]

PsyKies and c-eling like this.
  17. grandegi

If you extract the cue sheet you'll probably detect two index points that delimit the "gap" between tracks. Windows Media Player might erroneously consider the beginning of the gap as starting point of One Tree Hill.

ARK and Mbe like this.
  18. c-eling

Two index points do exist for this title. (per differant masterings) I think it's been previously discussed.
    My PMDC (Polygram) -One Tree Hill
    4:43
    SRC related, remaster etc.
    5:23

ARK and Mbe like this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My guess is it's a function of your drive as well as WMP being lazy. Standalone players vary a bit too. If index points are tight to the start of a song, some players will cut off the start and others won't.

Mbe likes this.
  20. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Well 'c-eling' you confused me even more, although now I understand and find such an error rather (very) amusing.

The coda for One Tree Hill on the edition you mention had become or is the start of Exit;
    [​IMG]

I do not see two Index-points when looking at .cue (EAC) just a pre-gap for Track 1 = 00:00:72
    All other tracks read as Index 01 – 00:00:00, although I may be viewing this incorrectly.

Yeah, it could be specific to my pc drive and WMP, I shall compare switch to other drives and or pc’s to see.

All Good.

c-eling likes this.
  21. grandegi

I extracted the .cue and there's a tiny gap between the tracks:
    Code:
    FILE "08 Trip Through Your Wires.wav" WAVE
      TRACK 08 AUDIO
        INDEX 01 00:00:00
      TRACK 09 AUDIO
        INDEX 00 03:32:24
    FILE "09 One Tree Hill.wav" WAVE
        INDEX 01 00:00:00
    Probably we don't have the same mastering (mine is a PMDC France mastering), anyway it's a derisory gap, so my theory does not work and I think @lukpac is right.

22. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Err, I am sure all of these tecnical posts mean something but they are all above my head, unfortunately. Would anybody like to respond to my comment about the drums being so far back in the mix? Wether they agree or not? And what version sounds the "best."?

23. grandegi

I second this question. It's still unclear to me if, apart from the MFSL, all the masterings listed in the spreadsheet - btw many thanks to all the folks who collected the peak levels and pigeonholed them - are derived from the same mastering (e.g. level shifting) or there are differences amongst them. Given that the japanese (purple) version seems to be the preferred one, are the other masterings at least similar to it or it's night and day?

c-eling likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

eh, it was a nightmare trying to upload a clear chart; the uploaded image was blurry and scaled down and nothing like the smooth one that I had on my PC. Will try again in some days another version with all the similar masterings all close to each other

25. c-eling

I'll try and get around to the Japan (US) Purple and Polygram (US) Light Blue later, it's been awhile since I've listened to them

grandegi likes this.