What is the best Elvis live album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PDMBK, Aug 2, 2022.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

What was missing from the MSG album?

minkahed likes this.
  2. Paulie Donutz

Paulie Donutz Forum Resident

THIS !!!! I couldn't agree more. To me this is what made the 68 Comeback Special.

minkahed and D-rock like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

No, the MSG concert (6/10/72, evening show) is complete. Those two tracks were preformed and recorded during the afternoon show first released as part of An Afternoon In The Garden (6/10/72, afternoon show).

minkahed likes this.
  4. Paulie Donutz

minkahed and Rockford & Roll like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Ordered the FTD Aloha from Hawaii set from Graceland. Gotta quit buying Elvis stuff! Lol.

... now Prince from Anther Planet is looking tempting ...

minkahed and Paulie Donutz like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I saw a 4CD 68 Comeback Special Box Set ... that looks cool. How is that one?

minkahed and Rockford & Roll like this.
  7. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I agree with you that Prince From Another Planet is superior to the original Live From Madison Square Garden, which was rush released to capitalise on the publicity of the appearances. Shame about the loud mastering though.

lou a, minkahed and D-rock like this.
  8. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

I recently acquired the 3-CD set from FTD, (finally) and I gotta say, I wasn't too impressed with the remix.

I'll try listening again, real soon, on better stereo equipment, But I always gravitate to the 1998 remix from Dennis Ferrante.

By the way, I recently Listened to "Aloha" from Apple music and I thought it sounded outstanding.

9. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

In 1978, RCA Records released, "Elvis-Legendary Concert Performances" 2 LP or Twin tape, (C-244047) and is not only a great listen, it's also a great alternative as it incorporates choice tracks from '69-'73 cut "Live".

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Is "A Canadian Tribute" a live album, or a mixture of live and studio tracks? I can't tell from Discogs.

I remember having the gold colored vinyl as a kid, and that it opened with a live version of "Jailhouse Rock".

I haven't heard this for 35+ years, so it could be total garbage, but I remember loving it as a kid.

11. PacificOceanBlue

I prefer the Legacy Edition because it contains the original album/original mix, with a fresh remaster from Anesini. The Prince From Another Planet version is intriguing because of the remix, but the remix and the mastering is a loud mess.

12. Paulie Donutz

Do you know if the remastered MSG CDs are the same as the Legacy edition? I would like not to double dip if they are the same as the Legacy sans packaging.

13. PacificOceanBlue

I am not sure what remastered CDs you are referring to. IIRC, the original MSG album was remastered in '92, and then a fresh remaster of the album was included on the Complete Masters box set and Complete Albums box set. The An Afternoon In The Garden set was only issued once. Maybe there has been a recent individual CD reissue recently that I missed, but I don't think so.

14. Paulie Donutz

Just the regular individual CDs of both MSG shows. Discogs has these as remastered and they are the ones I have . That is why I am not sure if the Legacy set is the same or a new remaster.

Elvis As Recorded At MSG 1991 CD
    Elvis An Afternoon In The Garden 1997 CD

Elvis As Recorded At MSG - Legacy Edition w/ An Afternoon In The Garden 2012 2CD

15. PacificOceanBlue

16. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Having Fun On Stage With Elvis

;)

Shawn and Shak Cohen like this.
  17. lou a

lou a Forum Resident

Mixture of live and studio recordings originally written or recorded by Canadian artists . Early posthumous release-not bad for what it is.

18. Paulie Donutz

Thank you very much. UGH , now I might have to double dip (triple dip if you count the PFAP FTD set) .

MRamble likes this.
  19. Paulie Donutz

MRamble and D-rock like this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

If you have the FTD version, there is no need to downgrade to the Legacy Edition, unless you want to hear the life sucked out of Elvis’ lead vocal.

Paulie Donutz and JimmyCool like this.
  21. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I personally think it's good to have both. As mentioned the FTD is more balanced and probably more listenable in the long run but the legacy release offers a fascinating insight as well just to hear what is going on in all corners of the stage. Just the fact that you can hear John Wilkinson's guitar clearly throughout the whole show is special. This mix helped change the way I hear how the band/musicians/singers interact with Elvis.

22. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Sorry, can you give the name of the FTD version?

23. Paulie Donutz

minkahed likes this.
  24. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Strongly agree.:):edthumbs:

25. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

MSG 72 album.