What is the best Elvis live album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PDMBK, Aug 2, 2022.

1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Does the NBC special count?

2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Personally the Comeback Special was Elvis's prime. I heard they have an album too.

[​IMG]

mBen989 and RSteven like this.
  3. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I really like "Suppose" off this set....

johnny q and RSteven like this.
  4. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Absolutely agree about 'Prince From Another Planet'. The mix of the evening MSG show is so much better than the rushed version they put out in 1972. It's a pity Anesini couldn't have mastered it better, though...

I'd like to add one to this list, which others might well have mentioned. Not necessarily a live album per se, but a performance that has been put in various forms including this FTD release:
    The Wonder Of You August 13th 1970

Also available in a better mix on the 2014 That's The Way It Is Deluxe edition:
    Elvis Presley - That's The Way It Is

Peak Elvis IMO.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

The great thing is the list I've put together can be tweaked to suit your own personal tastes, I merely posted it as a guide for everyone else to build around.

Regarding your other suggestions here are my reasons for not using those sources.....

Tiger Man - 68 Comeback Special/Sitdown portion (RCA/BMG) instead of the complete 68 Comeback Special

I did consider and even tried to include some of the songs 1968 Special but I eventually decided against it, the sound was just too different from the later recordings which made those tracks stand out like a sore thumb.

Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis [March 20, 1974] (FTD), whilst I prefer the mix to that of the Legacy Edition, Lene reidel ruined it during the mastering stages with her usual harsh mixing style.

Elvis - Prince From Another Planet [MSG - both shows - June 10, 1972] (FTD)

To me that is one awful release! I hate the modern mix by Michael Bauer, his style is to use large amounts of compression and limiting during the mixing stage that renders everything he touches unlistenable to my ears.

minkahed and Paulie Donutz like this.
  6. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Are you sure all the compression and limiting are in the mix? I always thought it was the mastering. The Dynamic Range numbers don't look pretty:
    Album list - Dynamic Range DB

7. hodgo

Unfortuntely there wasn't a lot Vic could have done to improve the sound on that pigs ear of a release. Michael Bauer ruined that during the mixing stage, it's his style to use large amounts of compression and limiting whilst mixing, so all the major faults were likely baked in before Vic even started on the mastering. Bauer also did exactly the same thing with the recent Bob Dylan, "Time Out Of Mind" remix.

8. hodgo

Yes, see my last post above, that's Bauer style of mixing which as I mentioned he also used on the recent "Time Out Of Mind" remix.

9. Paulie Donutz

Paulie Donutz Forum Resident

Totally get what you are saying about each of releases I mentioned. Here are my reasoning.

Tiger Man - Me personally I like the sit down portion 1000x better than the production portion and was really happy we got a seperate release for the sit down part. Feels like Elvis was a nervous kid again rediscovering his past (which really wasn't that long ago at the time)
    Memphis - I never got the Legacy edition since I have the same show complete on the FTD. I have heard the same thing about the mix on the Legacy but not sure if I want to double dip again.
    Prince From Another Planet - I have both the FTD and the single remaster CD releases. I feel like the Prince set is more like a "concert" sounding experience, at least to me it is and I like that.

hodgo likes this.
  10. hodgo

I love those sit down shows too but sonically they just didn't fit with the later recordings, on top of which I have the four disc set and 3 x DVD release from a few years back that I watch on a regular basis so I'm not missing out on those performances at all.

Regarding the Memphis 74 show, the best way to listen to that is via the original album release, which 50's medley aside cut out all the chaff and gave us the best bits

RSteven and Paulie Donutz like this.
  11. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

My thoughts on these have changed over the years but of Elvis' original live album releases from his lifetime, I rank them like this these days:

1. In Person at the International Hotel (1969, RCA), though a compilation of performances from a number of dates, is structured like a condensed show. It has an obvious beginning and an end and includes some of Elvis' finest on-stage work. Indeed, this was the very first original album of Elvis' I bought for myself as a young fan, purely because on the front it listed Johnny B. Goode as one of the performances.
    2. As Recorded at Madison Square Garden (1972, RCA), this is the only (save for a couple of coughs) completely unedited live show released during his lifetime. It is well performed, at a high-profile venue, on tour, with all the energy of an arena present, and not hampered by any other extenuating circumstances, such as TV cameras. You feel like you're listening to something big. Also, RCA had limited time to get it out, which means it was saved from any unnecessary overdubbed audience loops.
    3. February 1970, On Stage (1970, RCA), it's the performances and material that elevates this otherwise strange live album. It neither presents the flow of a real Elvis show, nor features any "Elvis Presley songs" (at the time), but arguably includes some of his best 1970s recordings, including Polk Salad Annie, Walk A Mile In My Shoes, and of course a hit in his rendition of The Wonder Of You. But it loses points because it feels like a compilation. By insisting on only including previously unreleased songs from Elvis it somewhat limits itself. RCA ought to have maximised on the success of the American Sound singles by including recorded performances of Kentucky Rain and Don't Cry Daddy in the mix, which would have maintained its contemporary feel, and would have sat nicely alongside the other recordings.
    4. Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (1974, RCA), the reason this sits above number 5 for me is purely about the vibe of the album; it is upbeat, energetic (but in a different, more down to earth kinda way to Madison), and Elvis is singing great. It's live on tour again, and also sans any in-the-house distractions. It has the "end of tour" feel. It of course includes a Grammy-winning performance, which I didn't learn about until later on, so was never an attractant to this album for me. It's not the complete show and does feature some obtrusive overdubbed audience reactions throughout.
    5. Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite (1973, RCA), Elvis' most famous live album, a triumph, and his last great artistic stand. It needs the visuals for me, and that's how I generally chose to experience this concert. Elvis sings well throughout, but the show is kinda caught between two worlds. It's an arena show but is shackled by the stilted feel of a Vegas showroom, due to the TV cameras, live TV broadcast constraints, and an audience that can't fully explode. The focus is on the audience on the other side of the cameras, rather than the audience in the room, and so most of the live energy Elvis could exhibit is lost, this becomes largely about executing straight, "perfect" performances, which Elvis mostly achieves.
    As to posthumous releases, there are so many, but if I had to whittle it down to just five releases, I could recommend these to anyone checking out Elvis live material:
    1. Tiger Man (1998, BMG), a rip-roaring complete recording of Elvis' second sit-down show in 1968 captured for the NBC-TV Special. Though not an everyday concert, the setup of Elvis and his buddies jamming in a circle overcomes the television restrictions and results in some of Elvis' best work.
    2. An Afternoon in the Garden (1997, BMG), the afternoon show captured at Madison Square Garden in 1972 as an option for the album release (evening show used). To my ears, it has the edge on the evening show, due to its repertoire and feel. Available on its own or part of the As Recorded at Madison Square Garden Legacy Edition (Sony) (recommended).
    3. That's The Way It Is - Special Edition (2000, BMG), includes the complete (sans Band Introductions for some reason) August 12, 1970 Midnight Show, one of Elvis' finest Vegas concerts captured on tape. You have to obtain this as part of a 3CD set, but it's worth it for the audio mix (which I feel was not surpassed on the 2014 boxset of a similar name, Deluxe Edition (Sony)), plus the third disc offers additional live performances and rehearsal recordings.
    4. Hot August Night (2013, FTD), features the complete August 25th, 1969 Midnight Show, where a chunk of the In Person performances were pulled from. Elvis ups his game even more during this show, no doubt due to Tom Jones sitting in the audience. Mixed and Mastered by Vic Anesini, hearing these performances in their proper context results in a great live experience on record.
    5. Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis (2004, FTD), yes, the same show as the edited 1974 album, but here complete (sans a false start) and free from the added audience applause from the original release. The audio is also produced in a way that it has the most "live in the audience" feel of any Elvis live release I've heard. Also available as part of a Legacy Edition (2014, Sony), but the mix is kinda stiff and the ambiance is gone. Get the FTD!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    alchemy, JimmyCool, x2zero and 3 others like this.
  12. Paulie Donutz

That is a great, great list and even better descriptions/comments about each live album. Thank you very much for this.

As far as the MSG shows you listed, have you heard the Prince From Another Planet set? I have both the Prince From Another Planet and the individual CDs but not the Legacy Edition. While I love the sound of the Prince set, I am wondering if it is worth it the get the Legacy set if is different than the individual CDs.

13. Nosferatuz

Nosferatuz Forum Resident

If you want live Elvis, stick with TV Special and From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis.

14. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Thank you.

I do have the Prince From Another Planet set, but I rarely play it. I do not like what they did with the audio on this release, I much prefer the Legacy Edition version of these concerts, featuring the 1972 and 1997 mixes of the two shows.

If the only version of the original 1972 album you have is the early 90s CD re-issue, I highly recommend picking up the Legacy Edition, the remaster of that original 1972 mix is much better.

15. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

The round set as well. That´s swagger

16. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

How strange. I was wondering about this earlier as I have the 1990s releases of the two MSG shows and the PFAP set.

Trots off to Amazon to order the Legacy set.

17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have forgotten…why was there a Legacy Edition release of Madison Square Garden AND Prince from Another Planet? It’s the same shows, right?

Paulie Donutz likes this.
  18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

is that FTD still available anywhere? I need to hear that mix!

19. Paulie Donutz

This is what I have

Elvis Presley - Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden
    Elvis - An Afternoon In The Garden
    https://www.discogs.com/release/5080131-Elvis-Prince-From-Another-Planet

So the mixes on the Legacy Edition are different?

I never got why Sony/RCA released the PFAP and Legacy Edition sets at around the same time especially if there are different mixes/remasters.

20. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The mixes on the Legacy Edition are the original 1972 mix of the evening show, and the 1997 mix of the afternoon show (as released on An Afternoon In The Garden).

For the evening show, the Legacy Edition is a sound upgrade on the old 1991 CD you have, which features the 1972 mix.

minkahed likes this.
  21. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Only used at this point.

CBackley likes this.
  22. Jim Fixx

Jim Fixx Forum Resident

I prefer the earlier show because even though they sound like rehearsals, there's a bit less polish and it's a nervier performance which I think added to Elvis's enthusiasm.

I agree that An Afternoon at the Garden is a superb record.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  23. John AB

John AB Forum Resident

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread but which ones are the best vinyl versions ?

I'm gathering from reading this that half of the people chose Aloha and the people that didn't heard the new FTD release and moved it way up i their lists

Reading through this it. sounds like tiger man, international, and aloha would be the winners.

is that a fair reading of the comments?

24. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

The leather in the round 2 LP

25. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Up date..

ON TOUR SET

MSG (50TH)

And as far left as you can get,

The Ed Sullivan Shows (DVD)

What ever,fill her boots.