What is the best sounding Cliff Richard compilation 1958-1982

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pantofis, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Has anyone ever heard the 5CD-box that was put out by Readers Digest in the early 1980s? The title was The Best of Cliff Richard and the Shadows. I'd like to know which tracks are on this box.

2. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

EMI Uden pressings? Everything up to 1965?

I thought that set to be pretty good. I thought it was an import for us in UK. The twofers were domestic.

3. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I listened to the Shadows first album from this box set last night and it sounded great, the level is not high which means it has not been brickwalled and I was not aware of any drastic noise reduction, it's funny I haven't played this box set for years because it was quiet but we all have volume controls, it has a very natural sound and Hanks guitar is not pushed down into the mix which is the case on later CD's

4. mikrt17

I was only aware that this was a vinyl only release and I have never seen a CD version but I may be wrong.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Best of Cliff Richard and the Shadows was released on CD in the early 1980s and contained 5 discs. I am looking for a tracklisting.

6. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Does "The Rock & Roll Years" 4CD set have the stupid stereo reverb versions of his songs?

Also, cliff richard never sang on any of his songs. They were all sung by Harry Webb.

For the confused: Harry Webb is cliff richards real name

7. mikrt17

The 1980 version is vinyl only but there was a 1999 version on CD and the track listing is here :

http://www.malcolmcampbell.me.uk/reviews/shadsfax07.html

8. mikrt17

Unfortunately is does have the stupid reverb to widen the mono signal, there are not many of his songs from the last ten years that have not been treated in this way.

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Who is Cliff Richard?

10. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

damn, as it looked like a really good cd set.

an 18 year old named Harry Webb who was made famous in 1958 with the hit single Move It! backed with Schoolboy Crush.

11. mikrt17

The reverb is not immediately apparent as on the 'The Hit List' and does not have that terrible digital repeat it's just a subtle widening effect, I think they went much further with 'The Hit List' .......Rock And Roll Years is worth picking up and it's cheap at the moment since they re-packaged it.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There seem to be no pre-1989 EMI/MFP CD compilations with Cliff's No.1 hit "I Love You". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

13. mikrt17

There is a great sounding version of 'I Love You' in mono on 'Hit's Of 1960' Music For Pleasure CD-MFP 6018 released in 1987 It's deleted now but there may be copies still around, it's not a Cliff CD but a collection of EMI hits from that year. it's true there are no Cliff CD compilations with that track pre-1989

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hits-1960-Var..._CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item33678780fd#ht_500wt_1156

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I will keep track of lower priced auctions of the Hits of 1960 comp

15. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Apart from that track it like many in that series do sound really good for the other artists featured. I own a complete set.

16. BradOlson

I will have to keep my eyes open for CDs in that series in other words.

17. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member Thread Starter

Today I received a used copy of the German compilation "Remember Me" on CD.
    It seems it's a Germany only release:
    http://www.discogs.com/Cliff-Richard-Remember-Me/release/491113

I compared a few cuts (Summer Holiday, Don't Talk To Him, Lucky Lips) to the 40 Golden Greats counterparts. There is a lot more hiss and high end on "Remember Me", probably the result of jacking up the highs (so that tracks like "Some People" don't stand out) plus the non-use of noise reduction (which I believe wasn't used back in 1987).
    Not quite as sweet and fat sounding as 40 Golden Greats, but the song selection is fantastic (though it manages to omit "Move It"!!) and no no-noising...
    Plus: it has the original mix of "Devil Woman" (everything from 1989 on features a late 80es remix)

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct as far as digital noise reduction is concerned. A digital noise reduction device was developed by Sonic Solutions in 1987. Some record companies began using it in the late 1980s - rather enthusiastically, I might add... :(

19. mikrt17

The entire Cliff album re-issues in 1991 was ruined by engineers being over enthusiastic with their new toy, if they had not got so excited that twofer project could have been the ultimate back catologue release for Cliff. they were quickly deleted so they knew they goofed.

20. BradOlson

I Love You is also on the Pseudonym UK PD boxed set as well.

21. BradOlson

Have you heard Steve's Razor & Tie CD of Cliff's 1976-1994 hits?

22. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member Thread Starter

No, I haven't seen it cheap anywhere...

23. BradOlson

24. BradOlson

I have listened to the mono disc of "Rockin' With The Shadows" box and this is a set I highly recommend. The Me and the Shadows album is indeed one of the best pre-Beatles British pop 60s pop albums ever.

25. mikrt17

I'm pleased to hear you like it I was pleased with that package when I bought it, I agree about 'Me And My Shadows' it is certainly the best pre- Beatles British album and in my opinion very under rated by the mainstream, I think they broke new ground with this album and it was just a pity they carry on in this vain, Cliff's next album was mainly standards with lightweight Shadows songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.