What is the best sounding Cliff Richard compilation 1958-1982

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pantofis, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I also just got the Summer Holiday soundtrack on Music For Pleasure CD in the mail today.

2. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

3. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Yes it sounds good but and it does have the original version of 'Bachelor Boy' on there but it's in split stereo and it's the only way to get this version on CD you can of course just hit the mono button, also 'Big News' is split stereo.

4. BradOlson

It says on the cliffrichardsongs.com website that the CD issue of 40 Golden Greats uses the split stereo version while the LP uses the remix version.

5. mikrt17

Yes you are correct the first version of 'Bachelor Boy' is on '40 Golden Greats' CD I had forgotten about that ...........the version on the 'Summer Holiday' MFP CD is the first version in split stereo and it's also on the original vinyl but the re-mastered re-issue CD of 'Summer Holiday' has the re-mix version in mono and also all the greatest hits compilations since 'The Hit List'

6. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I have the R&T comp and it is awesome! I got it from Flea World for 89 cents! :righton:

7. BradOlson

You should add the 40 Golden Greats to your collection as a starter package of his early years.

8. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member Thread Starter

While we're on the subject of Cliff live, can someone tell me if his singing in the recent years is really live? I watched some clips from 2010 and his vocals appear eerily perfect while he dances relentlessly like a 20 year old...and the man is 70!

9. BradOlson

His singing is live

10. BradOlson

The version of Devil Woman on the Razor & Tie CD is the same version that is on the 40 Golden Greats CD issue and all other CD issues since that early fade came out. (3:35)

11. BradOlson

BTW, 40 Golden Greats is still sold in a fatboy case, even with the small booklet.

12. mikrt17

Yes Cliff does sing live, you have to remember he started 50 years ago when everything was live including live television and he has become a master at singing live and dancing at the same time also he is a great singer and it comes easy for him.

pantofis likes this.
  13. mikrt17

I'm always amazed how it's still in print since there have been many compilations released since '40 Golden Greats' maybe it's because it's the only compilation that has not been tampered with and sounds natural so EMI kept it in the catologue.

EMI seem to favour fatboy cases, recent compilations of sixties artists also are in fatboy cases.

14. BradOlson

I agree that 40 Golden Greats is overall excellent sounding throughout. A truly essential compilation for any fan.

15. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I just recently found 40 Golden Greats for dirt cheap, and WOW!!! No stupid stereo reverb!! the recordings sound normal and dont have that funny metallic sound to them.

pantofis likes this.
  16. BradOlson

With the exception of the fake stereo Young Ones, which to correct that, get the MFP Young Ones soundtrack CD, which my copy should be in the mail either today or tomorrow.

17. mikrt17

18. BradOlson

19. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

20. mikrt17

21. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The Young Ones true stereo version without the strings overdub can be found on the EMI-Virgin-Ariola CDs.

I know that it isn't the same as the version on the 45 rpm single, but it is the same version as on the original stereo LP, and it sounds genuinely superb.

I am firmly of the opinion that the Cliff Richard 45 rpm versions sound at their best on the original UK Columbia 45s themselves.

For a real treat seek out the stereo Cliff Sings EPs from 1959 - they sound fabulous, and the impact of the lead guitar is remarkable. They are good on CD, but the CD hasn't got quite the same attack.

Seek out also the Dutch 12" EP reissues - Living Doll in particular sounds gorgeous, but they are all excellent.

22. mikrt17

I've always preferred the stereo version of 'The Young Ones' without strings which was on the first issue of the album...........I to agree that the 45 sound is wonderful and cut from the original fresh tapes through valve equipment and using EQ and compression approved at the time by Norrie Paramor.............I have the stereo 'Cliff's Sings' EP's and indeed they do sound great, I've not heard the Dutch re-issues..........

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Per instructions here, I ordered the old MFP "THE YOUNG ONES" CD hoping to hear the wonderful "string-less" version of the title song. What I got was a garbled, compressed fake stereo mushed version of the old mono overdub with strings.

Opened my back door and flung it out. Felt good. Hadn't done that in a while.

24. BradOlson

I was able to get it for $10 US funds on eBay.

25. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

It's this one you want...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.