What Is The Big Deal About "A Christmas Story" (1983)?!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

We need 24/7-365 pumpkin spice for sure.:love: ...so your analogy would mean it's the greatest Christmas film ever. :shh:

musicfan37, drufty and MikeInFla like this.
  2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Well no, my analogy means it was something that was okay in small doses and then, like everything it just became too much.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

You're welcome.

Steve Litos, Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  6. drufty

drufty Forum Resident

I notice a discrepancy between those who saw the movie before it became a classic and after. Those of us who saw the movie in the 80s (I saw it when it first hit HBO in December 1985) hold it more fondly it seems than those who came decades late to the party and only saw it after TBS began to super saturate it. I admit I saw it too many times growing up that last year was the first time in at least 30 years I actively chose to sit and watch it in its entirety (also because I planned to watch the sequel) but its still a cute and charming movie that may just be the victim of its own popularity

7. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

Much like "It's a Wonderful Life."

8. Michael

now we have 2 Christmas story movies to enjoy each year!

9. Michael

It captures the Christmas spirit of the time perfectly!

10. Michael

as soon as this movie came out on Home Video it became a yearly seasonal watch!...it was a pleasure seeing it uncut as most of the broadcast TV showings were butchered for many years...

11. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Yes. I was lucky enough to discover the film on HBO in the 1980s, when the network ran the film steadily, but not relentlessly, every December. It was only a mild success in theaters, so discovering A Christmas Story on HBO was a joy - something you told other kids about, if they hadn't seen it already. I don't know if I would feel quite the same way, if I had grown up later, when TBS and TNT started running the film on a loop for 24 hours starting on Christmas Eve (to say nothing of the merchandising, museum/house in Ohio, etc.).

12. drufty

drufty Forum Resident

Very true. I saw the movie one afternoon as a kid, loved it, told my parents who then watched and loved it it and it became a staple in our family for years

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I first saw in on HBO as well in the 80’s and loved it. Been a family tradition every year with our kids (oldest is 29, middle 21, youngest 13) and all of them grew up on it either VHS or DVD. We usually watch it once a year and I am not even sure if the younger 2 kids are even aware that it plays endlessly on TBS.

14. Michael

been watching it every year since the debt...when it finally hit Home video I bought all the formats it was release on! I still watch it every season.... now we have 2 ACS to enjoy every season!

15. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Finally watched the Blu-Ray I bought months back of A Christmas Story.

The picture quality and sharpness and color made it look and feel different from what I remembered watching it on cable in the late '80's, early '90's. I could tell they removed the lens diffraction softness of the original's low contrast look. The BD makes it look too real with heightened clarity. Fixed it by reducing Gamma 2 clicks and Saturation by 5 clicks. Now it has the original's 1940's feel but much sharper. Stunning picture.

What's a real treat is the BD's Feature: History of the Red Rider BB gun and and interview with the original company that made the Leg Lamp.

jbmcb and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I saw it on its initial theatrical run in 1983 with my family and loved it. Was quite surprised to find out years later that it had become a manic perennial.

Michael and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Forum Resident

I think for some people (me included) their great affection for A Christmas Story can be traced to a general appreciation for its author, Jean Shepherd. To them, Shep was already famous (some would say infamous) for his long-running late-night radio show on WOR and in print for his nostalgic short stories about his childhood (from which the film is derived). For us, our love of A Christmas Story is wrapped up in our affection for the great American humorist that was Jean Shepherd.

BTW, "A Boy Named Sue", the Shel Silverstein song made famous in 1969 by Johnny Cash, was inspired by Jean Shepherd confessing to his friend Shel about how tough it was growing up with what was considered by his schoolmates to be "girl's name".

18. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

As a native Texan for 63 years who rarely ventured out of state A Christmas Story was the first I heard of Jean Shepherd when I saw the movie in the theater at first release. But I immediately loved his narrative style and the tone, timing and timbre of his voice which sounded so down to earth with just the right amount of righteous sarcasm and wit better than "Awe Shucks" humorist Will Rogers.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Jean does a cameo as the guy who tells Ralphie that the start of the line at the department store to see Santa Clause was way farther back.

After I watched the movie I never saw Jean Shepherd nor did I hear or read any of his other narrative stories. I thought he was just a hired voice actor.

Lightworker, jbmcb, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  19. MikeInFla

Now available on DVD to add to the collection! A Christmas Story Christmas on DVD

Amazon.com

20. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

Mike, is it worthwhile?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. MikeInFla

Yes. While not as good as the original it is a very nice send off from the original cast. Very true to the original. We watched it last year on HBO Max and everyone in the family enjoyed it.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I always wondered why Turner Broadcasting never just allocated one of their channels to rotating A Christmas Story and The Shawshank Redemption endlessly, as the only two programs on their schedule.

I'd be willing to bet, some niche audience would build-up some cult based around the only telemarketing-style commercials they'd run in the middle of those...and once other media outlets picked up on that, then those would become "a thing".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Michael

next month starts the 2 Christmas Story movies...double the fun!

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  24. Michael

yes, we loved it...but I wish the original Mom was in the movie...

25. Michael

no Blu-Ray?!

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.