What Is The Big Deal About "A Christmas Story" (1983)?!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

This just me, but if you can watch Rudolph, your Christmas movie standards aren't very high. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is less dopey than Rudolph.

2. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

The beauty of it is that it also felt like my childhood Christmases of the 50's and early 60's.

rburly, The Panda and dewey02 like this.
  3. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

And even to some degree my childhood Christmases of the early 1980s.

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Maybe YOU should be looking at HER like an alien!:D

5. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

As many have stated here, I think most of the attraction to the film derives from nostalgia for that time period. My parents were both born in 1945 and they love the movie.

6. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I did....and I'll leave it at that. Pick your battles VERY carefully!!

7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It is to me. You are, after all, just a person on the internet.

8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I saw this movie in the theater when it came out when I was living in Fargo, ND. I enjoyed the movie then and still do to this day.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Sorry! was the Script Co-writer and Director!
    Benjamin "Bob" Clark
    (August 5, 1939 – April 4, 2007) was an American actor, director, screenwriter and producer best known for directing and writing the script with Jean Shepherd to the 1983 Christmas film A Christmas Story.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  10. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I was born in 1956, so I have no nostalgia for the period- I just think it's a funny movie:)

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I've been there and was startled to find that it's on a narrow street in a rather rundown neighborhood, with a sleazy bar on the corner.

Simon A likes this.
  12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I've been there too, and I didn't think the neighborhood was that rundown. Houses were old and not immaculately kept, but that is exactly the type of neighborhood that many of us grew up in. And nearly every block had a bar on the corner and a neighborhood grocery store on the other. This neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio is not dissimilar to the actual Cleveland Street in Hammond, Indiana where Shep really grew up. Back in the 1940's through 1960's, not everyone lived in a new house on a cul-de-sac in the suburbs. And in fact, lots of people don't live like that today. Ralphie's family was of modest means.

In the Ralphie stories, I believe it was the neighborhood Bluebird Bar that the Old Man frequented, so even the bar on the corner fits with the actual stories.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Someday I need to stop feeding trolls... :shake:

14. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I was born in '69 and the film creates nostalgia for me.

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The same with me. There were things 'the old man' did that reminded me of my dad also.

When I was growing up, we didn't know there was a mother's club that passed information on when we were kids. If I ever did anything, my mom would ask me about it as soon as I walked in the door. I didn't find out about the mothers club until I was in my 20's. And... it was never "Wait till your father gets home." My mom had a good swing with whatever she could get her hands on!

The movie reminds me of simpler times. I could imagine somebody daring someone else to put their tongue on the flagpole too! And the snow was so high that I'm sure there was a Randy somewhere in my neighborhood. I have to see the movie at least once sometime before Christmas. It's a tradition now. It's like listening to Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving day.

Bobby Buckshot and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

I guess it just certain folks who can relate to most of the movie! yes, times some ppl cannot even imagine or want to...they'd rather find the negativeness and ignore the positives of an era that can never be again...when I look how far we digressed it makes me sad...

rburly likes this.
  17. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Steve Litos and rburly like this.
  18. Michael

Thanks for the link.

19. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I remember the print was in really good shape & in the correct aspect ratio. It may have been a touch faded, but if so, added to the feeling of the stories time. Also, being an old projectionist, admired the cue marks & changeovers. :love:

20. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

When I was young I resisted watching this film for no apparent reason other than I thought it looked a little cheesy when digested in small doses. Then I watched it from the beginning and ate my words. I was really, really impressed by this movie. It avoids overt cheerfulness for the sake of a very poignant, edgy, humorous nostalgia. The style and narration does more to capture the sensibilities of imaginative American youth more than any other film I can think of. Everything from the low camera angles (during the Santa scene) to the heightened (retrospective) narration to the dramatic orchestral music really takes the movie far out of the "holiday" genre into the realm of classic cinema. Of course in spite of all this it might look a little dated (as 99% of movies eventually do), but it has a ton of soul and top-notch writing. As a result of it's quirks and it's ability to really step inside the protagonist's shoes, it remains completely watchable year after year.

mrjinks, Bobby Buckshot and MMM like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think it's because most Christmas movies suck.

DHamilton likes this.
  22. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  23. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'll never understand why people like to proudly proclaim their disdain for things that many people enjoy. Do they think it makes them special?

I'll admit to disliking a lot of pop culture, and will say so if my opinion is solicited- but why go out of your way to trash something?

mrjinks and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
  24. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Just went through all my Christmas dvds and blu-rays this weekend (I keep a list on my phone so I don't pick up dupes) and realized my 'Christmas Story' blu-ray is missing.
    I enjoy the film... my favorite scene is when Ralphie rats out one of his buddies for teaching him the F word (though we all know he learned it from The Old Man) and we hear the kid get the tar beat out of him by his mom over the phone.
    Bit of trivia (went through the thread but didn't see it mentioned)... Jack Nicholson was the first choice to play The Old Man.

25. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

What is the aspect ratio of the blu-ray? Full frame like the dvd?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.