What is the Cause of My CD Burning Issues?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daniel Plainview, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Socks

Holy Socks Active Member

Good software. And Ashampoo offers the full version (Ashampoo Burning Studio 19 is the latest) at great prices all the time. I picked it up along with a bunch of other decent programs for $10 recently on Stacksocial. Bad media can cause many burning problems also.

2. Ponzio

Ponzio Forum Resident

I give u credit, you're a persistent son-of-a-gun. At this point I would of just pulled out the old burn barrel in the garage and torched the Dell PC and what the hell, throw in the Compaq in there for good luck.

Don't know of you're a Costco member but u can pick up a decent desktop PC for $400 to $600 and avoid getting an ulcer.

That is unless you're a masochist, in which case, carry on sir. :D

Good luck.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man Thread Starter

I will buy a different brand of CD-R and try one last time. If it fails... well, I'll never listen to burned music ever again, I guess. :(

We have no Costco in these parts.

4. Daniel Plainview

So to summarize the facts:

• Dell Computer CD Drive - punched, was initially giving me noise on track 1's, hit and miss, now won't burn at all, just spins forever (It still plays CDs, though).

• External CD burner - gives me noise on track 1's or gives me a CD that is unreadable by CD players. This occurs regardless whether I use the Dell or the Compaq.

• I've attempted to burn FLACS, WAVS, MP3s. I've tried a variety of different files. No effect.

• I have attempted to burn the discs using several different CD burning apps.

So we are left with these scenarios -

• My excessive attempts at burning a CD without noise over the past 72 hours has resulted in both CD drives breaking (not to mention I punched the Dell in the face)

or

• The Sony brand CD-Rs are faulty in some way (and I have never experienced this in 18 years of burning CDs)

I will buy a different pack of CD-Rs on my way home tonight. This will eliminate one hypothesis. If my CD drives continue to fail then I have no choice but to assume that there is a mechanical conspiracy against me due to my abuse of the Dell desktop computer. I think this is the most rational and sane theory. I'm sleeping with a gun under my pillow in case they come for me in the night.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's not the discs. 100% certainty. Something in the PC is causing these issues and the only way would be to have physical access to it. Bring it to a tech who knows what he's talking about.

Alternatively, you can either reformat/reinstall Windows or use System Restore and go back to a time when you did not experience these issues. Note that the latter is no guarantee it'll work then too but worth a try.

6. Daniel Plainview

Bought a 100 pack of Verbatim CD-R.

Got White Album box. Wished to make copies to play on discman in bed so as not to mishandle originals.

Ripped the discs to wav using Dell CD drive.

Burned discs using Dell CD drive.

Issues: NONE.

Not ready to try Metallica files, yet, though.

But at least I know the CD drive still functions... sometimes...

:goodie:

7. Daniel Plainview

Ok. I burned a Metallica wav.

No scuff. No static. PERFECT.

It was 100% the discs!

Thank you and everyone for your time and effort and for talking me off the ledge!

SONY CD-R NEVER AGAIN

8. Strat-Mangler

You mentioned earlier in the thread you tried other discs, no? That was the info I was basing that on.

9. Strat-Mangler

I see where the confusion is. First reply was about bad discs and you stated you were going to buy others that night to try and kept replying in the thread so I assumed that meant you tried other discs but it looks like you never did until just now.

Yes, discs can be bad. Entire batched, in fact. Some brands don't make their own discs but rather buy them from other companies which is far cheaper for them. Unfortunately, that makes them rather unreliable in that the cheapest priced discs they could buy to rebrand that month might actually be terrible. I've run into that situation early on in my CD-burning days and swore off the cheap stuff forever. Verbatim has always been quite strong and one of the most reliable brands out there for blank CD-Rs. Fujitsu is another one.

Glad you got it figured out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.