What is the first "hit" song you can remember hearing as a child?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Jun 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Realize I gave an incorrect answer - Yellow Submarine based on seeing the movie in 68 at age 3.

Earlier than that I remember hearing Weavers hit records such as Goodnight Irene and Tzena Tzena Tzena on my parents mono HiFi. Those would have been the first hits I heard.

2. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

I think my babysitter was playing "Surfin USA". Made zero sense to me. Then I recall hearing "Downtown". First rocknroll number that grabbed me to where it clicked was Stones "It's All Over Now" - that Brian intro was what got me into rock music.

3. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy

4. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Aqua - Barbie Girl

5. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

The first one I remember is hearing "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" playing on the car radio back in the early 70's when I was around five years old. Of course, I didn't know what the song was until years later, at the time I just knew it as the "Hands Across the Water" song, every time it played on the radio I would tell my mom "I like this song!".

Grant likes this.
  6. elee532

elee532 Forum Resident

I'm not sure the timeline... maybe somewhere around 6 to 8... my mom had a stack of 45s that I liked to play with... Jailhouse Rock and Hound Dog stick in my mind. Parents also had an 8-track of which I remember one by the Beatles which included I Want To Hold Your Hand, one by The Carpenters with Top of the World, and ones by Helen Reddy and Hank Williams

7. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I was five and thought the lyrics were bizarre.

8. jricc

jricc Senior Member

It was either
    She Loves You
    Or
    Deep Purple by Nino Tempo & April Stevens

9. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I'm confused. A hit song that was brand new or hit song from a long time ago?

10. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

I was born in ‘73 so I wouldn’t have heard Uncle Albert when it first came out as a single, but it is somehow imprinted on my brain (especially hands across the water), despite my parents not having Ram in their collection. So it must have been radio play.

I am told that the first song I reacted to whenever it was played was Rhinestone Cowboy, which was a crossover #1 in Canada when I was two.

RSteven likes this.
  11. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident

Killing me softly
    American pie

RSteven likes this.
  12. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

A couple of other people have mentioned The Beach Boys' "Surfin' USA."

I'm not sure that's the first hit I remember hearing, but it's the first that I
    ever played on a juke box. I was about six, and my family was in some
    typically early '60s style casual cocktail lounge type restaurant, and I was
    given a dime for the record machine. I picked this record because I wanted
    some rock 'n' roll, without really knowing what that might be, but just knowing
    that it was probably something very tough and cool. I thought the title was
    "Sufferin' USA," and this sounded tough and cool, and maybe even serious
    too. The juke box volume was disappointingly low, and I didn't get a sufficient enough
    listen for the song to make an impression, but my mom said that the percussion
    sounded like someone banging a monkey wrench on a cement floor. That was good
    enough for me! I decided I liked it.

13. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

Well since nobody can answer if it was from the time I first heard it or it was a hit from long ago. I guess at the time it must have been Petula Clark Downtown. If it was from long ago it must have been Mozart's piano concerto number 21.

14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I don’t know. I remember slobbering Yeah Yeah Yeah over and over again to the amusement of adults.

15. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

It may have been "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash or "Walk Right In" by the Rooftop Singers.

RSteven likes this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

King of the Road.

Grant and RSteven like this.
  17. The_Hermit

The_Hermit Traveler of both time and space

CCR Who’ll Stopped the Rain that my step father still love to sing/play on guitar

18. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

"Aquarius" by the Fifth Dimension.

19. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

No offence intended with this little story:

My rather religiously austere father turned off It's a Knockout (a British TV programme of contestants slipping and falling over in weird costumes that somehow became a cult international contest in the guise of 'jeux sans frontiers" when he heard me singing "mama mia, mama mia", which I obviously had picked up from Bohemian Rhapsody. He took offence to it in that he thought I was taking the Virgin Mary's name in vain - I must have only been about 7 years old and of course didn't have a clue what he meant.

Before he passed away, I should have taken my father to see the Queen musical ... come to think of it, for real payback, I could have taken him to see the ABBA musical instead!

20. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I'm not that old but I was always into history. It was my 2nd favourite subject at school & I now work in heritage preservation. I was brought up with songs which are much older than me. I've also seen entertainment that was way older than me. I've had to research 1920's & 1940's music for 1920's & 1940's days at w0rk. I normally get the job of vocally conducting the sing-alongs. We used to have weekly sing-alongs at Grandmas & my Uncles where we sung songs from the 1910's onwards. A lot of the time I prefer older music. I love antiques. I remember old phones. I've not only seen gramophones but I've got 1.

Rock66 likes this.
  21. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Probably "Crocodile Rock", on the car radio, when I was about 3. I used to go bananas whenever it came on, which was pretty often in '75.

22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Definitely something from early Beach Boys days.

23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Big Bad John by Jimmy Dean

RSteven and JohnO like this.
  24. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made For Walkin’

RSteven likes this.
  25. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Its My Party.....Leslie Gore

First 45 record......Green Onions.....Booker T

I loved instrumentals back at an early age for some reason.

snepts, RSteven and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.