What is the oddest way you have acquired a record?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pc-Ray, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Odd? I'll tell you odd...I was offered 10 LPs for just a penny! (All I had to do was buy two more at regular price plus shipping and handling.)

:D

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

In oz there was a music tv show called countdown. They set up a monthly magazine (i think it was in the eighties) first edition had this competition. Answer some questions and win this prize ... I couldn't believe I won. I got an Autographed copy of Cheap Trick One On One, Bonnie Tyler Faster than the speed of NIght. An Earth wind and Fire Autographed photo .. and a bunch of promo photos, it was very cool

3. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Sounds like a nice experience!

Cachiva likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

it was cool ... i think the only thing i have left is the Earth wind and Fire photo, but it was nice to actually win something lol

lightbulb and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  5. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Yes! Especially when you are able to take home multiple prizes like that. :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

Played both albums a heap. One On One is one of my favourite cheap trick albums, Faster than the speed of night was good too, but they murdered bright eyes ... can't even think of the name of it.... total eclipse of the heart, that's right ... Sold all my vinyl in 1999, I needed some guitars for a recording job .... oh well

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  7. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Awesome thread! :laugh:

Cachiva, pc-Ray and Suncola like this.
  8. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I bought a magazine just for the included flexi-disc. Still have it.

[​IMG]

9. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

During the last outbreak of foot and mouth disease in Scotland, the government banned all public access to agricultural land and other areas of wild land where sheep, deer and goats and things roam.

As I'm a hill-walker and hiker this meant being restricted to some urban and suburban walking routes.

So it was that one Saturday a friend and me found ourselves heading West to Bowling from Glasgow along the canal towpath. The canal wends its way through some less salubrious areas of the city and its satellite towns.

In a part of Clydebank (famous for shipbuilding and suffering grievously during the blitz) we found ourselves coming under artillery attack from the opposite bank, like a scene from Apocalypse Now.

A gang of NEDs (non-educated delinquents) had somehow got hold of a load of records and were lobbing them lethally in our direction.

Needless to say we scarpered sharpish.

So I've answered your thread fraudulently. I didn't pause to pick up any of the discs. But I could have done, and that would have qualified as an odd acquisition. Right ?

10. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

When I was in Eighth grade my dad took me to Jamesway to buy me an “all-in one” stereo that were popular in the early 80’s. I settled on an Emerson with a BSR changer, recordable 8-track, and cassette model. It was the last one. They sold my dad the floor model but never bothered to remove the record we were sampling which was album 1 of The Kinks “One for the Road” album.

So for the longest time all I have ever heard was that one album from the two album set.

11. rsulzinger

rsulzinger Forum Resident

Had someone house sit when I was on vacation, and when I came back home there were a bunch of records that weren't mine.
    I waited for them to ask for them back, but they never did.

12. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I was walking down the street in my neighborhood a few summers back and one of my neighbors pulled up to me in his van, rolled down the window, and asked me if I had a record player. I said I did. He said "Here, my friend was throwing this away," handed me a Kris Kristofferson album and drove away.

13. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

My college dorm had a Halloween party with prizes for various categories. I won the Worst Costume title.
    The prize was "any new album from the college bookstore." My choice was Bob Welch's "French Kiss" album.

14. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

When I was in primary school, the class bully asked me if I would draw him a picture of Woody from the Bay City Rollers, which, not wanting to get my head put down the school toilets, I agreed to. A few days later there was a knock at my door ( still no idea how he found out where I lived) and when I opened it he was standing there holding out Mott the Hoople's All the Young Dudes as payment. I was too scared to refuse, plus I'd been meaning to buy it with my pocket money anyway.

15. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

So you stole it? Or am I missing something?

Rad Dudeski and lightbulb like this.
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I was hoping to read a post wherein a bad breakup or separation leaves the dumped ex, in sorrow...
    But with a great collection of music (vinyl and/or CDs) left behind.

I guess such personal misfortune never, ever turns fortuitously advantageous for the abandoned music lover!
    :(

17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

And several Likes approved of the theft!

Either huge Grand Funk Railroad fans, or subtle social anarchists waiting to “stick it to the man”...

;)

18. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Bet Side 2 was spotless.

19. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I've gotten a couple from Atlantic Records that I didn't expect. Back in the early '70's I bought a copy of the Manassas LP and did not get the poster/lyrics that came with it.
    Since I liked getting all the extra goodies I wrote Atlantic asking if somehow I could get a copy and they sent me the entire album with everything. A couple years later I heard
    Zep's "Hey Hey What Can I Do" on the radio and really liked it. I had bought LZIII when it came out so I never bothered with the "Immigrant Song" 45 and thus wasn't familiar
    with "Hey Hey..." which was the B-side. By the time I finally heard it Presence was the current Zep LP out and this song I had just heard was not on it. So I wrote Atlantic again
    inquiring about it and they sent me the "Immigrant Song" / "Hey Hey What Can I Do" 45.

20. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Was walking back from the mall and taking a short cut thru a wooded area. My friend saw something laying in the snow...ended up being the Beatles 62-66. He didn't want it...so he gave it to me. The sleeve had water spots all over it and was slightly bent...but the records were fine. No clue how it ended up outside by itself.

21. mark winstanley

Nah, I think my ex got some she shouldn't have lol

lightbulb likes this.
  22. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Helped run the merch table for a local band recently and they gave me an LP, a CD, and a T-shirt. I think the LP was a reward for indulging in music rambling (Replacements and Who were the main topics). I'm not really a fan of the music, but the guys were great to talk with, it was a ton of fun, and I can never say no to free music! :agree:

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I thought that said C#NT for a second. I have a lot of Eno, but thought hmm I don't remember that song.. :sigh:

hi_watt, Farmer Mike and Fullbug like this.
  24. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

If you have "The Shutov Assembly", you have this track. It's "Lanzarote" with a different title.

hi_watt and BlueSpeedway like this.
  25. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Gifted a box of records as a kid when aunt joined a cult.
    off the curb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.