What is the oddest way you have acquired a record?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pc-Ray, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

A great album and a dry head too. Result!

2. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Several years ago, I found a Russian bootleg CD containing the first 2 Traveling Wilburys albums on a single disc, lying in the street — in perfect condition! I keep it in the car for long trips.

It sounds fine, though I've never checked the DR values. :tiphat:

3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I went on a course years ago in Reading. Spent most lunchtimes wandering round the record shops in town looking for a copy of the Hughes/Thrall album, which was as rare as hen's teeth by this point (pre-internet). About a year or so later, a copy appeared in the post; one of the guys on my course had found a copy, got my address from the course facilitators and forwarded it on to me.

Ironically, about 15 years later, we ended up working at the same place.

4. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

In the early 80’s I was desperate to get my hands on Ozzy Osbourne + Blizzard Of Oz Mr Crowley Live 12” single. I must have visited 5 local record shops to no avail. As a last attempt I popped into the Virgin Store in town. I asked the girl behind the counter if they had the aforementioned record. She gave the usual response of ‘sorry no we don’t’ but then told me she had a copy at home I could have for free!!! A day later she brought the record to the shop, handed it over and I went home a very happy teenager.

5. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Only the single I'm afraid, still, like you said, better that than a wet head.

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Did you get any of that vinyl?

melstapler likes this.
  7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Yes, I had asked the family and they said to just keep everything left in the house. She had spent most of her life working as a maid and had more records than anything else, not even a TV or computer. The old Sharp turntable she had was on it's last leg. Still have those records and even though I never knew that woman personally, you can't help but feel a connection when listening to each song.

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It was a gift from the Lord!

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Records found at school...

In 1979, while in 9th grade, I was poking around in the built-in cabinets of my junior high's music room and found this, which I took and still have:

[​IMG]

During 1981-82 I was involved with my high school's radio station, which "transmitted" during certain times over the school's intercom. The gear was located in the basement, in a room with semi-permanent walls that didn't reach all the way to the ceiling. One morning I unlocked the door and found a few dozen sleeveless 45s scattered on the floor that someone had tossed over the wall. There was some good stuff too, lots of '50s R&B and rock'n'roll, and I still have some of those records too.

10. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

I had one thrown at me once ( not in anger) managed to catch the edge of the sleeve, only to have the disk fall out.

Can't remember, unfortunately, what it was...

11. DockBoggs

DockBoggs Forum Resident

About 20 years ago, my brother-in-law found a pile of records at the landfill where he worked. Somehow they survived a trip in a trash truck and being dumped with other trash. He gave me an original numbered U.S. copy of The Beatles White Album that was well taken care of. It still had the poster and all 4 photos along withe the photo separator sheet. I still have it.

12. That's a pretty great Rock Record Collection Starter Kit right there.

13. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I got a Beatles record in exchange for a kidney and part of my liver.

14. All Down The Line

What the????

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I reckon you win ... I hope you like that Beatles record :)

Ms. Daisy likes this.
  16. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Found the Pixies' "Doolittle" in the trash can (sans jewel case) in my sixth-grade classroom circa 2000. No idea how it ended up there. Teacher was in her 50s and nobody in class was aware of that stuff except me (thanks to my hip older brother). Took it home and he put it up on the wall of our room with a pushpin since he already had a copy. :)

17. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I once fished out someone's discarded drink cup from the kitchen trash at work because it had a promotional 3" CD enclosed in the lid.

18. I once found a cassette copy of The Alan Parsons Project's Eye In The Sky in the gutter; it didn't have the plastic case, but the tape and J-card were in perfect shape. I took it home with an eye to perhaps selling it or giving it to someone as I hated the band at the time, but I think it's still in a drawer in my old desk at my parents' house, 35 years later.

hi_watt and Cachiva like this.
  19. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yeah, no kidding, I figured he was worth at least the Diament mastered Physical Grafitti, a double cd.
    But the kid was picking his nose at the time, and all I got was Hootie.....

20. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

I once went down to the crossroads and sold my soul to the devil in exchange for a Robert Johnson album.

21. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

They were trying to create ripples on the water

Lonecat likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

Upstream you would also likely have found "Smoke On The Water".

Lonecat likes this.
  23. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I watched the made-for-TV movie about Linda McCartney in 2000, which featured Georgie Fame's "Yeh Yeh". The next day, I found a box in my attic full of National Geographics from long before we moved into that house, and a solitary 45: Georgie Fame's "Yeh Yeh". Oooh!

Ms. Daisy, hi_watt, Aftermath and 4 others like this.
  24. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

In a record I picked up crate digging, Swedish I think, adds for short films from the 70s or so.

hi_watt and jeffd7030 like this.
  25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I have a similar story about an album purchase I made back in the 90's. May post it here, as it's probably is the oddest way I've acquired a record.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    EVOLVIST likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.