What is the rarest and/or most valuable records in your collection.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jatticus, Nov 10, 2019.

1. jatticus

jatticus i swear im not emo Thread Starter

What records are the rarest/most valuable in your collection?
    Mine would be my Clash give em enough rope with a cheap trick label on the b side (Idk how much it is worth but I can't find it anywhere online), my limited edition copy of parachutes by Frank Iero (only 2000 made), my signed soup dragons 12 inch single, or my really mint condition original copy of Jeopardy by the sound.

iggyd, TonyCzar, kt66brooklyn and 6 others like this.
  2. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

First state Butcher album!
    Stereo. Excellent condition
    Got it for @$1500 in the 1980s.
    Now it resides in a climate controlled storage unit!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  3. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I have the Beach Boys' "Surfin'"/"Luau" on Candix #301, with "Dist. By Era Records Sales" and "Audition Copy" on the label. Discogs has it for $375, but there is writing on my label, so mine is worth less than that.

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Not sure really...
    Got most of the Beach Boys original 60's pressings sealed.
    (and R2R tapes).
    A bunch of Johnny Cash 60's albums in sealed condition.
    I think the value has dropped though since the new vinyl revolution
    of being able to obtain new albums, and most in better quality than the originals.

Ha! The only one I have, that most Beach Boys fans hate, is the LP that commands ridiculous
    money on eBay: Summer in Paradise.

5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Ha Cool!
    Got one too! in great condition.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My BOTT One Step.

7. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I have a fully signed copy of the Flash Gordon soundtrack by Queen that I acquired back in the mid 1980's from Rick Barrett auctions.

ARod, TheHutt, pscreed and 9 others like this.
  8. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

My Link Wray Raw-Hide/Dixie Doodle issued on 78rpm, I don't think it was issued as a 78 in the States so there's likely fewer.

Valuable? I guess I get to set the price!

**(I'm not selling it)

*** mono & stereo Jack Scott on Carlton, who knows, placing value on things is funny. Somebody really wanted my "Highway To Hell" & it was totally worn out with muck spots.

9. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

10. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

I also have Bob Dylan ‘Self Portrait’ (1970) with the red ‘360 Sound’ label.

11. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Nice! I would get a fake reproduction to hang on the wall in place of the real thing in storage.

Dominator and fluffskul like this.
  12. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I have one of those too. I bought mine in the 80's at a regular used album price. Not my most valuable record, though.

13. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Checking Discogs and the usual suspects of my collection appear at the top: "The Beatles in Mono", "Big Star #1 Record" and "Led Zepplin II"; but what I am most amazed at is the appearance of "Shawn Phillips Collaboration" selling for $150.00! Had the pleasure of meeting this musician before his return to America from South Africa. Great guy!

14. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

Radiohead/The Bends - signed by (specifically) all five members, which apparently is what makes it rare.

15. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Self-titled Queens of the Stone Age debut LP on green vinyl.

16. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin Classic Records Road Box. I could probably put it up for sale for $10K. It would eventually sell. It ain't happening though. These just don't come up for sale very often.

Next up is a signed 30th Anniversary NOFX box signed by the band in Pink Vinyl.

After that I think a lot of us here can claim the 2014 Beatles Mono Box.
    I also have the 45rpm Robert Johnson Centennial Collection.

17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Most valuable is Frank Ocean - Blonde. Only available for one day through his website

Frank Ocean - Blond

I’m not sure about rarest. I have a lot of punk/indie/DIY records that only had a hundred or so pressed but most aren’t terribly sought after

18. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

The rarest & most valuable vinyl lp in my collection is a pristine copy of The Who’s original Japan ‘Sell Out’ lp. Most valuable single is probably a pristine copy of The Who’s ‘Armenia City In The Sky’ Japan ps single. Most valuable ep would be The Who’s Australian ‘Dance Session’ ep with rare yellow & black Festival label.

19. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I’m not really a collector, I have a number of rarities but nothing super-expensive or much collected by anyone.

For fun I have a sealed “tube” edition of Lulu by Lou Reed/Metallica. I’m going out on a limb but I think this will appreciate in value, haha. And I have a mint copy of the first commercially-available compact disc.

20. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

A copy of the triple disk EP, given away with an Elvis record player by RCA, an Elvis SPD-23 is the most expensive record I have bought in 2019. It’s amongst the finest copies in existence and to give you an idea on value, I bid about $2,000 more than I won it for because I wasn’t going to miss out on this copy.

21. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

It's not really rare per se, but it's not too cheap to find a used copy in great condition like I did. My, Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue, Mono, Columbia six eye pressing. I only paid 25 cents for it. The vinyl was still neatly wrapped in the original plastic sleeve. My copy looks excellent to near mint for both the cover and the record.

22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Among some of the first records I ever bought, one of John Frusciante's solo albums The Will To Death (2004) and an offshoot band also featuring Frusciante called Ataxia and their debut Automatic Writing from the same year. I bought first pressings of both when they came out, and they now fetch around $150 - 200 used.

snepts and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  23. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

An original Beatles Christmas Album sent to my sister from the fan club.
    It's mine now, but unfortunately in fair condition.

25. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

Herbie Hancock’s “Hear, O Israel: A Prayer Ceremony in Jazz”. Original pressing. I read that perhaps only a few hundred (although no one knows the exact number for sure) may have been made.

snepts, roverb, trebori and 2 others like this.