What is the rarest and/or most valuable records in your collection.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jatticus, Nov 10, 2019.

1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Probably my collection of Ram Dass albums, recorded in 1969. I never see these in the “Spoken Word” used bins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

I've got a promo copy of this with the title strips on the jacket but it's a second press! I thought, how could could a promo copy, which should be the earliest version of this title, not have the '360 Sound' discs? Oh well! :shrug:

BuyMeVinyl and Rickchick like this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I’m going to say my cherished vinyl album by@oldsurferdude :

oldsurferdude Sings His Favorite Mike Love Songs

Great album !

4. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Most Rare: Probably WLP mono Magic Bus, The Zombies - Odessey And Oracle on Date with the full color front cover or The Parable Of Arable Land by The Red Krayola
    Most Valuable: Probably either The Velvet Underground & Nico with ~50% of the banana, or my RL SS Zep II

Nothing too crazy, I do have a few LPs that were made for a certain organization's musical event, and I guess those would be more "rare" but I'm not counting those or limited RSD releases since those are by nature very limited on purpose.

5. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Hard to gauge which one:

I've seen from popsike auctions that my 45 of R & D Blues Band's "I Couldn't Have Made It Without You" on Rexius is pricey.
    For country collectors, "Jim Reeves Sings" on the Abbott label is a holy grail.
    I have a sealed copy of Woody Guthrie's "Songs to Grow On For Mother and Child", a 10-inch LP, Folkways FC 7015.
    Mono collectors on this forum have told me that my mono copy of the OST of "Hair", RCA LOC-1150 is almost unfindable.

SimonSaysCake and Greenalishi like this.
  6. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I have quite a few rarities but here are 2

Mark Hollis Solo record original 2003 pressing.... very very hard to find

The Beatles big A radio promo from 1976, less then a hundred of these would exist

ernie11 likes this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Probably my UK Mono Export on Decca of the Stones late 1966 LP Have You Seen Your Mother Live?
    More than 1 have achieved 3K on Popsike.

Next might be a French 71' EP stage cover around 1K.

Honourable mention for a withdrawn/demo 12 x 5 US Mono Sleeve with Export UK ffrr disc.

8. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Really sorry but your album is actually worth less than the original `Give `em enough rope`, this type of mis-press is very common, just means that there was a Cheap Trick label got into the labeling machine.

9. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

I have original brazilian first pressings from most of the classic late '60s/early '70s Tropicalia albums (early Caetano Veloso, Os Mutantes, Gilberto Gil, Tom Ze, Gal Costa). Most of the records and sleeves are in Ex/NM condition, which is pretty rare considering how brazilian folks back then were (mis)treating their records.

Oh yes, I also have The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn 1967 Columbia stereo first press, in VG++ condition (bought it in the '80s for $8 or something). Yowza!

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I have an original The Source REM Seattle 84 radio show.There are probably more of these around than people think.I just like the music so it`s valuable in my own mind.Ha Ha!

JuanTCB likes this.
  11. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Rarest is a 7" EP by comedian Michael Legge as merchandise for his 2017 Edinburgh show Jerk. I think he only pressed 200 copies.

Most valuable will certainly be something from the 90s - possibly Tom Petty's Wildflowers or Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie. Nothing particularly interesting, just pricey like most 90s vinyl is now.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  12. progmog

progmog Senior Member

The most valuable record that I own is an original UK Decca LP of 'Growers of Mushroom' by Leaf Hound. I wouldn't say it was the rarest, though (although it would be pretty hard to track one down, these days).

I would say that the rarest album that I own is a double-LP test pressing of Genesis 'Live'. It contains the entire 'Supper's Ready' suite from Leicester, which was missing from the official Genesis 'Live' LP. It also includes lengthy song announcements from Gabriel, which were missing from the official release, and is also mixed differently. There are only 16 known copies of this test pressing worldwide.

13. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

Comus - First utterance. Dawn first press
    All First press Hendrix Releases (mono and stereo where available) on track

14. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

Probably my 1996 test pressing of Tool - Aenima. Only 5 copies in existence.

Regular pressings of the album go for hundreds if not thousands, so god knows how much the test pressing is worth. One reportedly sold about 5 years ago for $7000 but it's not confirmed.

15. MyOwnWorstEnemy

MyOwnWorstEnemy Senior Member

According to Discogs selling prices it would be Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Betty's S.F. Blends Volume One

Aftermath and MisterNines like this.
  16. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Oops, forgot to mention one of my favorites, I have a 78 rpm of what is supposed to be Bill Haley's first appearance on vinyl: Bill Haley And The 4 Aces Of Western Swing ‎- "Too Many Parties And Too Many Pals / Four Leaf Clover Blues". Released in August 1948.

17. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Probably the only vinyl I have that has any value:

R.E.M. - 'Radio Free Europe'/'Sitting Still' on Hib-Tone records (1981)
    The Yardbirds - Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page on Epic records (1970)

ernie11 likes this.
  18. Rarest would be a 7" by a band called Velvet Underground (not The velvet underground)
    But this velvet underground had a guy by the name of Malcolm Young as a member pre AC/DC also had other members who went on to form the Doug Mulry gang.
    A friend of mine's uncle was the singer and they found the 7" in a box in his garage.

Most expensive is probably an original Australian blue roo Albert press of TNT.

4-2-7, bobbradley, Alf Panek and 5 others like this.
  19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Rarest is probably my White Label Promo Pink Floyd 45 single -- "It Would Be So Nice" b/w "Julia Dream"

or

My Beatles U.S. radio Promo Beatles "Penny Lane" b/w "Strawberry Fields Forever" 45 single with trumpet ending on Penny Lane (legit copy, not counterfeit)

Most Valuable -- maybe my Mono "Bookends" LP

But Most Valuable to me is my NM DCC "Aqualung" LP... autographed to me by Ian Anderson

Swansong, Dartman, petercl and 8 others like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Wil Malone - Wil Malone (Fontana 1970). It's claimed less than 30 copies are known to exist of this one.

Elvis Presley - Rock 'n' Roll No.2 (HMV UK LP 1957). Not available for very long before RCA started in the UK and it was deleted as Elvis records started to be released on RCA. All Elvis on UK HMV is rare, but this is the rarest. It has a unique sleeve that it flimsy and very easily damaged. Usually found with massive tears and chunks missing. Mine has an EX sleeve and a strong VG record.

Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (UK mono Decca). Complete with poster, uncensored inner sleeve and stickered front cover. Has unboxed Decca logo on label and excellent condition throughout.

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures - (UK 1979 Factory LP). The translucent red when held up to light pressing that many think is the first one, but there is some doubt about that. It sounds incredible though. I've never heard any other later issue come close.

I have a lot of other original LPs that are going up in value in excellent condition including original Beatles, Stones, The Who, Cream, psych era Status Quo, From Genesis To Revelation, Bowie (inc. laminated Hunky Dory), a lot of punk, post punk, early indie & 2 Tone. Loads of 45s too.

I still look for records a lot, but all the way through the 90s and early 2000s I'd look almost every day and go anywhere that potentially sold records. Cheap vinyl was everywhere then and I had more patience for looking through crap as great stuff was in with it very often. I still look around a lot, but there was a time I wouldn't pass a charity shop without going in, even if I'd been in earlier that day. Now I often walk past them, when I do go in I head straight for the CDs.

Not thinking of the value, just making impulse buys to listen to and own new to me music, eBay and Discogs have killed off most of the joy and intrigue of looking for interesting, rare and cheap vinyl. For all their benefits, I feel that they've taken my hobby away from me to a huge extent. Impulse or surprising finds on vinyl are almost non existent now.

21. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Not sure how much it would fetch, but the one worth most to me is an original '67 mono Epic (US) Little Games LP signed by all four Yardbirds.

Used to have an original Black Monk Time by the Monks, but my ex absconded with it during our divorce out of spite (she wasn't a fan of the band).

Aftermath, pscreed, Jon H. and 10 others like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd love an original Black Monk Time. Hope she didn't do anything stupid with it!

23. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

24. YardByrd

I don't wanna know, if you know what I mean... to exacerbate the situation, the LP had been the drummer, Roger's, before he gave it to me... it was only VG at best, but its origins made it priceless to me...

25. YardByrd

I have the Yardies LP signed by Dreja and McCarty...