What is the worst 'bad edit' in The Beatles original canon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pablo fanques, Feb 3, 2019.

1. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam Thread Starter

I'm looking at YOU 'Yer Blues', 'Please Please Me', 'This Boy', 'She Loves You', 'If I Fell' (stereo) just to name a few. Discuss...

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The ending chord of "Roll Over Beethoven" would have to be a candidate.

"She Loves You" is said to have a great many edits, but I've never found any to be particularly grating. I'm sure you can hear them better via headphones, but that's not a song I would tend to listen to that way.

3. pablo fanques

The one that's always stuck with me comes right after "Pride can hurt you too" and before "Apologize to her". Subsequent releases have attempted to repair it digitally but I can't unhear it. Oddly enough, Capitol's fake stereo Dexterized version on The Beatles Second Album hides it pretty well due to all the other sonic nonsense going on

4. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I vote for Roll Over Beethoven. It’s pretty bad. And wimpy.

5. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: When She Loves You goes from: "I Think It's Only Fair" to "Pride Can Hurt You Too," Ringo's ride cymbal suddenly becomes a lot more prominent.

6. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I'd vote She Loves You as the worst. The way it seems to 'click' at that point you mentioned from one high end setting to another is obvious and grating on good pressings, but as you say gets masked well on the fake stereo Dexterized versions, the best of which that I have heard is on the West German The Beatles' Beat 'stereo' press LP from 1969.

7. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

IF I FELL. - And I HOPE you see... bad decision to splice on a vowel sound of HOPE (after Paul fluffed the high note on IN VAIN). I noticed it the very first time I heard it in 1964. It’s never bothered me, but it fascinated me as a kid.

8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

:laugh:

Lewisboogie and pablo fanques like this.
  9. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

"TILL HE'S SEEN YOU CRY-IY-IY-I/this boy."

10. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I don't know if it's 'original canon' but 'Leave my kitten alone' after the guitar solo and before the last 'Mr Dog' is an edit that sound like someone hitting and releasing a pause button.

11. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

You've heard the 'not edit' version? John couldn't get from the high note to the low note quick enough..

12. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

No human could, I would say.
    (Not many, anyway.)

13. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

There came a time of course when "bad edits" became a tool and a positive feature - I Am The Walrus being the prime example. But I remember being astonished when I first read the Sessions book by Mark L, and seeing how many edits were made to the early tracks, and how seamlessly most of them had been done. But the thought crossed my mind, could they not play a song right through and just get it right? Easy for me to say of course, and these days such a task would be unknown, with pitch fixers and on-screen cut and paste jobs being the norm. But those early edited tracks are surely a triumph for Ringo's time-keeping, take after take at the same tempo. No click-tracks in those days!

14. pablo fanques

Yes! I believe it’s part of the same edit piece as “Pride can hurt you too” is cut in and jarring on both sides of it. Totally different timbre. It’s been my two year old’s favorite song since before she could talk so I’ve heard it more in the past year and a half than my previous 47. It’s basically why I started this thread in the first place!

MisterNines and gregorya like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I dislike that Spector edited off the "All I want is" refrain at the start and end of "Dig A Pony".

16. pablo fanques

Well, I used the phrase ‘original canon’ due to the recent fixes on ‘Yer Blues’ etc but of course they somehow managed to create NEW ones like the inexplicable piano note in ‘The Ballad of John & Yoko’ and a White Album remix or three. But yes, ‘Leave My Kitten Alone’ absolutely qualifies

snitzerland likes this.
  17. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I respectfully disagree. I think Phil’s edit improves the song. That “all I want” bit is clunky sounding. The song is better for it, this edit.

18. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Yet they didn't put it back on Naked.

19. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Isn`t there a clunky edit in "Baby You`re a Rich Man"?

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't know if it's an edit, but the end of the stereo Please Please Me is horrible.

Andrew, Exotiki, goodiesguy and 7 others like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I Call Your Name, stereo intro after first vocal phrase. Excruciatingly bad. Even loses time.

Keith V, jjm905, furmanu and 17 others like this.
  22. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I Saw Her Standing There- right before the solo

MisterNines and pablo fanques like this.
  23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Apparently at George's request as he disliked the thin sound he and Paul made. John should have just overdubbed a third voice and all would have been well. But "No Tracking!"

24. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The evolution of the razor blade in recording studios:

1960's

[​IMG]

1970's

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  25. Onder

Onder Senior Member

John does sing the "All I Want..." part during the outro though and that bit wasn't used either.

Ondra