What is the worst 'bad edit' in The Beatles original canon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pablo fanques, Feb 3, 2019.

1. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Steve, do you have any knowledge on whether or not Revolution 1 has a splice error? I grew up thinking the Beatles had added the extra note, or beat, whatever, but then heard it was actually an incorrect splice. Lennon apparently liked the mistake is what I'd heard and they left it in. It occurs at about the 3:24 mark.

Ken Wood likes this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Geoff Emerick also points out a couple other unique features to this mix, both of which were at Lennon's suggestion. “There were two quirks that characterized that mix. One was an accidental bad edit in the last chorus, which Lennon insisted I leave in; it added an extra beat, and he always loved weird time signatures, so it was deemed a creative accident and it became part of the song." This mistake was actually then repeated at John's request, there being two extra beats on the released record.

"Revolution 1" song by The Beatles. The in-depth story behind the songs of The Beatles. Recording History. Songwriting History. Song Structure and Style.

You can hear the original take on the deluxe White Album and there are no extra beats there so yes it was created in editing.

3. JamesD1957

Thanks. That reinforces what I've heard even though it originally disappointed me that it wasn't something that the Beatles "composed". :)

4. Onder

Onder Senior Member

It has been explained earlier by Laservampire. See below...

Laservampire and jmxw like this.
  5. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

from fast fading memory without digging out my records and Beatle books

Please Please Me - stereo version, at the end John and Paul sing different lines, plus an out of time harmonica is badly edited on (I think John goes wrong lyrically - he often did on HIS own lyrics !)

the mono version has been corrected but the error and bad edit remains in stereo (well on vinyl copies of the sixties and seventies at least - they might have corrected it now)

Chains - an odd sound like some kind of tape malfunction causing a 'speeded up' chipmunk like vocal sound can be briefly heard just before George sings 'Please believe me when I tell you...'

I'll Get You - something odd in the vocal bridge section where instead of 'I'm gonna change your mind' John (on one track at least) appears to sing 'I'm gonna MANGE your mind' ! lol

Thank You Girl - I have read they couldn't get a complete take of it without something going wrong so after umpteen attempts at it George Martin made up a composite of the best bits of various break down takes to form one complete faultless performance - it sounds fine to me tho' bits do sound rather 'abrupt' as if put together

I Should Have Known Better - in stereo John's harmonica suddenly vanishes during the intro then reappears - also a 'clunk' can be heard twice on headphones during that portion suggesting a quick early edit
    - in mono I think it's fine

If I Fell - the famous Paul 'cracks up' high vocal part literally 'was in vain' (!) in stereo but note it's been corrected in the mono version

Slow Down - again John seems to sing two differing lyrics at the word 'boyfriend' during the passage; 'Now you've got a boyfriend down the street...' again on one track only

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  6. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Yeah, that's kind of annoying. Also kind of odd that they pan Paul hard right on the verses, but then bring his vocals to the center of the mix during the chorus. I suppose that is because the vocals are double tracked during the chorus (panned hard left & right) and only single tracked during the verses (panned hard right). Still...

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Most of your examples are not edits but simple performance mistakes.

8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

On "Please Please Me", it isn't a case of the mono mix being corrected, it's that they overdubbed the harmonica part while bouncing the mix down to mono. Thus, they had to sync up the mono version with the stereo for the opening and closing harmonica section to create the stereo mix; the mono had edits from more than one take, while the stereo was all one take. This is why Lennon messes up the lyrics on the stereo version, then laughs on the first "come on" on the final chorus - because that part is a rejected section from a different take.

On "Chains", it sounds to me like someone talking.

"I'll Get You" sounds to me like one guy singing "I'm gonna change your mind" while another sings "I'm gonna make you mine".

On "Slow Down", John sings "But now you've got a boyfriend down the street" on one track and "But now you don't care a dime for me" on the other track.

MisterNines, nikh33, Onder and 2 others like this.
  9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Not sure if this is considered an edit, per se, but it's a change...The sped up mono version of "Don't Pass Me By" that makes Ringo sound like a chipmunk. Not a good decision.

Dodoz likes this.
  10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Not an edit for sure, but there is different fiddle on it.

beatleroadie likes this.
  11. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

The mistakes on "Please Please Me", "I Should Have Known Better", "Day Tripper" and "If I Fell" are all easily correctable, even in the days of tape splices, by taking a piece from another part of the song and editing it in where the error is.

12. JamesD1957

Thanks, but I don't accept that as the correct answer. Another poster has linked an article by Geoff Emerick that I have more faith in. Thanks though.

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Not too easy for "Please Please Me" since the harmonica was mixed down onto the mono version, which was a composite of more than one take.

14. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

That part would be difficult, but the flubbed line could be fixed.

Drifter likes this.
  15. tages

tages Senior Member

I don’t hear any “bad edits”, just great engineering and producing and the greatest song book of the 20th century - I’m still amazed at how proficient those technicians were with those scissors back then.

So even the bad edits are good to me! :righton:

dzjc, Hombre, YardByrd and 3 others like this.
  16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What's it called when something is sped up or slowed down...not an edit...but...an alteration? Tape manipulation? Maybe that's a different thread/question...

17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah, but nobody listens to stereo, so why bother..? :cool:

TimeWarper and pablo fanques like this.
  18. JamesD1957

Please disregard my last response to you. I can be a bit daft at times. I now see what the issue is. Yes it was a bad edit, and yes it was left in at Lennon's request. But what is on the actual RECORD is something that they created on purpose, and so doesn't actually qualify as a bad edit. Just a son of a bad edit. I think I'm feeling better now...….

Lost In The Flood and Onder like this.
  19. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

All good mate, glad it's clarified :)

Onder and JamesD1957 like this.
  20. olsen

olsen Senior Member

It’s just a tape punch in, ostensibly to get the note, but the tape squeaks on it

21. olsen

olsen Senior Member

It’s a bit of creativity at the mixing stage. Not the same as an error. There’s a lot of that in Beatleland

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. JamesD1957

Yeah, keep reading! :D

23. sfligio

sfligio Forum Resident

I don't know if it's a bad edit or a performance mistake, but I hate the start of the guitar at second 3 on "Money"

24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

What's the issue, guitar's a split second behind?

25. sfligio

sfligio Forum Resident

Yes, I cant' explain why but since ever for me it's the most annoying thing heard on a beatles' record (I really don't know if it's a bad edit or a performance mistake)