What is the worst 'bad edit' in The Beatles original canon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pablo fanques, Feb 3, 2019.

1. dude

dude Senior Member

Exactly. It's not noticeable on the 2009 mono at all if it's not already there in your head from the previous digital versions. The worst comes from the EP cd collection box. Original vinyl does not have it.

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I can hear them on my 63 danish pressing.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  3. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam Thread Starter

Is there any way to find out how many times 'She Loves You' was "re-mastered" since 1963? Maybe re-pressed is a more appropriate term. It would be fascinating to actually chart the physical deterioration of the edit pieces until the first digital pressings in 1988 and subsequent digital fixes on the 2009 remasters and 1+, though I'm not certain what the differences between the last two would be

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The first "drop-out" is to cover a bad punch-in, the second is because John sings an extra "yeah" where he's not supposed to. "Day tripper [yeah]/ Day tripper, yeah."

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

for me: She Loves You...

goodiesguy and pablo fanques like this.
  6. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

A thought just came to me: the regular version of "It's All Too Much" was well edited, seeing that quite a bit was chopped out of it. The brief version that we got on the 1999 DVD (with some of the material edited from the regular version used to make up some of the DVD track) was not so well edited.

pantofis and pablo fanques like this.
  7. AdmiralHarrimanNelson

AdmiralHarrimanNelson Forum Resident

On "Do You Want To Know A Secret", during the fadeout, there is a noticeable "BLATT" sound that does not sound like a guitar, bass, or drums. Any ideas?

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. pablo fanques

Credit where due: They did an excellent job with 'Don't Let Me Down'. It's the current fave of my soon to be 2 year old and she has the released version down so well that when she watches the rooftop concert (daily...HER request) she always looks at me when John flubs his lines as it it's MY fault!

9. pablo fanques

I think so, primarily because you're hearing it in two separate channels. I don't know if the source differs from what ultimately became the mono and stereo releases but it's definitely less jarring in mono

DennisF likes this.
  10. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

That's really out of sync, a bit surprising for a song they had performed in clubs for a while. The second "there" also sounds like "yeah".

Drifter likes this.
  11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I refuse to read this thread because, if I did, I'd know where the bad edits are and they would bug me every time I hear them!

I will say the worst Beatles or Beatles solo edit I know of is on "Working Class Hero", where John's guitar tone changes so much at one point it sounds like it was recorded in a different studio or in a different key or something.

pantofis, Man at C&A, Jerquee and 3 others like this.
  12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I'm listening to the 45 right now and I hear it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

[QUOTE="john lennonist, post: 20730123, member: 2763"I will say the worst Beatles or Beatles solo edit I know of is on "Working Class Hero", where John's guitar tone changes so much at one point it sounds like it was recorded in a different studio or in a different key or something.[/QUOTE]

That one never bothered me. A guitarist can change tone just by picking differently, and having never given it much thought, I assumed that's what was going on here. I guess you're right that it's an edit of two different performances, but it sounds musically plausible to me.

But another key??? No way.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    thrivingonariff likes this.
  14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

That would be "Strawberry Fields Forever" :D

All kidding aside, I find it miraculous that they were able to make two takes in different tempos and keys match so well...

15. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

Oh it’s very apparent on the 09 set too. Especially if you’ve got editor’s ears.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

It's a miracle!

linklinc11 and Dodoz like this.
  17. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

What is the worst 'bad edit' in The Beatles original canon?
    The way Pete Best was edited from the band.

MitchLT likes this.
  18. pablo fanques

They dubbed him back in for the Anthology Series though ;)

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Going by memory, and as a rhythm guitarist for 41 years, I definitely say a sloppy guitar chord.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  20. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

I believe it's two different guitars.

21. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Did anyone mention "Yellow Submarine"?

Right at the beginning, there's an odd noise when Ringo starts. Used to think it odd.

Now, of course, we all know the version with the poem intro, but they clearly chopped it off for the original single/Revolver version.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Agreed. I can argue about a lot of Spector’s work on that album, but musically this was the right call. I get what they were trying to do with the intro, but it just didn’t work.

CassetteDek, Bern and pablo fanques like this.
  23. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I'm in two minds. Probably because I've played the "Get Back" boot more than the proper version, it seems wrong without it. I get that Lennon's first "I" is wobbly, but.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. pablo fanques

Upon learning of Doris Day's Passing yesterday I couldn't get 'Dig It' out of my head. There isn't a bad edit IN the song per see but there's enough meat in that jam that it could have easily been released way longer than the :51 seconds Spector chopped it down to. Sure it's not 'A Day in The Life' but it captures the fun side of those sessions expertly. And don't even get me started on Let it Be Naked omitting it entirely...

Dodoz likes this.
  25. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I find just about all the Beatles edits to be either highly ignorable and/or charming. They're like a little window into the studio process, and they can lend an air of "not of this world" to the records. Most of them are very skillfully done, considering the technology of the day - they tried hard to keep the rhythm steady and constant so your tapping toe would not stub.