What is the worst film you have ever seen? (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Alan, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I liked Carrell in Anchorman.

"I ate a big red candle!"

2. tob

tob Forum Resident

"Penn & Teller Get Killed"

Love them, but forced myself to sit through 'til the end.

Saw it in a theater when it was originally released.

--tob

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

C'mon, you must of seen a different 40 year old virgin. There's quite a lot of them these days...:laugh: That's the best thing I've seen him in but I don't rate it highly. He's yet to win me over as a fan.

4. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Repo! The Genetic Opera....and I've rewatched Andy Milligan films.

5. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Interesting, I've seen the film many times and never came away with anything close to that interpretation.

6. csblue

csblue Forum Resident

"Mama Mia" ... pretensious, forced acting, actors too old for parts, very bad singing for a musical movie, the worst writing and directing imaginable. Unbelievably bad !!!

7. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, I find that more than a little off base, that I have "misinterpreted" the film because of my "emotions". I don't think so. I think I am seeing it more clearly than some other viewers.

We don't have to agree. I don't want to convert you to my point of view. There are different ways to interpret a work of art.

Here is an analogy I think may be appropriate. If there was a historical drama about the Turkish attacks on the Armenians, early in the 20th century, I might view it as mildly diverting, an interesting explanation of something I don't know a great deal about. An Armenian who had relatives killed at that time might find the film offensive--not because he was emotional, but because he knew a lot about the situation and knew how it was being portrayed with an ideological slant, while attempting to appear even handed.

I think it would be inappropriate for me to tell the Armenian that he was wrong, that he misunderstood the director's intent, and that he should get over it because the film is a work of art.

8. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes, that was a stinker. On some level it was comforting to see that there is something that Pierce Brosnan can't do at all--sing. Too bad that the film depended on his singing ability. Couldn't they have overdubbed someone who can sing, as in "My Fair Lady?"

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think it's harder to get away with that now than it was 50 years ago. Imagine the stink if the news got out that Brosnan and/or others were dubbed - it'd be a mess!

But the movie would be awful even with stellar vocals. I wouldn't blame its failure on poor singing - it flops on a variety of levels...

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

11. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

If anyone who has worked on movie sets can answer this one -

Do folks ever realise whilst filming is going on that they have landed in a big stinker of a movie and does that permeate through the rest of the shoot?

Or dont they realise till after its edited and premiered?

13. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Lynching offense

You'd better skip "Inland Empire" then...

14. I thought "Transformers 2" was pretty bad...worst movie well for a major Hollywood movie it was pretty BAD.

15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I can add another to the list... "Juarez Mexico", it's just a mess. Bad acting, bad directing, bad music, it just sucks.:thumbsdn::thumbsdn::

There is a good one about the same thing called "Bordertown" with Jennifer Lopez. I don't know how many of you are aware of what's going on down there but it's horrible. Hundreds of young girls are being murdered in this border town.
    Here is a brief description:

Jennifer Lopez reunites with SELENA director Gregory Nava for this socially conscious thriller based on real-life events. Lopez (EL CANTANTE) plays Lauren Fredericks, an American journalist who investigates ... Full Description of the deaths of women in the Mexican town of Juarez. These women work in factories owned by American businesses, but their murders are hidden by the authorities in the town. When Lauren meets a survivor named Eva, she reunites with old friend Diaz Alfonso (Antonio Banderas) in an effort to keep the woman safe and tell her story to the world. Martin Sheen (THE WEST WING) costars as Lauren's boss, the editor of the Chicago Sentinel. Like BABEL and TRADE, this timely drama exposes the dark nature of life on both sides of the Mexican-American border.

16. Me, too.

I think it's weird, disjointed and an example of a "student" film stretched to feature length but I never took it that way.

I will admit though that when Jack Nance was our apartment manager in Los Angeles and I asked him about the movie he didn't quite understand it either.

Regarding the original posters take on the film--We all bring our experiences to films and if often colors how we see the film --a director can have one intention with his or her film and others can see it differently. I can think of many films where viewers and critics attacked a film for one thing not realizing that wasn't the intent of the director at all. Time gives us a bit of distance that can sometimes allow us to see things a bit differently and sometimes not.

A director can only control what his intent was in making something just like a child though he often can't control the way in interacts with the real world--all he or she can do is hope that it's seen in the same light as he or she made it. I sincerely doubt based on what I know about Lynch (and what Jack told me about him, his beliefs, etc) that was the type of film he wanted to make.

You're also assuming that the "message" you've interpreted was what the director "believes"; that's not necessarily the case at all.

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I thought he was hilarious in "Bruce Almighty".

18. I also think that he's great in "The Office" and he was one of the few highlights in "Get Smart".

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Hills Are Alive!

And then there's that noise that Pierce Brosnan makes!!!

20. Death Proof was awful and was the reason I did not give Inglorious Basterds a chance. How the same director can make a movie as good as Jackie Brown and as bad as Death Proof is just beyond my understanding.

21. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

100% total agreement!

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Nick, I too HATED Death Proof. It's strange how much I like the films that influenced Grindhouse but I didn't like either Rodriguez' or Tarantino's vision.

At any rate, don't let Death Proof dissuade you from seeing Inglorious Basterds. He completely redeemed himself. It may be Tarantino's best film.

23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"the weather man" with nicholas cage

24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Anything with Nicolas Cage, he's in the Steve Carrell category IMHO.

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm not saying this is the worst movie I've seen but Bill Murray in Broken Flowers was a let down....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.