What is the worst film you have ever seen? (Pt. 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I would suggest that, like most religious movies, these films are often made with a message in mind instead of with a good story to tell. It's not as bad as it was in years past, but it's still an issue.

Dudley Morris and The7thStranger like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Pearl Harbor very quickly came to mind.

smilin ed likes this.
  3. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

True. Movies like Heaven is For Real and the Left Behind series literally preach to the converted, with basically zero to offer anyone else.

McLover likes this.
  4. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

My wife and I have enjoyed every episode of MST3K we've seen (almost all of them) except for the Season 3 episode of Mighty Jack. That was so brutal we haven't been able to watch the earlier KTMA ("Season Zero") version. I'll admit that I use the term "enjoyed" loosely in regards to several other episodes. :)

5. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

Christopher Columbus: The Discovery. This was not the one with Gerard Depardieu (which I've never seen), this was the other one with Tom Selleck as the King of Spain (!?!) and Marlon Brando giving the worst performance of his career. Historical inaccuracies all over the place in an effort to spice things up, but it was still terrible.

[​IMG]

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

The difference for Blair Witch 2 ElectricBoogaloo was that the first one was at the time a pretty original of an idea, the marketing was interesting, they made a great myth and fun movie experience. The follow up was a cheap horror film that was the exact opposite type of horror movie the first one was, and it wasn't even good at it.

7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I saw it too, and I had the same reaction. I think a factor is that I saw it decades after its original release, and it is likely that much of what made the movie so great has become common place now.

I enjoyed Eight Crazy Nights. Being in animated form toned Sandler down a bit and I liked the subdued animation style used. It was much better than the few other Sandler movies I've seen.

Dune left me confused at bit since I haven't read the book, but I suspect that it was too much story for one movie...or two...or three. I saw Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band at the theater before becoming familiar with the music of The Beatles (with many of the song it was the first time I remember hearing them), and while the movie wasn't great I didn't hate the movie either.

I disagree about Star Trek. I thought it was a good reboot of the series, something that was needed to open things up a bit. I liked changes they made to the canon to take the series in its own direction. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the sequel near as much.

For my own nomination for worst movie: The Last American Virgin. I watch the movie for 1 hour and disliked it so much that I left because I could stand no more. To date it is the only movie that I've walked out on (usually I stay until the credits end and the lights come up).

8. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Exactly. It's all pander and no substance.

Donniej likes this.
  9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Ouch, that was godawful, even more so coming in on the heels, IIRC, genuine masterpieces like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and THIN RED LINE.

PEARL HARBOR looked like a catalog shoot of a clothing retailer who was using a Greatest Generation theme to sell overpriced goods -- everyone's hair, makeup and clothing was impossibly perfect -- interspersed with the cutaway scenes of an early First Person Shooter for "action."

I ended up having to watch it twice (!) and still couldn't tell you a thing about any of it without referring to IMDb, except that Cuba Gooding, Jr. was in it, I think.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Caddyshack II

11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Liquid Sky
    Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
    Red Dawn

All from 1983, a banner year for cinematic awfulness.

12. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Funny that "Pearl Harbor" comes up. Just a few nights ago I fell asleep with the TV on, and when I woke up a few hours later, that movie was playing on whatever channel I'd left on. I remember briefly thinking "Oh yeah. Pearl Harbor. Crap movie, but damn, Liv Tyler was hot." (she happened to be on screen at the time.)

...then I rolled over and went back to sleep :D

13. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Hope your dream was good.

keefer1970 likes this.
  14. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

See post #91.
    Did you see this in a theater? I have never watched even 5 minutes on TV rerun.

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

All these years later, Best Defense still stands out as a terrible film. That's the Dudley Moore movie that they later decided to add Eddie Murphy who had just started his movie career. The two plots have little to do with each other.

16. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

The Matrix , I am Legend & Smoking Aces stank .

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As a film, "Speed 2" is bad enough, but I'll always hold it in particular contempt because it's the first movie I ever saw that gave me motion sickness! :hurl:

18. Oatsdad

Given that I didn't invest in the characters in the long version, the short one can't do much damage there! :D

19. Oatsdad

You also think "Citizen Kane" is literally the worst movie you've ever seen?

20. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Rented, granted I wasn't expecting that much from it but my expectations were still too high. :)

cgw likes this.
  21. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

The more I think about it, the more I think Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice wins this award.

22. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

My expectations for Dune were high because the book is great. It coulda/shoulda been a Lawrence of Arabia like epic.
    I saw Sgt Peppers right in the hieght of my teenage discovering the Beatles phase.

I'm not big on Sandler, Ferrell, or Ben Stiller. I don't know if I have actually seen any of them in a theater. I did see Pixels last year (DVD) which was not unwatchable but could have been a lot better. The only Ferrell movie I liked is Stranger than Fiction for which I am pretty sure the director held a gun to his head and told him "don't try to be funny".

Star Trek was not bad. It was just so over the top. I was worried that the new Star Wars would be similar. It was in a couple places but otherwise was much better done.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I don't understand ...looking at some of the godawful titles here, how anyone even chose such crap to watch in the first place ?

The tired line of " you must not see many movies " always gets used in threads like this, here's a thought :
    How about, some of us have always been choosy about what we watch, before we watch it.
    Reviews and word-of-mouth before buying a theater ticket. (1960s-)
    Actually taking the time to read the VHS box before renting ( 1982 - )
    Reviews and word-of-mouth before buying a DVD, or Blu ray (2003 -)
    Sure, a stinker might still get through, but why in the hell would I make a point of remembering it ???? Most normal people tend to forget the bad experiences, and move on with their lives. The oldest memories usually become the rosiest.

This is the second time in as many days this strange behavior ( IMO) has come up. The last being the fact that I had never heard of a genre known as " rape revenge films." Why would I want to have such repulsive garbage in my head ? Then titles were listed, and it became clear...they were all titles I've considered as trash, and went on past !
    Therefore, it's not " haven't seen many films," it's a matter of the titles I have seen.
    The title of the thread is Worst Movie YOU Have Ever Seen.

Gumboo and Tree of Life like this.
  24. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

Eat Pray Love easily

25. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

Eat Pray Love. Gave me such a huge headache and it felt so damn long. Don't ask what a middle aged man was doing watching that film to begin with...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.