What is the Yamaha sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vignus, Jul 16, 2022.

1. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Dry cold midrange, unrefined trebles.

Paired with the right speakers, it make make those speakers sound their best.

Jazzabana and danielbravo like this.
  2. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

That depends on which models you’re comparing.

Having owned examples of both their entry level and upper tier 2ch amps - the A-S801 and A-S2200 respectively - the “Yamaha sound” means different things depending on model.

The lower tier amps (A-S801 and below) sound neutral, balanced and inoffensive - they’ll likely fit into many systems just fine. They colour inside the lines.

The upper tier amps (A-S1200 and above) sound lush, colourful, lively and engaging… I wouldn’t go so far as to say “warm” but they’re definitely not as “grey” as the entry level amps. There’s richness and colour to their tone and definitely not a case of “the same, only better”… they’re quite a different proposition and in my view more considered system matching may be required.

Having said that… I recently heard the range topping A-S3200 integrated in a demo room, and while it shares many common traits with my A-S2200 it sounded fractionally cleaner to me… not quite as lush or rich. But we’re talking single digit percentages difference here and I didn’t hear it in my own system… that was just my take away impression after a brief listen.

What I’m getting at is - as I said above - the “Yamaha sound” means different things depending on which Yamaha you’re asking about.

3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

The Yamaha sound is something that must be whispered to your ears for you to find out.

Ilusndweller and danielbravo like this.
  4. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I find Yamaha's integrated amps to sound realistic. There's a believability to the music they provide. My 801 sounds clear, spry, and confident. My 3200 sounds limitless, fluid, and holographic. Instruments pop up all over the room with the 3200 at the helm. Bass has tone and heart, midband is palpable and savory, and the treble is impressively delicate and spacious.
    Yamaha's tone controls are very effective without being offensive. They're automatically bypassed when you don't use them and do a fine job of tailoring the sound when you do implement them. I found the loudness dial on the 801 indispensable for late night EQ.

Icethorn, cnolanh, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  5. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist Thread Starter

I read that the bass is more "controlled". What does that mean, less bass?

Kjasonl likes this.
  6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Yamaha isn't kidding when they call their amps "natural sounding". I don't know how their stuff would compare to Cambridge, but I certainly think that they make some of the more musical sounding electronics of all of the mass-market Japanese manufacturers.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  7. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Not less bass. Enunciation. The ability to express tonal shifts in low frequencies.

cnolanh and TarnishedEars like this.
  8. Vignus

This would be really interesting for me, as I've used Cambridge for years. Anyone has compared them?

9. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

As others have said the sound depends on the model. The higher-end amps are a different kettle of fish to some degree. What they all have in common across the range is an uncanny way with vocals and acoustic music.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

You don't understand what marketing/advertising is? o_O

11. Vignus

I do, but I heard the term more from users then from marketing, so I figured there has to be something there

bluemooze and Snargfarg like this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Understood. There's a thread on the more expensive Yamaha integrated amps where the owners seem to be pretty consistent in their praise. I have an AS-501 that sounds great with my Focal speakers.

13. ondrej

ondrej Forum Resident

If there is a Yahama sound (which is not necessarily present in all Yamaha gear) I do think the acoustic priorities of their musical instruments are instructive. Like Yamaha pianos, the Yamaha amps I’ve had (both of 80s vintage) seemed to articulate the individual notes; give them edges. I would say that they can sound like “less” music (until your ears adjust) because the music often sounds more definite.

If I’m not mistaken, the company began in the 19th century as a manufacturer of tuning forks. (Their logo remains a circle of tuning forks.) That resonates with my experience of Yamaha gear. Precisely tuned, articulated frequencies.

bluemooze, Ilusndweller and Aftermath like this.
  14. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Like this? @ 1:10

bluemooze and KeninDC like this.
  15. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I visited their headquarters in Japan back in the early 2000s. As you may know, they have a unique position in the industry because they are also one of the largest manufacturers of all kinds of musical instruments. One of the things that was mentioned to me was that they were taking significant steps to have buy-ins/feedback from their musical instruments division before they released hifi products.

I think this is a great effort because sizeable companies can become very disjointed over time.

16. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

I've thought of Yamaha (RX-V781) as on the bright side. I'm now using a Yamaha A2A that sounds about right and not too bright. (Both with Infinity Reference series).

17. ondrej

ondrej Forum Resident

That’s fascinating!

Kjasonl and Aftermath like this.
  18. Jazzabana

Jazzabana Qobuz all the way

Having owned 801 and 2100, I can say tone control is good but more prominent in smallish spaces. In a 5mx5m room for example.
    Yamaha sound is wholesome with not so much body and neutral to bright sounding. Dac on 801 was pretty good though.
    I would call the layers of music rather sheers than curtains on a yamaha amp.

Kjasonl likes this.
  19. Jazzabana

No, it means more grip, precision and no bloating. So no boom boom more ta ta ta ta ta ta ta.

20. Vignus

I get the boom boom, not so much the ta ta ta! Can you elaborate on it?

21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Frankly, I do not think Yamaha has a signature sound over the years.

KeninDC likes this.
  22. radioalien

radioalien We came in peace for all mankind

Very flat and not gimmicky

cnolanh and Kjasonl like this.
  23. Kjasonl

Kjasonl " I'm on a low budget"

Different product. I rode one of their Banshees. Fastest machine I've ever ridden. 0-80 mph real quick

Ilusndweller likes this.
  24. Jazzabana

Shorter and more precise decays of bottom frequencies and agile not heavy.

Nar65co, ether-bored and Ilusndweller like this.
  25. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

That gave me a chuckle. I bought a Sony STR-DH190 (perfectly decent sound) last year and quickly replaced it with a Yamaha A-S301. Mostly because I hated the godawful plastic feeling volume knob. Soundwise the A-S301 is indeed a Sony done right.

bluemooze, Adam9 and Kjasonl like this.