What Is/Was Your Favorite Sitcom?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stever, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

I think my favorite will always be Taxi, but other favorites are:
    -M*A*S*H
    -The Honeymooners
    -Night Court (not counting the last two seasons)
    -Frasier
    -All in the Family

IMO, great sitcoms only come along once in a great while, but it's certainly not for lack of trying. It all comes down to great writing.

Everybody Loves Raymond and Will & Grace are two recent sitcoms that pass the test.

So what sitcoms can/could bring tears of laughter to your eyes?

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'd pick:
    Bob Newhart
    Barney Miller
    two great shows that quit while still at their peak, writing wise.

MASH (first five seasons only). It got really awful toward the end especially.

The Simpsons (first six seasons only). Another which has overstayed its welcome.

Fawlty Towers is probably the best sitcom ever.

3. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Barney Miller is about the top of my list. Anybody remember "Lotsa Luck" with Dom DeLuise? It was on in the early 70's for about 6 months. The basic story was about a custodian with a family who freeloaded off him. There was an especially obnoxious brother in law. Probably never see it again. Another favorite was WKRP in Cincinnati.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Here comes one of my lists:

All In The Family
    M*A*S*H
    Three's Company
    Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
    Dennis The Menace
    Gilligan's Island
    Brady Bunch
    Good Times
    Sanford & Son
    Barney Miller
    Family Ties
    Married With Children
    Odd Couple
    Love, American Style
    I Love Lucy
    Partridge Family
    Different Strokes
    Welcome Back Kotter
    WKRP In Cincanatti
    The Flintstones

Clearly, I am a child of the 60s and 70s.

5. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Get A Life

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Virtually impossible for me...
    Here's mine...all dear to me.
    The Munsters
    The Addams Family
    Green Acres
    Beverly Hillbillies
    My Favorite Martian
    Andy Griffith
    Top Cat
    The Honeymooners
    I Married Joan
    Petticoat Junction
    The Danny Thomas Show
    Car 54, Where Are You?
    Gilligan's Island
    Leave It To Beaver
    All In The Family
    Good Times
    Sanford And Son
    Married With Children
    The Odd Couple
    Flintstones
    Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
    Gomer Pyle
    Dennis The Menence
    I Love Lucy
    It's About Time
    Get A life
    The Real McCoys
    My Little Margie

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

On the other side of the pond...
    Fawlty Towers
    Monty Pythons Flying Circus
    Mr. Bean

8. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

A few more from this side of the water

Black Adder (in all its forms)
    Red Dwarf (early series)
    Steptoe and Son
    Dads Army
    It Ain't half hot mum
    Father Ted
    Porridge
    The Young Ones

All the best - Andrew

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

How many of my American friends are familiar with the English sitcom on which All In The Family was based:

'Till Death Us Do Part, starring Warren Mitchell. The Kinks did the theme song for the Movie version.

Without Alf Garnett, there would have been no Archie Bunker!

I'll vote for Fawlty Towers I guess.

Michael, I don't think Monty Python is a sitcom.......but hey, that's OK, my ex-girlfriend's father once said of Monty Python:

"I think he's very funny".

10. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

...and by the way, which ones Pink ? :D :laugh: :laugh:

&ru

11. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Just discovered this recently and agree that it is one of the greatest!

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Not many, but WKRP stands out as a big favorite. I know a sitcom is good when I quote lines from it--"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

Perfect Strangers also cracked me up, since there was a lot of slapstick. The karate episode brought back all those great memories of the Clouseau/Kato encounters. ;)

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Get Smart & WKRP are probably my top two! I even quote lines from the show in 'real life'...

G

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

SEINFELD, THE SIMPSONS, CHEERS, TAXI: everyone liked these, although I didn't get around to SEINFELD until it was syndicated.

For short-lived series, I enjoyed THE PJS, GET A LIFE, SOAP, and FAMILY GUY.

15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Right now it's That 70's Show.

All time rave fave is Seinfeld.

I'll watch anyting on Grant's list except M*A*S*H, it just never clicked for me.

16. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

GREEN ACRES: the most subversive sitcom ever made, in a surrealistic rural locale so quirky it still makes Monty Python seem conservative. As wonderfully absurd a show I've ever seen.

BATMAN: make no mistake, this was comedy, though camp is what most people remember. Nothing quite like it, and a natural for DVD box set status.

THE HONEYMOONERS: Needs no comment whatsover.

WKRP IN CINCINATTI: A flawed mess of a sitcom, but somehow endearing.
    Every character, in a way, didn't belong at a radio station--at least that one. Yet they were one strange, happy family.

THE YOUNG ONES: 13 eps and out, but the only true inheritor to the Python ethos, and although erratic in quality, absolutely ROTFLMFAO hilarious when it worked.

THE ADDAMS FAMILY: I always like the house and its deadly potential.
    And of course the blatant sexual interplay between Gomez and Morticia, taken to even further extremes in the two films with Julia & Huston.
    And I wish there were more Wednesdays in the world, just grown up and ready for action:love:

GILLIGAN'S ISLAND: just for Mary Ann.

FAWLTY TOWERS: Just the kind of chaos you expect from the Brits:D

That's pretty much my faves, discounting animation, which deserves a visual arts thread of its own, as it uses sitcom basics but takes them to a different place(thankfully). As for the rest, either too inconsistent(though with great eps scattered around, as with FRASIER)or just plain dull(anything Cosby ever did). Besides, I think the thread is meant to pick faves, not dis, so I'll let the duds lay where they belong.

ED:cool:

17. -=Rudy=-

Forgot about 'Soap". Real Burt and alien Burt. ;) "Hi, it's Chuck! Is Bob there?"

"Family Ties", mainly for the Alex Keaton character. :) "Hey, Al-EX!" "Hey, Ni-ICK." Or his hilarious infatuation with Liz Obeck, the girl next door. Didn't watch it as much though.

Used to watch a lot more in the 70's, and can't stand anything newer than the mid 80's. There was a time when humor aimed for something other than the crotch...

18. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, I liked "Soap" but, again, it was kind of erratic and not always sure of itself. I also distrust sitcoms that insist, seemingly in EVERY episode, in trying to milk pathos or make some kind of social commentary. Worse, as time went on, sitcom writers and producers would milk the audience's emotions with sudden angry outbursts from characters. Since the term *sitcom* implies comedy, not anger, I always find this sort of crap a turn-off(admittedly, some shows did this a lot better than most). The crotch quotient, agreed, has gotten out of hand a bit, though sexual innuendo has been a staple of sitcoms from the beginning, only the more clever and less direct it was(THE ADDAMS FAMILY)the better it ages.

What bugs me about most sitcoms since the early '80s is that they're so literally *staged* that any attentive viewer can tell when and where the actors are hitting their *marks* or reading cue cards. Remember the early SNL? That gang rehearsed so well that by air time, it was as if they were acting a play where there were no cue cards; it all flowed so naturally. The best sitcoms, like THE HONEYMOONERS, are so well executed and filmed that you can get lost in them; it doesn't occur to you until after the show's over you were watching a show. More like you were a fly-on-the-wall into their living rooms, seeing and hearing their lives unfold, warts and all.

There is art and there is product; most of it now is product, but the art is where the fun and joy really is.

ED:cool:

19. -=Rudy=-

With "Soap," for me anyway, it was worth wading through the other nonsense to get to the funny bits...since those sometimes had some serious belly laughs! :D But for the crotch stuff, I'd rather take some sly, clever innuendo that might be over many viewers' heads. This direct stuff is just annoying...very one dimensional, and just reminds me too much of being in junior high school and learing how to talk "dirty". And it's like not a moment goes by when they have to insert yet another crotch joke...as though the audience can't laugh at anything else.

It's like comedians. Rodney Dangerfield, on a couple of early albums, was still hilarous without having to be 100% in the gutter. And his innuendo jokes were even more funny because they were so tame.

'I Love Lucy" was another fly-on-the-wall show for me. :) You'd just get drawn into the Ricardos' living room with each episode.

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I'd agree with John Carsell, right now That '70's Show is the best sitcom on the air. Try it, you might agree that it's very well written and acted.

All Time List:

Seinfeld
    Taxi
    Cheers
    Mary Tyler Moore Show
    Dick Van Dyke Show
    Bob Newhart Show
    All In The Family
    WKRP
    The Honeymooners
    Fawlty Towers

The last, especially. John Cleese was/is a comic genius. Standout episode: when a guest dies, and they frantically try to hide the body.

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

In no particular order

Seinfeld
    Sanford & Son
    News Radio
    All in the Family
    Cheers
    Taxi
    M*A*S*H

Regards,

22. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Black Adder
    Fawlty Towers (especially the "German" episode)
    M*A*S*H

23. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

News Radio - great choice! :)

On top of News Radio:

Monty Python's Flying Circus
    The Kids In The Hall
    Seinfeld
    The Simpsons
    The Chris Isaak Show
    Sports Night

To name a few

Craig

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.