What Is/Was Your Favorite Sitcom?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stever, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

All In The Family
    Roseanne (The show ... not the person)
    Amos and Andy
    Taxi
    Cheers
    Honeymooners
    Sports Night
    Leave It To Beaver (May not qualify as a Sitcom ... but still one of my favorites)

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Or how about Leslie Nielson's (sorry, I forgot his character's name) *smooth* parking maneuver whenever he pulled his squad car over to the curb (usually taking out a few trash cans, bus stop benches and fire hydrants in the process). :laugh:

Jim W.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A lot of the Sitcoms I used to watch as a kid vanished without a trace and haven't been on TV in 30 years.

Some (like Amos & Andy) for obvious reasons, others (like "I Married Joan", "The Danny Thomas Show", "My Little Margie", "December Bride", "Pete & Gladys", "The Bob Cummings Show" etc.) because they committed the unforgivable sin of being filmed in black and white.

Would I still like these shows if I could see them today? I dunno, probably!

On the other hand, I watched an episode or two of "My Favorite Martian", a show I loved as a kid, and was not too impressed.....

On the other other hand, whenever I catch an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show", I AM impressed. It's hard to believe that this show started on the air when JFK was president! It's obvious that Rob and Laura actually had sex, probably every night, even with those two separate beds. That show really holds up nicely.

4. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I think it's the classiest sitcom ever. Period. And, oh, was Laura Petrie gorgeous! I didn't really care for how MTM's look evolved later, but she was a vision of loveliness on THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW.

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I haven't thought about that one in awhile. I believe it was airing on PBS here shortly before they picked up Monty Python. Although the "timeline" is no longer clear to me, I also believe I saw this before there was an "All in the Family". Aside from the "rougher than US TV" language and the dark subject matter - what I remember being struck by was that the med students were often shown drinking heavily in their local pub, and enjoying it. Somehow, on US TV - people in bars either never actually DRINK the beverages in front of them - or they get blasted drunk out of depression. Recreational drinking, like the yards of beer these med students used to down in one shot, was (and probably is) never shown on US TV.

I remember an episode where they had absconded with a cadaver so that they could study anatomy, and they had to lug the it all around town in an effort to return it. Funny stuff.

6. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Don't mention the War...

Because I don't really consider the Flying Circus a sitcom, lets face it its a variety show, I only have two great shows.

THE HONEYMOONERS: Way too youg to have seen when it aired but WPIX in NY always showed them at 11 pm (followed by Star Trek) when I was growing up. The ad-libs make it all the better.

FAWLTY TOWERS: On lots of lits because its so well crafted and funny.

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yeah, some of the old shows that we loved are best kept as nice memories. Some shows, or certain episodes of shows, like My Favorite Martian, can be quite excruiating to watch now. When Laugh-In was repeated a few years ago, I couldn't watch more than a few minutes. It seemed too stupid!

Some, like Dick Van Dyke, and even Andy Griffith and Leave It to Beaver hold up in many respects even with the contrived plots. (I would love to be able to edit out that awful canned laughter.) Although kids now are 1000 times more street wise than the teens in LITB, some of their attitudes, actions, interests, fears, and authorityl mistrust are still the same almost 50 years later. However, today a line of dialog like "my Dad punched me in the mouth when I..." (Eddie Haskell) could never be used in a sitcom today, much less followed by a big yuk from the laugh track!

8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

My favorite sitcoms ever, in no particular order:

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, aka Rocky and His Friends
    Police Squad!
    All in the Family
    Buffalo Bill
    The Odd Couple

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Big :thumbsup: to your two comments here. :)

I like M*A*S*H best in its earlier seasons. Nothing against BJ or Charles (they had some great moments), but they weren't as hilariously funny IMHO as Trapper John and Frank Burns, and the interaction between those original cast members. :) Compare a first season episode to the final episode, and you realize how much had changed. The last episode was a bit touching, but to me the newer shows seem--what--more sterile (?) than the older ones perhaps? Not bad, just different.

I don't offend with the sex jokes very much, but you described it better than I ever could. A clever double-entendre would go over the heads of some of the viewing audience and most kids, and would take some skill for a writer to compose. It just seems so *cheap* these days--direct and to the point, and the laugh track tells us when to react. I just shake my head when I have to walk into the same room where the Mrs. is watching one of those crotch shows...I just don't get it, I guess. It just seems that good, subtle, well-crafted humor is a thing of the past. And it also explains why a channel like TV Land is still popular today.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Everyone of my favorite TV shows of yesterday are still quite enjoyable today. Actually,I enjoy some more today as they bring on some great memories of my past.

11. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Always followed by the line "My boss was already there." :)

12. Michael

No matter how many times I've seen the Honeynooners. I still laugh out loud! Just an incredibly funny and enjoyable show...Mind you I know every line and still laugh! Quality...

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The biggest problem with MASH in its final years was it stopped being funny. The characters of Hawkeye and Hot Lips were basically replaced by Alan Alda and Loretta Swit essentially playing themselves. The serious plotlines seemed to become more melodramatic and lose their subtlety, while the "funny" plots just really weren't funny. I remember during the last couple years there was a plotline where Hawkeye was in charge of the payroll and it was eaten by a goat. C'mon, I'd expect to see that on Gomer Pyle, not MASH (no offense to anyone who likes Gomer Pyle). The last few years the episodes are really rigidly formularized, always split down the middle with one "serious" and one "funny" plot per episode. And yeah, in general the new characters were less interesting than the ones they replaced, in my opinion. The departure of producer Gene Reynolds as well as Larry "Frank" Linville after season five is to me the clear demarcation point where the quality takes a nosedive.

14. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

A couple of years ago, one sitcom the wife and I were really into was Stark Raving Mad. Loved that show. Then they pulled the plug on it. Why?

Anyone else remember it?

And what ever happened to Titus? Loved that one too.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Actually, that would be more like the Bevery Hillbillies, not Gomer Pyle. Gomer Pyle used to have a real live Marine consultant to ensure that the show maintained a sense of respect.

Did you know that Robert Reed of the Brady Bunch was always trying to keep the show down to earth? He used to scrutinize every script, and when he found somrthing that was too off the wall. or something that didn't adhere to logic or the laws of physics, he would argue about it with the writers until they changed it. He was always on the phone with the Los Angeles Public library looking for facts. Notice how he was always serious in the show? RR was trained as a serious stage actor, and kind of resented being in a sitcom. But he stayed the whole time because he did like the show and he felt like the Bunch was his extended family. I guess Marcia (Maureen McCormick) and Greg (Barry Williams) were feeling incestuous!:D They used to get caught messin' around in Tiger's doghouse!

16. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

My favorite sitcoms:

The Dick Van Dyke Show
    I Love Lucy
    Cheers
    Absolutely Fabulous
    WKRP in Cincinnati
    Fawlty Towers
    M*A*S*H
    NewsRadio (At least until Max showed up)
    The Bob Newhart Show

Honorable Mentions:
    The Simpsons (Its a cartoon, but surely a sitcom as well)
    Monty Python's Flying Circus (Not technically a sitcom, but a great, under-an-hour comedy)
    Fernwood 2Night (again, not really a sitcom, but oh, this one has made me howl so many times...)
    Police Squad! (again, not technically...)

Sadly, no sitcom on air right now really grabs me, though I dig The Gilmore Girls and 24.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

17. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Haven't chimed in here yet. Here's some of Yeahman's favs.

MASH (It's the Beatles of sitcoms. How much more Marx-ian could it have gotten? The answer is none, none more Marx-ian)

Night Court (I think I stole my sense of humor from this show)
    Scrubs (Have every episode on DVD. Watch them constantly)
    Parker Lewis Can't Lose (Cartoon set to real life)
    Fernwood Tonight (Fred Willard is the man!)
    B&W Andy Griffith ([long southern drawl]"Thank you Mrs. Riley"[/long southern drawl])
    Simpsons (Consistent writing. Best Satire on TV)
    Hidden Hills (Prematurely canceled in my opinion)

... and my favorite comedy masquerading as a drama:
    Northern Exposure

18. Michael

Jamie, How about Mary Hartman Mary Hartman?...Since ya dig Fermwood Tonight...I'd love MH MH on DVD!

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I never got Mary Hartman. I remember it scaring the hell out of me when I was a kid for some reason. TV Land was showing it before Fernwood for a while, I just never caught on to the humor.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Actually, the post-Hartman episodes are still funnier than most other shows on TV. The episodes with Patrick Warburton as Johnny Johnson, Jimmy James' uber-charismatic evil nemesis were particularly hysterical.

Regards,

21. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

True, and I do love those Johnny Johnson episodes, but as a whole, the show fell enough to knock that season out of my list of favorite sitcoms. Still, you are right, it was still better than most.

It is heresy, but NewsRadio is my favorite American sitcom of the 90s!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

22. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I'll put in a belated vote for Murphy Brown. Might have gone on past its prime, but it was frequently hilarious. I loved any episode with Peewee Herman and/or Gary Marshall.:laugh: :thumbsup:

23. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Not to mention that anything elliciting a silly Dan Quayle tirade was allright with me.

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Here's mine - of course I like many others, but these are the ones that quickly come to mind as my favorites. I could watch these shows over and over without getting tired of seeing them:

1. The Honeymooners

and the rest in no particular order:

Cheers
    Seinfeld
    All In the Family
    Sanford and Son (nice to see this is on TV Land now)
    WKRP In Cincinnati

A note about WKRP - I was REALLY annoyed with the revised copies of this that have started to be shown on some channels. The copies being distributed in recent years have almost all of the music originally played on the show (and even a few spoken passages) replaced. Disgusted me to the point that I didn't even want to watch it when it came on because it wasn't the real thing. Luckily I recorded everything when the E! channel was showing WKRP around 1995/96 - those had basically all the original music intact, though the shows were shortened a bit. I'm only missing the very few episodes E! never aired, such the one where Les gets his pig award (the Silver Sow) and goes to the ceremony with Jennifer, and I think a couple of others.

25. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

1. All in the Family
    2. Three's Company
    3. Everybody Loves Raymond
    4. The Brady Bunch
    5. Taxi
    6. The Simpsons
    7. King of the Hill
    8. The Bernie Mac Show (so far)
    9. WKRP in Cincinnati
    10. The Jeffersons