What is your dream box set that doesn't (yet) exist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Aug 17, 2018.

1. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

id be very happy w an AAA echo and the bunnymen vinyl box ...

2. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

Some guy would probably buy 3 of them and keep 2 copies sealed with hopes of selling them.

Just like the guy who sold me sealed copies of the 2 MFSL Use Your Illusion albums 20 years after buying them... he probably had a heart attack when I emailed him to tell him how good they sounded :D

pablo fanques likes this.
  3. nodisco

nodisco Forum Resident

I'd love a Bowie 7" singles box with each disc in a "foreign" sleeve, i.e. Space Oddity with the japanese promo 7" artwork, Yassassin in the turkish one, etc.
    There is a Beatles 7" box made this way, and I think it's a really great idea for who can not afford the original vintage discs.

tomd likes this.
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I love that song, and the album from which it comes. But who is the girl singing with Mike and Robin? The album desperately needs a revamp, including a new vinyl version. My original is in a sad state.

jamesmaya likes this.
  5. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Though it does exist (in a form, on CD and DVD), I'd love a complete Live Pink Floyd vinyl box set that would see vinyl releases for the BBC Sessions 1967-1969, Amsterdam 1969, KQED 1970, St Tropez 1970, London 1970, BBC 1971, Pompeii, Wembley 1974, Is There Anybody Out There?, Knebworth 1990, Earls Court 1994, and Live 8 2005 performances. That would come to a hefty 20+ LP's.

NunoBento and pablo fanques like this.
  6. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Faron Young - The Complete Mercury Records Collection.

Plus, you could add his MCA output as well. Same licensing.

Mychael and pablo fanques like this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Great choices John & maybe there is more from the 72' live mixing desk where Heartbreaker came from?

jay.dee and pablo fanques like this.
  8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Guns N' Roses - The Illusion albums

A box set with the two albums, B-sides/demos/alternate mixes, and a full undoctored UYI show for audio/video content

9. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Comprehensive Bob Seger set from the beginning to now.

Sean and pablo fanques like this.
  10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Julie Felix: 10 of her greatest performances

All Down The Line likes this.
  11. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

12. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

A decent well-remastered Mighty Lemon Drops anthology/ box set. My worst fear is that a) it’ll never happen or b) it’ll fall to Edsel or Cherry Red.

MGM and rynopinn like this.
  13. aside from the purported deep purple live in europe i would love a johnny rivers complete collection of the whiskey tapes. all the songs including chatter between songs. over dub sessions hell just give me everything there is

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. The 1st dvd of the UYI show will just be 3hrs of .............. nothing .......... to represent the waiting we all did back in the day waiting for them to come on stage.

john lennonist and munjeet like this.
  15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Genesis Trepass thru ATTWT

Flat original transfers

The longer lps spread out to 3 sides and a side of bonus cuts or alt takes

NICK DAVIS and Tony Banks barred from the production

Hep Alien and pablo fanques like this.
  16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Aphrodite's Child

Vangelis should assemble a box set of rare and unreleased material from the three albums recorded and maybe a good live show since there are some live recordings in good fidelity on the web. Plus, have the Greek mix of the 666 album on CD too.

jay.dee and Pim like this.
  17. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Don't forget the live disc with Zeitkratzer.

jay.dee and Rukiki like this.
  18. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

How about the later Sire albums by The Ramones, starting with Pleasant Dreams? I'm probably one of the few that enjoys those more than the first 5.

Hep Alien and Dylan75 like this.
  19. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

I'm really curious why you chose those dates. If you're a big enough fan to want everything from '65 on then surely the two-and-a-half singles from before then would be essential too? And at the other end if you're going to make room for the later 80s and 90s stuff then why stop around 00?

As a P-Funk fanatic I'm torn between the idea of a giant box containing everything I might ever be slightly curious about and something a little more focused which would convert the curious bystanders. A box with everything Clinton produced between the first Funkadelic album and Computer Games would be IMHO be the single greatest collection of recorded music by anyone, in any genre, ever. I'd like to see that because I'd like as many as possible to share the pure joy I've gotten from that music over the years. Whereas though I like a lot of the later things I don't think albums like The Cinderella Theory and the Incorporated Thang Band album and even Dope Dogs would do much but muddy the waters for the uninitiated. If anything I actually prefer the post 00 and especially the post-crack Clinton to the late 80s and 90s stuff.

Maybe the solution would be a 100CD+ box for the faithful and an edited 50 (or so) CD box for the curious.

Like either of them is going to happen in our lifetimes!

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

From the Golden World single to rom TAPOAFOM. That was my cutoff point. A more than solid disc could be made from Computer Games onward. I'd say five more from Golden World to Electric Spanking if you include all the side hustle.

Richard Starkly likes this.
  21. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

While I’m not as into those later albums better than the first five—to me that’s a ridiculously high bar, as they are among my all-time favorite albums by anyone (!) —I strongly agree with you on hopes that the Ramones reissue series continues with Pleasant Dreams and beyond. First of all, the reissue series in those Deluxe editions have been just been fantastic with loads of live, studio and new content (I just had the It’s Alive set out yesterday—so GREAT to have ALL those shows). And I’m salivating for March when End of the Century drops as that looks in keeping with the previous sets and maybe even more revelatory. And second, I LOVE Pleasant Dreams. I think it’s just a fantastic collection of songs, performances and productions with practically not a dud in the bunch, and one of the gems (albeit in a kinda different way, while still being absolutely The Ramones) in their catalog. And there’s plenty of excellent work in the albums after that to be sure.

Hep Alien, Deano6 and brianvargo like this.
  22. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

Sounds like you're a bit more restrained than I could manage, I agree that you could easily pull together a great disc from the later stuff and that would probably be for the best if we're looking for a box set to appeal to regular type people.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  23. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

'Til Tuesday live shows and demo box-set...vinyl, cd's, dvd's, blu's,4k's...I would snap up everything, even VHS (no I wouldn't)
    [​IMG]

Thorpy, pablo fanques and Hep Alien like this.
  24. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

Nope, hoping they’ll continue the entire discography like the 40thAnniversay series. I’d go for each one of them...

25. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I've been thinking about this for years

Richard Starkly likes this.