What is your "dream" system...realistic, may one day own?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leni

leni Well-Known Member

A nice big TANNOY.

2. russk

russk Forum Resident

That is a sweet looking listening room.

timind likes this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

I feel you. One thing audition tons of speakers has showed me is you can never tell be price or reputation or looks what will do it for you in your space. I’ve always liked Vienna Acouatics and NHT. Harbeth, while great for voices always left me wanting more of everything else.

timind likes this.
  4. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

A good size dedicated treated room will be my next dream "system"....My current living room and family room have many room related issues that I can't really solve due to placements limitations.

5. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I'm very close to where I want to be. If I did anything it would be to upgrade the crossovers in my speakers, add 2 more subs and maybe a better phonostage.

6. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Ah, yes; me, too!

“Youth is a dream, a form of chemical madness.”
    ― F. Scott Fitzgerald

Nascimento Brasil and russk like this.
  7. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

Wilson Alexia 2, Dan D'agistino monoblock and preamp, MSB DAC
    Wilson Alexx, Dartzeel or CH Precision amp and preamp, Bricasti DAC
    Magico M6, Soulution or Boulder amp and preamp and dac

These are all $100k+ systems and something I aspire to own by retirement age. I'll get there, I am most certain.

Second system, maybe Harbeth 40.2 and Accuphase integrated amp. Or Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Mezzo XD, with a McIntosh C1100 preamp, MC275 power amp, and a high end streamer/dac possibly from ARC.

These are under $100K systems (in the case of the Harbeth system, well under $30K) and quite possibly something I may come to own in the next 5-10 years.

In the very near future, under 5 years from now, I plan to move to ATC SCM150 active loudspeakers, and combine it with a very nice dac with digital volume control. I have had my eyes on the excellent Rockna line of balanced dacs, or perhaps a Bricasti dac, like the M21.

For now, enjoying my JBL and McIntosh stack. This was my "end game" 3 years ago and it only took me 3 years to acquire it, then realize I want even more extravagant things. Heh.

8. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

PS. Forgot to mention. HRS racks for all of those systems. For cables, no idea. But probably will try a bit of everything from Audioquest, Nordost, Tara Labs, and Siltech. Because why not :)

9. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Totally unrelated, but I love your profile picture. One of my favorite films.

10. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident

I have a dream component if that counts. I like to shuffle play CDs while reading books. And so I would like a 5 or 6 disc CD/SACD player with a higher end DAC in the 2000.00 range.
    Not gonna happen.

11. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

An all mid-70's McIntosh system.

efraley and Rick58 like this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Same that's on my profile, only replacing my current 40-year receiver for a better, modern amp, unless I could find the right tech and parts for a complete overhaul of it (not possible down here) so as to be able to keep it till the reaper comes for me.

No one is going to give me his MA-9000, or Palladium floorstanders, not that they'd fit my 12X13 living room, so.......:laugh:

13. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

I am thankful that I have 2 separate living rooms each approx 250 sq ft rectangle. I keep wanting to plug away at my analog front end and then eventually get an amp and speakers. My wife (just got married) wants me to get the Vandersteen Quatroa. Sure sweetie...as you wish. :D:D:love:
    I love my Chinook preamp, but still tempted to get the Gold Note ph-10 also..one day. And 16 years old? Can I have the hearing that I had at 16? o_O

14. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

I'm mostly satisfied right now, I guess I might like to upgrade from my Yammy a-s1100 amp someday, but it's hard to think of something that would be a significant improvement without spending a ridiculous amount.

I guess I'd also like a set of abyss headphones someday, but that's a distant dream.

Monty12 and Rick58 like this.
  15. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Just put my 45 year old McIntosh receiver into my main system and realized I should have never bought new modern integrated amp. Could have saved $2500.

Bananajack and Rick58 like this.
  16. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

I suspect I'm 'there', now, given my requirements. :)

Doesn't mean there aren't components/systems I'd love to at least hear, someday, that I haven't had the chance yet to audition. SET gear, particularly -- to wit:

a) an Audio Note system. Level Zero or One would do, a simple CD/amp/speakers setup.

b) a Shindo system, meaning amplification and sympathetic speakers (DeVore Orangutans or similar high-efficiency transducers).

c) an Oswald's Mill system (amplification and speakers).

d) a complete Decware system (CD/amp/speakers).

This is all pretty academic, though ... I believe my Naim system is great, and probably as good as I can expect given my budgetary reality.

17. gestalt

gestalt Forum Resident

I'm in Nashville if you decide one day is today. Would love to have you visit! :cheers:

18. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

You've got a msg :thumbsup:

gestalt likes this.
  19. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

There was the Cello Audio Palette which came out in the early 1990s.
    Apparently it was rather nice at doing what you described
    (realistic...um not sure...there is often “slippage” in expectations...)

20. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Pretty much have it now. Only change I could see is if I got a bigger room. Then I’d go from Harbeth 30.2s to 40.2s or Wilson Audio Sabrina’s.

21. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I never did get to hear the Cello Palette, though it had the reputation, all right. For quite a while, I owned its little brother, the far less costly Palette Preamp, which made it easy to tweak a bad recording quickly. The sound lost a little resolution passing through it, but that was minor, and it added no harshness, hardness, or glare.

The other great EQ I tried was the (digital) Weiss EQ-1 Mk 2. It is meant for mastering studios and tops out at 96 kHz. To me, that was an issue only because, if fed anything it didn't understand (too high a sampling rate or a transient of some sort), it would lock up and could be reset only with the power switch. It was the most transparent equalizer I've used, but not great for a home system.

Congratulations to all of you in NZ for managing the pandemic. I have a friend with a cabin in Karekare who's not returning to the US (his main home) for the foreseeable future. It really is a mess here.

I'm also using Janszen electrostatic hybrids. How do you like the Z-30s?

concorde01 likes this.
  22. Pater Aeneae

Pater Aeneae Well-Known Member

I hope to have a Luxman Class A 550axii integrated. Turntable either a Technics 1200g or 1200gr, with a MM or MC cart that is compatible with built in phono stage. Not sure about speakers but I am super intrigued by Klipsch heresy or fortes - on paper their 99db sensitivity should suit 20 class a watts. Goal is to have this set up between the next 5-7 years

23. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

The Z-30s are great (absolutely great) when they are operating ok.
    Sadly over the last 3 years they’ve needing repair a number of times ...it’s up to repair trip number 4...so it’s very frustrating.
    I tell myself it’s like owning a classic car....

Mike-48 likes this.
  24. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

Prob like to try some McIntosh Monoblocks at some point and eventually get up to Klipschorns when the space permits...turntable wise the Technics SL-1000R is prob my end game aim or a SME-20/30

25. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Happy with my system which I have accumulated over 40+ years.

Possibly a Quad Twenty Four P Phono stage may be next, but the phono stage in the integrated Quad amp is excellent.

One day I may acquire an high end turntable.

Possibly a Thorens TD550 with SME 309 Tonearm and Ortofon Anna cartridge

or

Linn LP12 Klimax.

Tim 2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.