What is your "dream" system...realistic, may one day own?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

What speakers would you pair with that? The amp is gorgeous...audio can be gorgeous, right?

2. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

My plan would be to pair it with my DeVore O/96's. Someday....someday...

displayname likes this.
  3. Nascimento Brasil

Nascimento Brasil Forum Resident

I listened with Klipsch La Scala II and I didn't hear a good combination, here at home I listen with Tannoy Westminster Royal HE and I think it's perfect!

4. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I currently have a 'phones only system (see profile).

I plan to retire in 5 years and we will relocate for the last time (hopefully!).

I will be able to spend a few £££ on some amps and speakers to go with my Esoteric SACDP. I'm thinking of Accuphase or Vitus amps and Marten or Magico speakers. But my long suffering wife might put a stop to my plan when she sees the cost:eek::)

Sdp likes this.
  5. Ontheone

@Nascimento Brasil Do you own the AirTight 300??

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  6. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

Not that I could afford the amp, but I wonder how it would sound with spatial audio x3 or x5 (97db effecient)

7. Nascimento Brasil

Yes, I have the ATM300 model, later the models came out: Birthday and Reference! I compared mine with the birthday model, but I didn't hear any reason to change models!

Ontheone likes this.
  8. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

As I approach retirement, I wanted to make a real stab at getting a "final" system, and with a couple additions this year I believe I am now there.

Speakers: 3-way with Jensen P15LL woofer in open baffle; YL Acoustics 5500 driver in Western Electric 32A horn; Electro-Voice T-350 tweeter.
    Amplifiers: DIY version of the Western Electric 124 with Acrosound output transformers (Alternate: Emotive Audio Vita)
    Slagle AVC for system volume control (Alternate: Emotive Audio Epifania)
    Record player: Galibier Gavia table; Triplanar VII; Benz LP
    Phono preamp: DIY D3a/5687 with Slagle SUT
    Digital: Cambridge CXC transport and DIY DAC with Western Electric 407a and vintage coupling caps
    Cables: All Audio Note copper and silver

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  9. Ontheone

I'd love to hear your AirTight ATM300 through those Tannoys! That must be stunning. Enjoy.

10. Nascimento Brasil

Were it not at a distance, I would already be invited!
    It is not a system of adventures or adventurers, it is not that thing that impresses the first hearing, nor is it serious to shake the windows, but I can say that it plays honestly, I am happy with this system, in the past I had Mark Levinson 33Ref playing with B&W 801 Matrix, it was great, but it couldn't resist the Airtight ATM300 combination with Tannoy!

Ontheone likes this.
  11. Sdp

Sdp Well-Known Member

So many amazing combinations in this thread. I just bought a CH I1 a month ago and its of the charts. I had class D Mono's that i played my PS DSD through, sold those to get my final integrated amp. I got the Phono stage with the amp and use the internal DAC from the CH. I want to get a Kuzma TT so I can swap between analog to digital all from the one unit. I would like to get some Rockport speakers but that is a long way off. Get a great rack to place them all on then jobs done other than buying vinyl.

timind likes this.
  12. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

My realistic dream system is basically a higher level of what I already have:

- Gyrodec with Audiomods Series 6 tonearm and Benz Micro Wood SL cart

- EAR 868 PL preamp

- ATC SCM50 ASLT active speakers

13. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

No idea. Haven’t tried that much stuff.

I do sorta have a dream ‘ house ‘ or ‘ room’.

good dimensions , high ceilings and a fireplace.
    Aesthetics make me enjoy my music as well.

A tube amp as a spare for a slightly different sound might be cool.

just don’t put me in an audiophile looking room. Creeps me out.

timind, csgreene, Hogues and 3 others like this.
  14. normychas

normychas Active Member

timind and Tone? like this.
  15. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Preamp - Cary Audio SLP-05
    Power - Audia Flight Strumento No 4
    CDP - Marantz SA-10
    DAC - Chord Hugo TT2
    Streamer - Lumin T2
    Speakers - Marten Heritage Miles 5
    Sub - JL Audio F113

Coming 2022/23 :D

16. Donald Burger

Donald Burger Forum Resident

That would be a forever moving target in this group.

Khorn likes this.
  17. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

I don't know the whole answer to this question yet. I do know a few things since in about two years (after some major home remodeling) I will have a chance to truly start building my dream system. I know that I'd like either a Thorens TD-124, Garrard 301 or VPI rosewood Signature prime. The Luxman LX-380 has always been high on my list and I think that I'd probably settle on that as my integrated choice. As for Speakers, I have always loved Salk but that category is wide open. I plan on considering numerous speakers including Vandersteen, Ohm, Golden ear tritons and Focal to name a few.

18. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    kaikki on aivan jees and Mike-48 like this.
  19. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Do I NEED anything? No.

Do I really want anything? Not as much as one might think. I am very interested in the development of Class D amplification and this could well be one area I probably will invest in.

I’m very fortunate to have the systems I do have as well as the ability to enjoy listening to them.

20. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

oh my god i totally agree.

I'm sure the audio experience of those crazy rooms is amazing, but it's not for me. Tastefully integrated into a living space, that's how I like my stereo system.

For me, dream system would be a Hegel H590 with a pair of Harbeth 40.3's. Clean, minimal, classic. Mostly Tidal/Qobuz streaming and playing local files via Roon through the Hegel. (Roon readiness has been promised for two years!) Maybe a PS Audio PerfectWave SACD transport for discs.

I'd probably keep my Thorens TD-121 turntable for now, unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

timind, Tlay and Tone? like this.
  21. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Nice rooms man

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

A wise man once told me when I was young that his biggest failing was not setting his goals high enough- he had accomplished what he set out to do.
    In audio, half of the fun is the quest. The same is true of records (or anything that is collected or accumulated).
    I have no specific list of things I want--- and like @TommyTunes, I've seen the peak, but know there is another one beyond it.
    Many very good systems were built over years of upgrading, prioritizing hi-fi over other things --what, a vacation? -totally ephemeral--and judicious purchases of used gear.
    There is a strong flavor of the month aspect to this business. The components I respect most are those that have withstood the test of time. As for new gear, it is hard to predict. Take an Infinity IRS V. What's that worth today? It was the absolute pinnacle for the swami of Seacliff, but I doubt those fetch big bucks now.
    I know, this isn't an investment. But there is something to be said for buying something enduring. And a much smaller handful of components really make that list in my estimation, compared to the absolutely dizzying array of stuff, old and new, that one could buy.
    I haven't heard a Marantz 7 in a while but I suspect it would still do the job. (I did spend time with a pair of mono consolettes and they were far better than I ever expected them to be).
    I'm not exactly jaded, but have had a fair amount of really good equipment pass through my doors over the years. Maybe part of it is expectations-- when you are young, you dream not only because you have a lifetime ahead of you, but a belief that this stuff will be life changing. It's important, and sonically, it can be life changing at moments, but that's ephemeral too.
    I went through the same thing with cars.
    I'm now at a point in my life where I want simplicity.
    And that's the final rub- by the time you get to the place where you might be able to just put it all on a black card and pay it off that month, you are either very fortunate, or old. I think I've been a little of both, and I wouldn't change anything I did (audio, cars, whatever) but I can still look back and my choices and wonder "what if?"
    Go for the dream. Whatever that means to you. It is the journey, not the destination that is ultimately where the fun is-- and now that I'm sounding like a fortune cookie, I'll sign off.
    Love ya all.

23. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

I sold my S2000 last month. Man I'm getting old!

24. Windy Miller

Windy Miller Forum Resident

I used to think that with the sort of music I tend to listen to on a day to day basis I didn’t need any further equipment. I had a Marantz Amp and CD player with Dali speakers and to be honest, it sounded poor with a lot of the stuff I listened to. When this went the way of my ex during a separation I didn’t miss it too much. I went a bit mental spending far too much of my limited money on Moon and Proac equipment after hearing it at the store. I subsequently discovered that Podcasts and MP3 sound awful....it was t the equipment

I have discovered that maybe one system doesn’t cover all bases. I am pretty sure I need one system for recreating a rave in one room, and a more relaxed system in another room.

Having heard the ATC SCM40A and the speed they work at, this will be the start of the ‘rave’ system with a couple of subs to shake the walls further. I’m happy with the sound of the Moon amp and think maybe the 740P might be appropriate together with the 780D.

For the quiet room, the local dealer has Audio Note equipment....I feel I must have a listen.

25. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

My system, which is pretty close to complete, is much like Salectric's system described above.

The speaker has twin 12" woofers with alnico magnets in a Jensen Onken cabinet. The tweeter is a Fostex bullet tweeter. The midrange is a Western Electric 713b compression driver and a Western Electric 12025 horn. The amplifier is a Western Electric 133 clone using mostly vintage parts, including the Western Electric 171C output transformers and 618C input transformers; tubes are Western Electric 348s and 349s (four of each). My linestage is a custom build that also uses Western Electric input and output transformers and Western Electric 310 and 348 tubes ("vintage", but with remote control). My sources are a Naim 555/UnitiCore music server/storage/CD ripper; and a Basis Debut turntable with vacuum clamp, separate power supply, Basis Vector III tonearm and Transcription Orpheus L cartridge (also have a Lyra Titan). The phono stage is a Viva Fono. Power conditioners include an Isotek Titan and Evo and Furman battery backup. Headphones are Stax 007 phones powered by Blue Hawaii SE amp/energizer. Cabling is a mix of wiring including Audio Note Sogon interconnects an speaker cables and XLO limited interconnects.

I think I am mostly set for quite a while. I am having someone build a different external crossover for the speakers and I may replace the internal wiring with Audio Note silver wiring. I am also interested in a different headphone-Dan Clark electrostatics and maybe a different tonearm, such as, a Reed T5 (might not fit on my table).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.