What is your endgame integrated amplifier?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Naka9, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

We will have to take your word for this. :)

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

No one would believe me. Actually costs me some creditability here. There is only one other exactly upgraded Allied 333. When a friend heard it he said he would pay whatever I wanted to upgrade one. A week later he went to a radio swap and unbelievable a like new condition Allied 333 was there. He paid $150 for it. I just charged him parts for about $150 including new tubes. It must have certain tubes.

jonwoody, Ilusndweller and Ntotrar like this.
  3. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

The Rega Aethos is another amp that I’d love to try. The only reason it gives me pause (in addition to the required budget) is the fact that my Rega Elex-R is, IMHO, an awesome amplifier.

If there’s a forum member who climbed from the Elex-R to the Aethos please let me know.

Thanks.

Ro-Go, We_Love_Music and jonwoody like this.
  4. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Perhaps @Echoes Myron could comment more?

What is your endgame integrated amplifier?

"I own a Rega Aethos and it is end game material for me. I really don't see ever needing to move up from it. Mine is currently waiting for service, so I am really enjoying the Elicit-R that it had replaced. The Elicit is a very fine amp, but the Aethos is definitely a big notch above in every way. "

Here is the Rega integrated amp lineup.

Award-winning amplifiers made in England by Rega

io<Brio<Elex-R<Elicit MK5<Aethos<Osiris

Rega p6, Ivand and jonwoody like this.
  5. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I know this is the endgame integrated thread but it occurred to me I started the game with an integrated and the only one I've ever owned. It was a solid amp the Bryston B-60 $1500 new back when I bought it circa 1998. That amp is long gone this is pic is from the Bryston site, it's discontinued now but pretty sure it was selling for a crazy $3500 when last available.

[​IMG]

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

@Ilusndweller & @Ivand actually I can't help because I have never owned/heatd the Elex, I only know the Elicit-R and the Aethos. From what I understand the Elicit's sonic signature is an outlier in the range. The Elicit is a very neutral sounding amp, and is particularly excellent at detail and imaging. The Elicit disssects each aspect of a mix, and places each instrument in the soundstage with pinpoint accuracy. The holographic imaging can be uncanny with coaxial speakers like mine. It is not uncommon to hear instruments appear from behind your head with certain recordings, or from surprising spaces all around the room

Despite the nominal power increase on paper, the Aethos brings a great deal more power and autbority. I have demanding speakers, and the Aethos blows right past the Elicit and allows them to do more of what they are capable of. The sound and presentation are also quite different. The Aethos presents the music as an organic whole, rather than the sun of its parts like the Elicit. It is a notably smoother/warmer as well. Both are very excellent amps, but the Aethos is clearly superior.

7. grass-fed

grass-fed Forum Resident

Without having even tried tubes, I can imagine myself being in bliss with a Luxman LX-380 or Leben CS- 600x

Exactly!

Obviously, I wouldn't turn down a top-of-the-line SS Luxman integrated amp if someone is looking to unload some extra weight :)

Bananas&blow, matro5 and Mike-48 like this.
  8. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Any integrated without a mono button rules it out for me. I have too many mono records I enjoy and it’s a necessity.

Westerwick and austingonzo like this.
  9. Fletcher Munson

Fletcher Munson Forum Resident

This year.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

These days, I'm all active speakers, so no integrated amp needed. Preamps though are another matter. Currently using a Linn Kolektor, which dates to the late 1990s, early 2000s, before the "Majik" style aesthetic kicked in. Rather like that granite, hefty case they had back then.

What would be my endgame choice though? I'd need to check how keen I was to go back to passive speakers again. Tricky one.

11. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

My Audio Note Soro SE sig. I can't imagine anything better unless spending a silly amount of money.

Itsjaw, jonwoody and andrewrona like this.
  12. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Taylor @GoldprintAudio made this daydream come true. Letting her run in with the stock tubes (with the exception of the 6922's) for the next 100 hours or so :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slimwhit33, AndyCC72, bajaed and 15 others like this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

14. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Nice!Bet it sounds as good as it looks.Congrats bud :)

15. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

I’m happy with my Exposure 2510. Sounds great with my speakers in my room. Never once had listening fatigue since using this amp and it also has a very engaging sound. No doubt there is better somewhere but i can’t be bothered chasing it. If you have a good picture on the screen why fiddle with the aerial?

IRG, mreeter and Glmoneydawg like this.
  16. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

I am still stuck in the 70's. My Onkyo A-10 is my go to integrated amp.

jonwoody, Eigenvector, Texado and 4 others like this.
  17. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Between Cary Audio's annual Holiday Sale and Taylor, this was able to happen.

Thank you! The wife and I moving into our retirement home in a few months and I'm in the process of downsizing equipment, my new space is smaller than what I currently enjoy.

The SLI-80 will fit the bill quite nicely I believe and provide many years of pleasure :agree: at least that's the plan :winkgrin:

18. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Looks awesome! Thx again!

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Congrats Mike, Merry CHRISTmas !
    If only Cary made a power amp version of this I would have been all over it.
    And yeah, that Cary holiday sale is the best deal going.
    Keep us all posted about how it sounds.

jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  20. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

@mreeter ... try swapping out the stock 6SN7 for maybe some Sylvania 6SN7 GTA. Got those and Telefunken E88CC in my SLI-80.

Bananas&blow, jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  21. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Your post mirrors my experience with integrated amps.

I've only ever owned one: the Canadian-made Brown Mark 1. I started a thread over on CAM a number of years ago looking for info about it. Got some neat responses, with people posting pics and recollections.

I've always seen integrated amps as receivers that never quite made it. :)

I've always ever used only complete separates, or receivers (and later, AVRs.)

So to the OP: don't have one and don't think I ever will.

Jeff

jonwoody likes this.
  22. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I've got a few pairs of nos 6SN7's and 6922 variants on the back burner. Going to let the Amp ripen with the stock tubes before I start making many changes, want to get a good feel for its 'Stock' character first.

Have some old stock Svetlana Winged =C= EL34's, along with some Gold Lion KT77's and Tungsol KT120's that I'll roll in as well. One of the features I liked about this Amp is the ability to utilize several different Power Tubes.:righton:

Bananas&blow and jonwoody like this.
  23. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

@mreeter ... yeah ... she's still new. Gonna be a fun Xmas break eh?

mreeter likes this.
  24. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

25. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

The Luxman LX-380 is a fabulous piece - I hope to have one some day! Of course there's the L-595a se, too . . .