What is your favorite compilation CD series?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave112, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a question for CD buyers. There are several CD compilation series on the market today. For example there are the "20th Century Masters" and the "Gold" series that feature different artists. What series do you look for or avoid and why?

Crimson Witch and SinnerSaint like this.
  2. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Nuggets. First time around and then the expanded box set.

Jocko, Crimson Witch, Dave112 and 7 others like this.
  3. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

4. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

PAY IT ALL BACK Volumes 1-6.
    On-U Sound.

Dave112, Willowman and black sheriff like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Those Oblivion's are great, carry some nice 7 inch mixes and edits :)

6. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

and when not in the mood for On-U.

Total 1-Total 18/Pop Ambient

KOMPAKT ambient/techno excellence.

Dave112, Maurice and black sheriff like this.
  7. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Dave112 likes this.
  8. c-eling

When I can find em cheap I've been grabbing those 90's UK 'Volume' series. Beautifully done books, interviews, pics etc... :)
    [​IMG]

Dave112, Maurice, nlgbbbblth and 3 others like this.
  9. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Rhino used to have some great multi-volume series:

- British Invasion
    - Blues Masters
    - Can’t Get Enough of those New Wave Hits of the 1980s
    - Hang the DJ

ARK, lbangs, Crimson Witch and 13 others like this.
  10. c-eling

The 'Essential' series from the 90's can be hit or miss mastering wise.
    Pet Shop Boys isn't too bad, Duran Duran's should be avoided. Kirsty MacColl's, this is probably the best we're going to get for the early stuff. Galore is awful.
    Icon series is more miss than hit, most have massive modern compression added.

finslaw, Dave112 and black sheriff like this.
  11. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I always liked this series by Time Life.

[​IMG]

12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Love the “Have a Nice Day” series from Rhino. I wish they’d re-release those.
    Currently, I’m really enjoying “Twelve Inch Eighties” from the UK.

ARK, Crimson Witch, Dave112 and 12 others like this.
  13. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

I collected all of Rhinos Soul Hits of the 70s cds as well.

14. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

That'll Flat ... Git It! - Rockabilly culled from record labels both huge (e.g. RCA, Columbia) and tiny (e.g. Event, Colonial). Some of the 30-and-counting volumes are better thaan others, but each one has a lengthly and informative booklet.

Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight - The most rocking/bopping/jumping/swinging recordings by various country singers of the 40's, 50's, and early 60's.

Back From The Grave - Like Nuggets but more concentrated, bypassing the pop-rock hits and psychedelia. Pure proto-punk attitude.

15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nuggets...any iteration.

Crimson Witch and Dave112 like this.
  16. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Rhino DIY series - best ever.

lbangs, Dave112, expo62 and 5 others like this.
  17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have that Rhino DIY series. Never have listened to it. Need to go in the 'sell box'.
    I like most of the Time Life Singers and Songwriters and Modern Rock 2CD sets. I have a bunch but a few of the Modern Rock discs are way out of my price range. Mastering on both sets are generally really good. Dennis Drake did most of them.
    I started to collect the Time Life Classic Rock CDs (1964: The Beat Goes On, etc) and have about 18 of those. I don't know most of those songs though.
    Time Life Sounds of the Eighties is great and it has a bunch of the single edits if you are into that.
    I have a few of the older Playlist series CD's. Some are very good and a few have rare or hard to find edits or remixes of songs.

Pat

18. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

The EASY TEMPO series
    10 volumes of 60s and 70s Italian library music!

Get the originals! NOT the remasters!

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Those are definitely the rabbit hole to lead a person into the world of Euro cult soundtracks.

Dave112 likes this.
  20. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Trojan 3CD box sets...apart from a few stinkers (the Beatles and UK Ska onse are rare aberrations), overall they are excellent value sets

Dave112, Bassist, zither and 6 others like this.
  21. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Oh really? Usual 2000s brickwalling is it? I was thinking of picking up a couple of favourites on CD with my vinyl copies being a bit rough now.

Dave112 likes this.
  22. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

-I've enjoyed many of the Proper box sets out of the UK. Nicely curated compilations of Jazz / Blues / Country artists at affordable prices...
    -I'll second (or third?) the love for the time-life compilations. Surprisingly deep for what they are (greatest hits packages).
    -Grooves magazine was a series of CD's from 1994-1996 which focused on Alternative / Folk / Country / Blues with some exclusive tracks I've come to enjoy.
    -Musician magazine's "A Little on the CD side" compilations make for a good overview of the variety of music made in the 1990's but aren't quite as successful.
    -The UK Uncut & Mojo magazine compilations are actually pretty good, especially the artist / album cover series.
    -In terms of live compilations the King Biscuit and Mountain Stage CD series aren't bad.
    -If you're looking for more modern music the Radio 1's Live Lounge series may sway more pop than I'd like but can still be interesting from time to time as it's all live in the studio. There's always the Now That's What I Call Music series if your interested more in studio hits.
    -Compilations from US radio stations like KFOG / KGSR / WXRT & WXPN's Live at the World Café can be good refreshers of what's currently popular in AOR rock.
    Not sure if that's the kind of stuff you were looking for but that's what popped into my head when I started thinking about compilation series CD's.

Dave112 and SinnerSaint like this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ya know, considering Dennis Drake had the opportunity to not only correct some issues he may have had the first time around (originally "Super Hits"), but also any quirks Bill Inglot may have had with his Billboard Top 40 series for Joel Whitburn and Rhino, that's my choice as well.

The grand-daddy of musical 'Boomer-food.

24. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Soft Sounds for Gentle People is pretty groovy, and I do love the aforementioned AM Gold series by Time Life. Hard to Find 45s on CD has some pretty great volumes.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.