What is your favourite song from STAX records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychomodo, Nov 8, 2022.

1. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Atlantic apparently complained about that all the time to Stax, and they said 'yeah sure, we'll fix that'. And then sent it back exactly the way it was in the first place.

2. danasgoodstuff

Lest anyone think I don't appreciate later finger snap logo era Stax, here's Albert King doing James' Cold Sweat. I think it's a Bar Kays variant accompanying him and this was initially a non-album B-side.

Reid Smith and All Down The Line like this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have always wondered about that and if he got a little far "off" mic as he was getting down?

4. All Down The Line

Of course in 1973 they recorded a funky and extended Crosscut Saw with Al Jackson Jnr masterfully swapping the beat.

5. All Down The Line

Which I think along with the A side was Albert's first ever production credit.

6. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

Whoa, how do you even begin to pick a favorite from Stax/Volt? I've already seen about 25-30 of my favorites from the labels on this list, so here's a favorite from Mel & Tim that was the follow-up to the 1972 smash "Starting All Over Again." Memphis via Muscle Shoals -- it was not nearly as successful, but I sure like the groove.

Mel & Tim - I May Not Be What You Want (1973)

7. Trash Panda

Possibly the best blue-eyed soul singer on the Stax label was Johnny Daye. You can tell it's Booker T. & the MGs backing him up on this track. I really love the strong groove on this one.

Johnny Daye - What'll I Do For Satisfaction (1967)

8. Trash Panda

Mr. Daye could also do a sweet slow burn when the song called for it. I think I could listen to this one at least once every day for the rest of my life.

Johnny Daye - Stay Baby Stay (1968)

Bob J and Reid Smith like this.
  9. Trash Panda

Hard to pick a favorite from Eddie Floyd -- for me, it's a toss-up between "On a Saturday Night" and this one. I've enjoyed the gentle swaying vibe of this tune ever since I first heard it some 40+ years ago.

Eddie Floyd - Never Found a Girl (To Love Me Like You Do) (1968)

10. Trash Panda

This soulful duet grew on me gradually, until it's become one of my Stax favorites too. I also like their follow-up, "My Baby Specializes."

William Bell & Judy Clay - Private Number (1968)

11. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

that was their strength and our joy. Jackson jr was my childhood drum coach - but he never knew.

who else could hit a 1/4 note on a rack tom and have to sound like a drum fill.

12. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

The first song that came to mind was I'll Take You There.

Fabrice Outside and 7solqs4iago like this.
  13. All Down The Line

No surprise that a fellow player such as Charlie Watts really like him.

DISKOJOE, rkt88 and danasgoodstuff like this.
  14. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

From Willie Mitchell's Hi records and Al Green's tracks to Booker T & the MG's.

"The Human Timekeeper" Al Jackson Jr.

15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Love Bones - Johnnie Taylor
    ℗197O [UK] STAX 141

Trash Panda, CrawdaddySim1 and rkt88 like this.
  16. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I lasted up until the 30 second mark. He has 5 singles listed on Discogs so you collectors had better hop to it.

17. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

18. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

It still holds its place as the epitome of cool. Timeless.

Should be on the next Voyager-type disc they sound out to space.

Trash Panda, Reid Smith and rkt88 like this.
  19. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Too many greats to choose just one considering we're dealing with Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd, Sam & Dave, William Bell, The Mad Lads, etc.
    Among all the giants who recorded at Stax, this obscure song remains one of my favorites.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  20. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

The first complete Stax singles box set I owned was 1968-71, (the second in the series,) and I played those CD's to death!

So many great tracks to choose from, but "Jody's Got Your Girl and Gone" by Johnnie Taylor is a real favorite. For me, he was like Stax's version of David Ruffin, (the voice, not the life.)

"The Philosopher of Soul"

Reid Smith and bibijeebies like this.
  21. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Never heard this extended version ,seems alternate too ; any idea if this was ever released and where ?

22. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Bit weird to see here Wilson or Sam and Dave called Stax artists making Stax records. They were not.
    Apart from that impossible to choose one song but partial to "I forgot to be your lover "with a gun to my head

23. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

24. danasgoodstuff

All of Sam & Dave's major hits were recorded at Stax, with Stax session players and Stax staff songwriting; they were signed to Atlantic but worked as if they were on Stax. They toured Europe as part of Hit the Road Stax in '67. I'll take the reality of how the records got made over the illusion of corporate shell games. And in the States, most of their records appeared with Stax labels as well. For Picket, a guy who wrote very little and played not at all, I'd say the records made at Stax with Stax plaers and songwriting are Stax records and those done at Muscle shoals or American go in those piles. Interestingly, Pickett was IIRC the only artist on Atlantic to work with every studio band that they used in the '60s. So he makes for an interesting way to compare their differing approaches to making records.

25. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Sure but not signed by Stax , i read many books about Stax , been to the Museum twice in Memphis and am a huge Stax fans . Buy any of those fantastic singles box sets with their huge booklet telling the stories , no one ever call them Stax artists. I associate them with Atlantic , always.
    Etta James recording at Muscle Shoals but still very much a Chess artist , etc

leshafunk likes this.