What is your most valuable LP (according to auction results)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinylfindco, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well that indeed must be priceless since John Bonham died before it’s release. Are you sure it’s Coda that’s signed? Unless, of course, you are pulling everyone’s leg.

Giorgio likes this.
  2. BPrice

BPrice Senior Member

Wallflowers I guess. Bought it new.

3. My most valuable possession is my French CD EP for for Nonsuch that includes the poster. Andy signed it for me and drew a nice little picture for it and told he hadn’t seen it in quite sometime. It’s called /Griboullage and only 2500 were produced and given away with the French release of the album. It’s probably worth less because Andy signed it but, hey, I don’t care because my songwriting idol personalized it.

Ash76 likes this.
  4. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Currently, an original pressing of Darius on the Chartmaker label from 1968. Has sold anywhere from $400-1000, mostly NOS copies as the album sold so few on release. My copy is probably one of the few that was honestly played and used; too bad rare records aren't priced like rare postage stamps!

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  5. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I'm gonna guess it's my Nick Drake - Pink Moon, Island pink rim.

timnor likes this.
  6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

You are burdoned by one too many jazz records on this list. It's because of
    Sonny Rollins +4. I can help free you...

lemonade kid and joshm2286 like this.
  7. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Going strictly by the median value provided by Discogs, it's Pat Metheny's What It's All About. $142. Which, to be frank, is not a title I remember owning, but there it is.

8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I don't know how I got it (probably from a second LP I found in a classic vinyl shop), but I combined them into the better NM copy I have. The Pan card is pretty rare--goes for $200 from sources I've seen.

High? Maybe. But then price guides are there to provide a starting point and values are based on what a collector at any given point is willing to pay! So when one goes for a really high (often inflated to us) price, that is the benchmark for at least a while. I think they kind of see what the highs and lows are and make a judgement call by looking at the average price one should expect to pay....

My Goldmine book from around 1994 cites those two Beatles & Dylan rarities that went for $28,ooo. Is any album really worth that much!? I guess it is when someone shells out for it.

Anyway, I do love my Pan postcard...a pretty rare and strange Lennonon artifact. I wonder if John (the artist) Lennon came up with the concept/design. I'm thinking yes, as his dig at Paul with his pulling-the-ears-of-the-pig postcard was John's bit of humor.

9. lemonade kid

Love your avatar.

Had my original vinyl ("OAR") out the other day for a spin (favorite all-time album cover). It is NM so I am very careful, as always with my vinyl, but I still take Skip out for a spin from time to time. What else is vinyl there for but to be played and loved!?

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  10. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Yellow label promos of the first three VU records. The first two are low grade VG copies while the self titled is visually darn near perfect, though it sadly plays with distortion on Jesus and crackling throughout, either from groove damage or just poor pressing quality. Either way, I think they are probably each $200-$300 records, and I wouldn't part with any of them. I've seen beautiful copies of the VU and Nico promo records sell at $2k+, but this is not that lol.

I also have an original copy of At Home with Screamin Jay Hawkins in nice shape. Goldmine has it as a $800 record, but realistically they sell on ebay all day for $150-$200. Also a favorite of mine.

Giorgio, Summerisle and timnor like this.
  11. lemonade kid

Nice one on those VU....and especially for that Screamin' Jay!

Still, those ebay sellers (never trust most) -- they often way over-grade their LPs, as I learned many years ago. You can count on a NM grade being anything from VG+- to V-- (as in very bad).

If your Screamin' Jay is in NM shape or even VG+, it IS a valuable treasure to cherish, and a rarity. But in any shape, a treasure...love the cover.

Sane Man likes this.
  12. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

So true. I've been burned once or twice but the vast majority of my experiences have been positive, mainly because I take into account their feedback rating and any "red flags" that may make me question their honesty. (Excessively verbose listings or gradings like M---- or VG++++ are usually a dead giveaway). The best people I've found to buy from are those that are other record collectors that care about the music as much as you. The Screamin Jay cover is one of my absolute favorites as well. To imagine that existing on shelves in 1958 blows my mind. The record is VG+ and I love it dearly.

Bigbudukks likes this.
  13. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

There's complete LPs that sell on ebay (with the poster and Pan postcard) for under $50-. I wouldn't put the price of that postcard at $200-. More like $20- or so. I have one and would love for it to be worth more, but the reality is it isn't.

14. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I have white label promos of:

Beatles “Hard Days Night”
    Jimi Hendrix “Are You Experienced?” (Mono)

And a NM- 2nd State Butcher Cover

Bigbudukks likes this.
  15. Beck Sea Change Mofi & Marvin Gaye What's Going On? Mofi. Two classics.

16. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

well,

promo cd - pet shop boys - always on my mind - $400 (max)

single cd - simple minds - real live 91 (fanclub) - $389 (max)

mini cd- depeche mode - strangelove 88 - $249

lp - cabaret voltaire - plasticity (2xlp) - $246

cdv - new order - blue monday 88 - $246

SACD - simple minds - new gold dream - $184

12 inch - underworld - mother earth - $173

7 inch - blancmange - irene and mavis - $160

laserdisc - depeche mode - the world we live in and live in hamburg - $147
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    most of these are near the same median price in discogs also.

later

17. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

That Dancetaria looks covetable...

18. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Not to mention the ones that emphasise how shiny it is. IT LOOKS NM! What they neglect to tell the uninitiated is it probably plays like a gravel road.

Anyway, in keeping with the spirit of this thread my most valuable record (according to fleabay and discogs) is the One Step of Santana Abraxas. I wish I had bought more than one so the one I keep would have been free. + profit. The price just keeps going up and up.

19. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Most valuable LP I have is apparently Savoy Brown Blues Band's 'Shake Down' (mono) at just over £90. Couldn't believe it when I first saw that valuation. I do have a single that's valued slightly higher (£96+) - Water Woman by Amazing Friendly Apple. On the other hand, I have loads of records that are worth a couple of pounds or so.

20. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

I’ve a vinyl copy of Prince’s “The Rainbow Children” that went for £690 or so on Ebay lately

21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Hard to discern sarcasm on the Internet sometimes.....

22. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Dead Can Dance - In Concert 3-LP box set. Lowest BIN on Ebay is $259. I paid less than that but still more than a c-note.

It's something that I could have gotten cheaper on CD but being a DCD completist I finally gave in and bought it, wish I had made the purchase when it first came out.

single LP? A French group called Asylum Party. Their first album Borderline routinely sells for over $200USD. I got mine, via a seller in Israel (!!!), for $90. At the time it was my single largest expenditure on a record.

RandelPink likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Inflated prices should be taken with a pinch of salt, the box starts at 100€ at Discogs. Which is probably more realistic.

24. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

True that - problem of mine taking Ebay at face value ! Though the is a price jump in used versus sealed (what I bought).

25. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Pearl Jam - Live at Benaroya Hall.

Ranges from $1800-$2000 on the open market.

Lucca90 and WhoTapes1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.